Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analog/Digital Conversion or DV Passthrough

Default Analog/Digital Conversion or DV Passthrough

I read this somewhere but can't remember where or if it was for the HV20.

I have an older Canon camcorder that uses the Hi8 tapes. I thought I read that I could connect the older camcorder to the HV20 and be able to transfer the footage from my old tapes to the computer through the HV20. Does that sound accurate or make any sense? I have several old vacation tapes that I never did anything with and was thinking it would be neat if I got the HV20 to be able to transfer that footage to the computer for editing.

If this is possible is there a website somewhere that describes what steps to do? Which cables to connect, etc?

Thanks!
    Eric

It's on page 71 of the manual. Line-in recording.

Actually, I think you want to look a couple pages later on page 73. The feature is called 'Analog/Digital Conversion' or sometimes 'DV Passthrough'.

You connect the audio/video out of your old camcorder to the AV-in port of the HV20. Then you connect the firewire cable between the HV20 and the PC (like you would for a normal capture). Finally, set the AV->DV to on so that it will passthrough the analog signal to the DV output (bypassing the tape).

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900000649/HV20NIM1-EN.pdf

Thanks guys! This is another reason this camcorder seems so appealing. I am working on getting my computers ready for the HV20 and will probably get it.

actually, many cheap miniDV camcorder has such feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C View Post
    Thanks guys! This is another reason this camcorder seems so appealing. I am working on getting my computers ready for the HV20 and will probably get it.

Good choice. I have used the HV20 for this purpose and it worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taky View Post
    actually, many cheap miniDV camcorder has such feature.

A/V inputs used to be somewhat common on camcorders, but the feature is rapidly (and sadly) disappearing on newer camcorder models.

Good that my Matrox RT.X2 card has component input. I can record old analog video in to HDV format (1440x1080) MPEG I-Frame video.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Taky View Post
    Good that my Matrox RT.X2 card has component input. I can record old analog video in to HDV format (1440x1080) MPEG I-Frame video.
    Why on earth would you want to record SD video in an HD format?! Is someone sponsoring you to use as much Hard Disk Drive space as possible?!

Cheers,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Why on earth would you want to record SD video in an HD format?! Is someone sponsoring you to use as much Hard Disk Drive space as possible?!

Cheers,
    David.
    I would think, and this is just my opinion, that you would get better quality archiving if you dod it that way. Recording old quality vhs onto old SD would probably degrade the image...maybe...but into a higher format would preserve the current quality of the image???? Don't kow if this makes sense....but it does to me.

Maybe it does not matter.... who knows... I've never heard of anything archiving in any HD format.... It was always SD anyways.

It's good to have such option.

Now I remember. I was wanting to capture my computer screen playing back a flash animation. If I can get it record to a higher resolution, I can have better result scaling it down.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=538

Just like, scanning a photo, it's always better scan a photo to a higher resolution and then scale down for delivery.

I was told it might turn into another tape-related thread so it was stuck onto the end of this one.

Yeah I know, it's going to be pretty time consuming. I'm searching the forum right now to see if this thing will work as a pass-through device and convert AV to DV to capture bits via Firewire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    I'm searching the forum right now to see if this thing will work as a pass-through device and convert AV to DV to capture bits via Firewire.

I have an older Sony Mini-DV SD cam that I believe operates this way - analog input to the camera, simultaneous (sp?) DV capture via FireWire. I've never tried it before but I've been told it works. The camera only has to be on.

Frank

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

My old Elura 100 does that. It can either record to tape and output via FireWire, or just output via FireWire without recording. Nice for recording SD from TV. But I don't use it anymore, takes too much time converting DV to something else, like MPEG-2 or DivX. Nowadays I prefer my Archos media player, it captures directly to MPEG-4. Its deinterlacing sucks but it is good enough for everyday watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MovieBlog View Post
    Actually, I think you want to look a couple pages later on page 73. The feature is called 'Analog/Digital Conversion' or sometimes 'DV Passthrough'.

You connect the audio/video out of your old camcorder to the AV-in port of the HV20. Then you connect the firewire cable between the HV20 and the PC (like you would for a normal capture). Finally, set the AV->DV to on so that it will passthrough the analog signal to the DV output (bypassing the tape).

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900000649/HV20NIM1-EN.pdf
    After a LOT of searching on this forum, I found the exact way to transfer old home movies VHS tapes from my VCR to my iMac using the HV30 as a passthrough. Now I can edit and put them onto DVDs for family members.

One question, though.

I heard that S-Video would give a better picture quality than the way I've been doing it with the Red/Yellow/White supplied stereo cable to the camcorder's AV input. I've read a couple of places that I can't recall that if your VCR has S-Video out that it's better to use that. My poor VHS tapes are degrading so badly that ANY picture quality boost I can give them would definitely help. My captured video of them, played on my iMovie and my computer monitor as I capture, doesn't look as good as it does on the TV. Maybe S-Video would help that?

If so, before I invest in a S-Video cable... how would I set this up?

Thanks so much for any help with this, Deborah

Quick Addendum.... Would using the supplied Component Cable work, too? Would it offer better picture quality than the Red/Yellow/White supplied stereo cable? Better than the possible S-Video idea?
    Last edited by DebG.; 2009 January 13th at 16:42.
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com

It's a practice called 'bumping up' in analogue video parlance. Example: copying VHS video to SVHS format. SVHS to Beta SP and so on. It won't add anything more 'quality-wise' but keeps analogue generational loss to a minimum. You are converting analogue to digital so the quality really depends on how good your converter is and the settings you use.

In terms of connection quality, 1 being the highest:
    1. HDMI
    2. Component RGB
    3. S-Video
    4. RCA or COMPOSITE (The yellow (video signal) red and white (audio L & R) cable you refer to.

Don't overspend on your cables. As long as lengths are kept reasonable, most any decent SVHS cable will do. Monster cables and oxygen-free cables have been proven to be marketing BS, especially in shorter lengths. Some people still believe the hype just like they think their car runs better after they wash and wax it. No kidding.
    Last edited by previdman; 2009 January 22nd at 00:43.
    I know enough to know what works ... at least until it blows up. Then I know it don't.

SVHS? Do you mean SVideo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
    SVHS? Do you mean SVideo.
    Good catch. Thanks LB. Post edited.
    I know enough to know what works ... at least until it blows up. Then I know it don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DebG. View Post
    I heard that S-Video would give a better picture quality than the way I've been doing it with the Red/Yellow/White supplied stereo cable to the camcorder's AV input.
    In the unlikely event that you're still searching, Deb, no, the yellow composite cable is the best way to get analog video into your HV. (Actually, it's the only way: the analog AV jacks and the FireWire port are the only ports on the camera which can act as either input or output. The component and HDMI interfaces are output only. And you have probably noticed by now, but there's no S-Video port, either.)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    Recording old quality vhs onto old SD would probably degrade the image...maybe...but into a higher format would preserve the current quality of the image???? Don't kow if this makes sense....but it does to me.
    No, it makes no sense. The VHS is SD - it has 480 lines, or 576 lines. The best way to preseve it is to keep exactly those video lines that you have.

Those lines will be copied, as-is, with mild DCT compression if you use DV, and with no lossy compression at all if you use a dedicated capture card and lossless codec.

If you upsample to HD, you won't have the original 480 or 576 lines any more. You will have no way of getting the original lines back either. SD>HD is one lot of interpolation. HD>SD is another. You won't get back what you started with.

It also means that, if you later get a better method of upsampling SD>HD, you can't use it, because you already have HD, and not the original SD any more.

Viewing or using SD in HD is another matter - by all means upscale it the best you can. But the HD version isn't the "archive" / "master".

Cheers,
    David.

Default Record VHS to DV

Is there anyway I can do this with the HV30. I can record footage from the hv30 to vhs but I really want to get footage from the VHS onto my hv30. If you guys have any ideas I would truly appreciate the help.

Hi, theclaw, and welcome to the forum!

You're in luck: hook your VCR's RCA outputs up to the HV's A/V inputs (you'll need some RCA female-to-female barrel connectors from Radio Shack or elsewhere), make sure the "AV/PHONES" setting in the HV's menu is set to AV and you should be ready to go (see your Instruction Manual for more details).

Why does everyone always say you need barrel connectors? All you need to do is plug the HV30's composite cable into the VCR's output. No need for an additional cable, unless you can't get the camera close enough.

thanks for the info, and I notice you're from Akron, Im from Canton, what up?

Thread merged and added to the FAQ question #20.