Thread: Free Magic Bullet for Sony Vegas

Default Free Magic Bullet for Sony Vegas

Okay so I'm new here so I really haven't played around with my programs yet since I have yet gotten a firewire cable (I shot footage yesterday)...BUT I was crusing around and found Magic Bullet for free for Sony Vegas...

Just go to http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...es/vegasfamily

Under Vegas 5.0 click on Magic Bullet... or go to
    http://dspcdn.sonymediasoftware.com/...looks1.0.2.exe

So far it worked with test footage of mine that I recorded from a crappy digital camera, but is this the same?

UPDATE: Eugenia found http://download.sonymediasoftware.co...ielooks_hd.exe
    This has more features and is HD
    Last edited by ken2323; 2008 April 14th at 12:34.

Legend

I have Movielooks HD sitting in my Vegas install folder. Don't know where I got it from, but it's there. Probably from Vegas 7...
    Sharp Shooter

This is the older version, which is not GPU-accelerated, so it's extra slow. Before I bought the accelerated 2.0 version, I used to use that (it used to come for free with Vegas). It takes hours to render something, but it works.

In addition to those I just installed the five more looks including...

Black Diffusion
    Black Diffusion reduces contrast without muddying the image.

Ohio
    Inspired by the strong blue tone colors and the white highlights in the home scenes in the movie Traffic, this look delivers very strong contrast, some diffusion and a heavy purple cast to your image.

Grad Sky
    Add a subtle richness to skies without changing the overall tone dramatically. This look is best used on outdoor shots.

Tint Coral
    Similar to a pink or coral tinted camera filter, this looks gives a pink tone to the whole image while preserving color saturation. This look also adds some contrast to the original footage.

White Diffusion 5.0
    White Diffusion lightens the image and softens the highlights.

The link for that is http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/vegas5looks.html
    After you install the Magic Bullet install this...

BTW, the version of Magic Bullet you should be downloading is the following instead (from Sony's web site, seems to be a free, legal, download), not the one linked above:
    http://download.sonymediasoftware.co...ielooks_hd.exe
    This is the "HD" version of MB, it's a newer version and includes the extra looks too (still not accelerated though).
    Last edited by Eugenia Loli-Queru; 2008 April 14th at 17:50.

Legend

Yes, that's the one I have. Previewing SD video crawls to a snail's pace... but some very nice looks. Could probably emulate them using Cc, though.
    Sharp Shooter

Some of them are not easily emulatable, e.g. the "Miami" look.

Thanks for looking out Eugenia, there's even more options in the HD version

Just been playing with this for a bit, LOVE the epic setting and the Night Time one.
    Panasonic HMC 151E - Canon HV20 - Twoneil 35mm Static Adapter - Nikon f1.4 50mm - Rode Videomic - 2x AudioTechnica ATR35 - Zoom H2 - Steadicam JR - Custom LED Lamp

My favorite ones are: No85, Bleach Bypass, Curahee, Green Pearl. There are 4-5 other plugins that do well on specific scenes only. The rest are of little interest to me...

Valued Member

Well, as Eugenia said, this version is deadly slow.

I took a short m2t file, put a standard filter on it that comes with Vegas 8 Pro, rendered it to a mpeg-2, and it took 34 seconds to render.

I took that same m2t file (made sure I took off the first filter), applied a free Magic Bullet filter, rendered it to mpeg-2 with the same settings, and it took 904 seconds! LOL. This makes these unusable unless I don't need the computer for a full day. LOL

Preview of it was fast enough though.

Brian

I do most of my HD renders overnight anyway when Im doing final output (coz I use NeatVideo which is a killer on the system) so MB shouldnt be too bad to throw on the pile too for that kinda stuff.
    Panasonic HMC 151E - Canon HV20 - Twoneil 35mm Static Adapter - Nikon f1.4 50mm - Rode Videomic - 2x AudioTechnica ATR35 - Zoom H2 - Steadicam JR - Custom LED Lamp

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
    I do most of my HD renders overnight anyway when Im doing final output (coz I use NeatVideo which is a killer on the system) so MB shouldnt be too bad to throw on the pile too for that kinda stuff.
    Hey ya, if you're going to do that anyways, this is a great option, and no need for the pro version of it. There are some good color / contrast tweaks in there.

I think for fun, I'm going to try and mimic some of the cool ones with just Vegas, and see if I can pull off some of those Magic Bullet ones.

Brian

Default New Version of Magic Bullet for Vegas

It is a long story, but I am currently beta testing for Red Giant
    Magic Bullet Looks for Vegas.
    I must say my initial impression is very positive, this is a very easy program to use. If you like the old version, the new version is a very intuitive program. I wish all programs would be like this.
    I am using it on a homebuilt dual core amd cpu computer.
    Eugenia just a note, I am the Jim that used to post on your blog
    Jim

I would strongly recomend that all Vegas users download the demo of MB looks 1.1!

Legend

It's very nice, but even on a multi-core processor it takes ages to render footage. Be prepared to wait...
    Sharp Shooter

I'm very disappointed to hear, that MB effects take so, so long to render, at least by the comments above. I used it with a version of Adobe Pro back around 2004 or so, and I loved the epic effect among others. I though that this great software would be even better and faster by now. Does Vegas Pro use MB any better (efficiency) than CS3?

I think its entirely GPU dependant in looks 1.1 - I think it renders acceptably in Vegas

Nice to see these links still work! Just about to reinstall and glad they are still active as I didnt save the .EXE before

So am I guessing correctly then that MB Quick Looks will render faster than my free Vegas Movie Looks HD plugin on Vegas 8 Pro because my video card will be utilized?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightloch View Post
    So am I guessing correctly then that MB Quick Looks will render faster than my free Vegas Movie Looks HD plugin on Vegas 8 Pro because my video card will be utilized?
    Yup!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein