3 27.27%
  • I would try DIY first.

1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Mattebox

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Default Inexpensive Mattebox

Just wanted to share: a 175$ complete MatteBox, as it seems like a nice item for the price, and the seller is one that I vouch for:

Now I don't know about the quality of the whole thing, but it certainly looks good (for the price). I might even try to convince Charlie to invest in one!
    What do you think?
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Judging from the pics, it does look well made and fully adjustable. I would be interested but the problem for European buyers are shipping costs, import duties and VAT. That makes something that looks affordable often expensive.

Lou
    S/W: Sony Vegas Pro 12, PC: Processor Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Camera: HF M41 PAL, WD-H43 Wide Adapter, Røde VM/SVM + Canon DM-100 mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou van Wijhe View Post
    Judging from the pics, it does look well made and fully adjustable. I would be interested but the problem for European buyers are shipping costs, import duties and VAT. That makes something that looks affordable often expensive.
    1) It looks just as good as many others, for half the price...
    2) I get your point. I had to pay 57$ when I ordered my Twoneil that's been shipped via UPS as "customs fees"...Other than this, when I order something that's shipped via regular mail, it rarely cost something.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    1) It looks just as good as many others, for half the price...
    2) I get your point. I had to pay 57$ when I ordered my Twoneil that's been shipped via UPS as "customs fees"...Other than this, when I order something that's shipped via regular mail, it rarely cost something.
    I just saw that the unit is shipped from Shanghai, not from the US, which can make a difference in custom fees and VAT when ordered from Europe. Furthermore, $175 is not for the unit as in the pics. Complete with rails, camera plate and tripod plate, it costs $275.

Lou
    S/W: Sony Vegas Pro 12, PC: Processor Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Camera: HF M41 PAL, WD-H43 Wide Adapter, Røde VM/SVM + Canon DM-100 mic.

I understand Lou, but considering a Chroziel mattebox can go up to 900-1000$, I think this one seems like a good compromise.

Also, I've got a reply from the seller about a possible discount on it and got a code for a 5$ reduction (valid for a month) attached.
    Another thing that he pointed me out, on his website (not directly from ebay) the price is slightly lower, running at 160$ shipped via regular airmail.
    I've just created an account on his website, allowing to pay via Paypal as well, and using the discount code you can get one shipped via regular mail for 155$, which seems like a good deal!
    What do you think?
    Attached Files Attached Files

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

This guy may get a buyer out of me. One of the many things on my list is a mattebox and rails, as I've not not gotten that far with my gear. Once I make the plunge on my GH2... I'll then get a mattebox

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    One of the many things on my list is a mattebox and rails, as I've not not gotten that far with my gear.
    The whole kit is more expensive, but you get everything you need when you start from nothing.

I remain tempted. I have a WD-H43 wide adapter with a 74.5mm front lens diameter on my HV20/HF M41. This adapter delivers an excellent picture quality but it doesn't have a front lens thread so I use a Canon A1 lens hood on it with a piece of tape to make it fit. This mattebox would be a much more elegant solution.

Lou

I remain tempted.
    Same here.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Picture 1.jpg

Not much...

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    Not much...
    He has many other items on his ebay store. His website looks quite new, which would explain why there's only two items featured for now.

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    He has many other items on his ebay store. His website looks quite new, which would explain why there's only two items featured for now.
    R.J. (Rong Jin) mailed me as follows:
    ...and just let you know that I just started my own web site... before I used ebay for all the sales.. (but they intend to put more and more charges on us :-)

I shall put more items on my own site soon... and with, surely, marked-down price than with ebay
    On Ebay he has 37 pages full of gear.

Lou

P.S. Drapeama: Thanks for drawing attention to this!
    Last edited by Lou van Wijhe; 2012 April 16th at 04:36.

Nice of him to offer products on his dedicated site to get us better prices. Next time I'm shopping for gear I'll check it out.

P.S. Drapeama: Thanks for drawing attention to this!
    No Problems! I'm always looking for a good deal: quality vs price. So I thought it'd be legit to offer this to others as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    Nice of him to offer products on his dedicated site to get us better prices. Next time I'm shopping for gear I'll check it out.
    Yep, really nice. I'll check if there's anything else I could make to put even more attention on it, and by the way, getting an even better price for it.
    Stay tuned.

I took the plunge and ordered the complete rig directly from his web-shop. I'll communicate my experiences once I have received and used it.

Lou

I took the plunge and ordered the complete rig directly from his web-shop. I'll communicate my experiences once I have received and used it.
    That's nice! I hope (I'm quite confident though) that it'll worth the price paid. I'll definitively wait on your review!

excited to see your review on it Lou,

It's a great price for everything, this might have to go on my cavision rails...

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    excited to see your review on it Lou. It's a great price for everything, this might have to go on my cavision rails...
    Just as I do!
    I hope I'll be able to get enough money to buy one for my birthday (May 13th...) who knows.
    So far I'm glad Lou took the lead and bought one. Hope he won't be the last!

The money is no problem. I told the kids I'll deduct it from the inheritance.

Lou

Just to add, as it's from the same seller:
    RJ FollowFocus

Which seems to worth every cents spent on it.

I received the rig this morning and it is top quality for a very moderate price.

IMG_0738.jpg

I chose "expedite shipping" (at $19 more) and it arrived, very well packed, in Holland from Shanghai in 6 days. As soon as I have checked it out and aligned my camera on it, I'll come back to the subject.

Lou

that does look great!

look forward to hearing more about fit.

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    that does look great!
    look forward to hearing more about fit.
    Indeed! I can't wait to get a review of it!
    So far, the only thing that's bugging me would be dealing with the 4x4 filters: some other model got bad reviews about the filters being loose in the holders.

I had a ND8 4x4 filter. If only I would know where I put it...

Lou

That looks sweet!!!! I want one!!! But I can't afford it!! Damn!