Thread: T3i footage plays back dark?

Default T3i footage plays back dark?

So, I shot with 2 camera's last night.. my gh2 and a T3i (Shaun, gonna have your work cut out for you!)

Anyway, I checked everything beforehand.. and on my GH2.. WYSIWYG most of the time. The colors and brightness are all pretty close to accurate on the screen/viewfinder.

I thought we were good on the t3i, and we were....

but apparently media player, sucks at playing back t3i clips and they were WAY too dark.. almost black..

So I bring em into premiere.. and voila.. not so dark anymore.

I can play em in vlc and they look correct but vlc plays them all choppy and quicktime is "too" bright.. Shaun what are your settings for quicktime?
    www.exit101movie.com
    exit101movie.blogspot.com

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

As I suggested on your FaceBook page, try the K-Lite Codec Pack, according to what you need and the version of you OS.
    It's the best so far. I personally didn't liked the VLC experience. Maybe a bad package...That's me though.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by azmyth View Post
    So, I shot with 2 camera's last night.. my gh2 and a T3i (Shaun, gonna have your work cut out for you!)

Anyway, I checked everything beforehand.. and on my GH2.. WYSIWYG most of the time. The colors and brightness are all pretty close to accurate on the screen/viewfinder.

I thought we were good on the t3i, and we were....

but apparently media player, sucks at playing back t3i clips and they were WAY too dark.. almost black..
    Two thoughts come to mind here.

1: Get another GH2 body. I got one from Illya Friedman (the guy who modifies video gear for PL cinema lenses) used but in just about "mint" condition for $645. With what you're working on you need two cameras of matching output and characteristics. I'm kind of looking for a second one also (follow my own advice).

So I bring em into premiere.. and voila.. not so dark anymore.

I can play em in vlc and they look correct but vlc plays them all choppy and quicktime is "too" bright.. Shaun what are your settings for quicktime?
    2: That shouldn't be. VLC is a pretty "stout" media player, what are the processor "specs" on the PC you're using to review stuff? Older versions of VLC have been playing "stutter" free on relatively fast quad core processor based machines for me. I also seem to be able to "review" on location with a dual core 2.0Ghz laptop.

There is a newer version (2.0.1 for Windows) I just installed it and that may work better with what you're using.

But as long as the footage all looks good in Premiere, you're OK. But I sure would do what I could to be working with a pair of compatible with each other cameras. That's how I wound up with two HF100s.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

I agree, but sometimes you work with what you have available!

I'm running a core i7 at 3ghz, 16gb ram
    www.exit101movie.com
    exit101movie.blogspot.com

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

I agree, but sometimes you work with what you have available! : I'm running a core i7 at 3ghz, 16gb ram
    Wow...just that! How can I do things with my poor 2.9 Dual Core AMD with only 8GB or ram...I wonder...
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Forum Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    Wow...just that! How can I do things with my poor 2.9 Dual Core AMD with only 8GB or ram...I wonder...
    Overclocking!

I agree, but sometimes you work with what you have available!

I'm running a core i7 at 3ghz, 16gb ram
    That should work. I ran older versions of VLC on a Q6600 (quad core) 2.4Ghz. And on the aforementioned dual core 2.0Ghz laptop.

Download and try the new version of VLC. It may work smoother.

From VideoLan's site:

Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed:
    MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict