Thread: Firewire

Newbie Member

Default Firewire

So, I'm a new owner of an old HV20 (don't have much money to spare so I picked a relatively inexpensive model). Unfortunately, being fairly inexperienced with this wave of digital cameras (seriously, the best I've used is a Kodak flip cam), I didn't really know what was necessary for it. I looked around online and found I needed a 4-6 pin firewire to transfer video to my PC, and proceeded to buy one, but, having just gotten it, I find it doesn't fit. Worse, I can't find where it would fit into my computer. So, could any of you tell me what my options should be before I waste more money?

You need to get a Firewire card and install it in your computer. It's an option, not included, in most PCs.

Do you have a firewire card in your computer?? I know I had to buy one when I bought HV30 four years ago.. Most motherboards (and computer cases) don't have firewire card so I suppose you will have to buy one and install it on your MBO. Don't worry, those card are very cheap :-)

Legend

From now on do your research before you buy. This will prevent you from "wasting" money in the future. To get the best advice here, you first should post your computer's specification since your editor works best as a system.

As for you firewire, I can't tell if you got the wrong cable or don't have the ports. If its a Mac (as I suspect from your description--though it too is confusing), all you need is the correct cable or adapter.

He said "PC"...

Quote Originally Posted by Krane View Post
    If its a Mac

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    He said "PC"...
    I saw that. But he also mentioned 4-6 pin firewire which is a Mac specification.

Huh? 6-pin is the standard FW400 plug with bus power.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Quote Originally Posted by Krane View Post
    But he also mentioned 4-6 pin firewire which is a Mac specification.
    It's the general specification for a camera-to-computer FW cable. It can also be 4-9 pin, for the newer 800-speed FW.

If you don't have the correct info, don't advice...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Huh? 6-pin is the standard FW400 plug with bus power.
    Which has nothing to do with the gist of the question. Nor render my advice void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    It's the general specification for a camera-to-computer FW cable. It can also be 4-9 pin, for the newer 800-speed FW.

If you don't have the correct info, don't advice...
    You're simply creating confusion where none exists. I am aware of all of the firewire connections since I have them all. None of that discounts my solution. You have simply added details that are unnecessary.

In the future focus on the important facts, and avoid minutiae that do nothing to improve the quality of the post.
    Last edited by Krane; 2012 April 30th at 21:23.

For those without firewire on a newer laptop, you might want to look into the Pinnacle Studio Moviebox HD. It uses USB 2 to connect to the computer and says it can capture HDV over firewire with full device control. Could be that elusive firewire to USB adapter. $99

Khaver, that thing is interesting for "home movies", but its output is very limited, especially in bitrates. It is better to spend a bit more for a USB3 Decklink card or something like that.

I would never use it for analog video but as a FireWire to USB for DV And HDV capture bitrates aren't involved, unless it converts the dv and HDV to analog inside the box then sends that over the USB. If that's the case then it's crap.

I had the same issue when I got my HV30 recently, i.e no 1394 on the main PC, picked up a gigabyte S1155 with 1394 on-board for about £55.00, sold the old foxconn board on fleabay for £30.00, and the gigabyte is a much better board

Khaver, we tried that thing (or something similar - can't remember) somewhen. It delivered some pretty highly compressed MP4 that was close to useless for real editing.