Thread: ATR6550 - the mic no one talks about

Valued Member

Default ATR6550 - the mic no one talks about

Hey guys, i haven't been here for a while
    but im going to Haiti for a humanitarian trip and i going to be filming the trip

im a cheap guy, and dont have a lot of money
    but i wanted to "invest" into a mic

so i have been looking mainly at the ATR6550 which has good reviews on B&H but
    i couldn't find many good reviews anywhere online
    and you guys are the experts, so i need your opinion

thanks!
    and feel free to recommend other cheapo mics, shotgun, anything better then the on-board mic really

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blabb View Post
    im a cheap guy, and dont have a lot of money but i wanted to "invest" into a mic
    [...]
    and feel free to recommend other cheapo mics, shotgun, anything better then the on-board mic really
    1) I know! I usually try to find the best cheap to quality ratio when I buy or build something.
    2) I'd point out the HDTZ-81 (as well as user Almohada would!) as a cheap but similar mic to the ATR you've pointed. Also, one mic that I like for "live" capture when recording video is the MB4K from Audio-Technica. It's mainly a voice mic, but camera mounted it can perform rather well to pick up voices while not picking up much noise, see here:

And finally, here's a review of all the mic I've owned since I started:

And here's a comparison between a Lav mic (Left channel) while using a boomed Røde NTG-2 shotgun (Right channel):

Judge by yourself!
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.