Thread: Which camcorder to buy to go along with my HV30?

Default Which camcorder to buy to go along with my HV30?

Ok... I have HV30 for a 4 years now. It's my only camcorder. I finished writing a script for a short movie which I want to shoot with at least two camcorders. Which means I should get a second camera to record along with my HV30. I did my research but was overwhelmed with so many Canon models that came after HV30. I don't even know where to begin.

So, I would be very grateful to anyone who is able to recommend a decent camcorder that matches (image quality wise) to my HV30. Also, I'm a bit thin (like all of us) on budget so anything below 400$ would be acceptable.

Thanks.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CeboAmebo View Post
    Ok... I have HV30 for a 4 years now. It's my only camcorder. I finished writing a script for a short movie which I want to shoot with at least two camcorders. Which means I should get a second camera to record along with my HV30. I did my research but was overwhelmed with so many Canon models that came after HV30. I don't even know where to begin.

So, I would be very grateful to anyone who is able to recommend a decent camcorder that matches (image quality wise) to my HV30. Also, I'm a bit thin (like all of us) on budget so anything below 400$ would be acceptable.

Thanks.
    The HVxx was a top of the line consumer camera when it was release. An equivalent camera in today's market would cost well over $1,200. Nothing at that price point you mentioned would come close. If however you're referring to HD quality video then there are many cameras that offer that capability (like GoPro products) that may satisfy your needs.

What's your editing setup? Enough power to handle AVCHD instead of HDV? Can you mix & match?

Seriously, if you intend to keep using the HV, then you might consider getting another one... I note that the HV40 is heavily discounted, now. Around 500 euros, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    What's your editing setup? Enough power to handle AVCHD instead of HDV? Can you mix & match?

Seriously, if you intend to keep using the HV, then you might consider getting another one... I note that the HV40 is heavily discounted, now. Around 500 euros, here.
    I have a good computer and CS4 for editing. What do you mean by mix & match?

Yeah, I looked it up, 700USD on Amazon for hv40 and 600USD on b&h video, so they are still selling. It's a reasonable price I guess but I still don't have that much.

What do you mean by mix & match?
    You need to choose one editing codec, I'd think. Don't know CS4 too well...

Editing AVCHD needs much more computer power than HDV.

Legend

Impossible to tell without knowing more about his editor's specifications. As for Adobe Premiere, anything north of CS5 can handle mixed/match codeces.

Quote Originally Posted by Krane View Post
    Impossible to tell without knowing more about his editor's specifications. As for Adobe Premiere, anything north of CS5 can handle mixed/match codeces.
    So CS4 doesn't support AVCHD and DV mixed together? I guess I must get CS5 then.

Legend

So CS4 doesn't support AVCHD and DV mixed together? I guess I must get CS5 then.
    I'm not sure for CS4; maybe it can? But I only know for sure about CS5 and beyond since thats when 64bit processing became mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Krane View Post
    I'm not sure for CS4; maybe it can? But I only know for sure about CS5 and beyond since thats when 64bit processing became mainstream.
    Ok. Thanks.