Thread: "The Ultimate Betrayal" - Short Film

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Default "The Ultimate Betrayal" - Short Film

Hey guys;

Firstly: the film.

This was all shot in a day (with one pickup shot done the next day), as part of a collaboration with my friend Bart from Forgotten Walrus Entertainment. You'll probably recognise him from a few videos I've posted here (Namely "Inside The Walrus" which was a doco I did as part of my film studies assignment last year). Bart has moved away from where I live, so when he contacted me about coming down for 4 days to do some filming, I jumped at the chance. I had all of about two days to dream up an idea (as did he), and this is what I came up with. We also shot another, which I'll post when it's done... but that one is his film. This one was under my control.

Things I learned from this shoot? Have a goddamn boom operator. I know my audio is cruddy for the most part, but in the end I was glad to have finally done a short film after all this time. I've been doubting my abilities as a film maker (figured I was destined to rot in videography for the rest of my life) for a few months now, after not coming up with any ideas for films. When Bart offered to travel down for some collaborating... I got my anus into gear and wrote whatever came to mind. My GH1 is becoming a pain in the ass. At least four times I had it crap out on me during a take. I guess the particular hack I'm using doesn't like trees, as every time I tried to film that wide shot of Bart in his car, it would stop 10 seconds into the recording. I love my tripod! Honestly, it's the film-makers best tool... I also love my shoulder mount, but I'm beginning to see just how useful this tripod is for film making (and not just videography).

For those that care for technical stuff:
    This was all shot on the Panasonic GH1, kit 14-42mm lens and the Rode Videomic and Zoom H1 for audio. Edited all in Sony Vegas 11, with some audio parts tweaked in Adobe Audition.

All in all, this was a very fun shoot. I'm glad I got the opportunity to do it, but I'm prepared to step up my "game" for the next film.

Cool stuff. Good idea but I thought it was VERY slow. You could've at least showed us what they were texting. It could have been cut down more. And probably lose the titles like "2 months later". What would make it much much better would be the ending... How about if his car didn't start? He'd be screwed. Then you could add police sirens and fade out. My favorite part was him in the car going nuts and honking the horn. What makes it even funnier is how the horn squeals and glitches. Now if you also had him doing that at the very end when his car doesn't start I think it would be complete. In the beginning, just cut to the chase that he's re writing it as his own.

Congrats though, keep at it.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    Cool stuff. Good idea but I thought it was VERY slow.
    Thanks for sitting through it though...

You could've at least showed us what they were texting.
    I showed what they were texting. First, you had the phone call which told about the script... then the text in response.

The other parts where buttons were pressed were "numbers" being dialed. So... yeah.

What would make it much much better would be the ending... How about if his car didn't start? He'd be screwed.
    Interesting take, but I prefer my ending.

As I said Almo, excuses or not, this is my first short film in over 6 months that I actually wrote and directed myself. It might be the very thing lalalala is made of... but I'm glad I got out and filmed something.

And please excuse what I'm saying, if it comes across as defensive. I'm actually just glad to have shot and finished something. What I had was a basic idea of a film, and went with it. I attempted to be stylish with my shots, which I think I achieved.

I'd appreciate any other criticism... I'm getting antsy here. It's been online for a few hours, and almost nobody I know (here or on Facebook) have given me anything so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    Things I learned from this shoot? Have a goddamn boom operator. I know my audio is cruddy for the most part,
    I almost never have a boom operator. I even have to be my own sound guy. So one solution I've come up with that can work well is to have a mic (or zoom recorder) on a light stand I set up so that the mic/recorder is just barely out of the frame. That way I can get it in close almost as if it were "boomed". I even have a boom I can attach to that stand so I can suspend a mic just over and in front of the talent.

Not the same flexibility as having a boom operator but it can help some.

My GH1 is becoming a pain in the ass. At least four times I had it crap out on me during a take. I guess the particular hack I'm using doesn't like trees, as every time I tried to film that wide shot of Bart in his car, it would stop 10 seconds into the recording.
    It may have given you some trouble but what you used looked good. Very good clarity overall. Your problem with it is one reason I'm wary of "hacks". They can have unpredictable behavior, the guy who sold me my GH2 offered to leave a "hack" on it but warned that carried some risks.

I went back and looked at Phillip Bloom's "Joshua Tree" he shot with a GH1 as it was first coming out. "Stock" firmware and the results were so good I almost ordered one at the time. So you might go back to original firmware or to an altered version known to be stable.

But what you had looked good.

For those that care for technical stuff:
    This was all shot on the Panasonic GH1, kit 14-42mm lens and the Rode Videomic and Zoom H1 for audio. Edited all in Sony Vegas 11, with some audio parts tweaked in Adobe Audition.
    That shows some "basic kit" can do the job. I enjoyed watching it.

... but I'm glad I got out and filmed something.
    To quote Tealc' from Stargate SG1...

"...INDEED...."

And as many films have a memorable line, this one I have to remember and wait for an opportunity to use...

"I'll rip his had off and stuff it up........"

Gotta remember that one.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Cool stuff. Good idea but I thought it was VERY slow. [..] My favorite part was him in the car going nuts and honking the horn. What makes it even funnier is how the horn squeals and glitches.
    1) I thought it was ok. It's the intended mood and it's been cut that way for that reason. Like The American with George Clooney: many, but many people didn't liked the movie because of the pace and mood of it, but I personally LOVED it. To each his own.
    2) Indeed! VERY funny! I enjoyed it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    I almost never have a boom operator. I even have to be my own sound guy. [..] Not the same flexibility as having a boom operator but it can help some. [...]
    It may have given you some trouble but what you used looked good. Very good clarity overall. [..]
    That shows some "basic kit" can do the job. I enjoyed watching it.
    1) Same here. I'll probably have someone "dedicated" to that in my future shorts but so far, for dialog scenes, my Azden lav with the DR-05 is fine. Then mixing up with room tone just does it.
    2) It doesn't have the flexibility of a real boom op, but for "static" dialog scenes, it's more than needed, and no one get's tired of holding it!
    3) It was effectively well done and looked great! I have ML installed on the T2i, and even when I select an higher bitrate it never reaches more than the original firmware's bitrate. So there's no big deal. Only the AGC and some other features (like the manual WB) that are really useful. But overall, one with a "stock" camera can do (when he knows how to use it) a real good job. It's simply a tool. You have to use it properly in order to get something good out of it.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Yeah, you had sound issues there alright. Especially at the beginning. I agree with Almo about the end. technically it was well done, but it doesn't work with the rest of the movie, because it switches from farce to something very dark and violent. I just couldn't buy that Bart would do that.

What if Bart lured Daniel to some isolated place and did something to his car? Let the tires down maybe? Then like Al suggests Bart's car doesn't start. You could end with that wonderful scene of Bart doing that tantrum thing again with Daniel waking towards him, about to discover what he's done.

Anyways, there's a lot to like also. Well done, Daniel.
    Update please, BooF?

Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    but it doesn't work with the rest of the movie, because it switches from farce to something very dark and violent.
    Exactly, it doesn't make ANY sense. It was comedic up until then. You HAVE to be consistent. It would've been hilarious if his car wouldn't start.

But yeah, I congratulate you and give you credit for going out and getting something done. Doesn't matter, as long as you had fun and enjoy what you're doing.

Nice!
    I enjoyed it and also because I got a chance to see you on screen. Bart was good also.
    Great kill scene. He got right to it!

It would've been hilarious if his car wouldn't start.
    I was waiting for that and thought it was going to happen.

Forum Mogul

Haha, this was really good, Daniel. I really liked the feeling you gave it, with the small things like the music - the coloring/lighting - etc. It had a real independent comedy atmosphere.

And there's just something about Bart that is so gosh dang adorable. He's the type of guy that's always smiling even when he's pissed off. I nearly lost my [stuff] at the part where he's going apeshit in the car. Mainly when he goes "C..... *cut*"

Great short, I thought it flowed nicely.

Thanks so much guys, I am indeed proud of this little film... and although it has issues, and took a dark twist (which was my intention).

Bart's film should be done soon, I'll post that in the footage section when its done

Quote Originally Posted by mark84j View Post
    And there's just something about Bart that is so gosh dang adorable. He's the type of guy that's always smiling even when he's pissed off.
    He rarely gets angry at all. In fact, in the year or so I've known him... I've never even seen him slightly peeved. I noticed when I was cutting this little film together that I was pissing him off a little (he actually seemed a little shitty in one or two of the takes).

In fact, something I'm sure you guys don't know... which is probably why you don't 'buy' the ending, is that Youtube, views and credit is very important to Bart. His dream is to become well known and have a million views on his films and videos. For me to have taken that from him, that would really set him off. I know, it's far-fetched... but in Barts words "If this were real, I probably would have killed you... just not with a gun".

Thanks so much guys, I am indeed proud of this little film...
    That's the most important thing. More important than views and comments on it.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Bart now has a problem. The 2 people in the vehicle in the field, saw the whole thing. As he was driving away they reached the road and began to follow him ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Bart now has a problem. The 2 people in the vehicle in the field, saw the whole thing. As he was driving away they reached the road and began to follow him ...
    Hahaha... SEQUEL PLEASE!!!!

Hahaha... SEQUEL PLEASE!!!!
    Yep! And Daniel has a twin brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Yep! And Daniel has a twin brother.
    Which is the one that's been killed in the video....leading to the "original" Daniel to get a revenge!

Alrighty, so now that we've established what is bad and good about the film, I'd really like to get people's opinions on other aspects.

What was the BEST thing about it?
    What was the WORST thing about it?
    What do I personally need to improve on?

What was the BEST thing about it?
    What was the WORST thing about it?
    What do I personally need to improve on?
    1) Best: Cinematography overall. I think it was more "worked" than some of your previous work.
    2) Worst: Probably the sound. No need to talk much about it, it's already been discussed to death in other threads. Just to add, maybe you could have "borrowed" some mic stands from the radio to use the mic "boomed" without a proper operator.
    3) Improvement: Maybe lighting I'd say. Hard to say, it's a very personal thing to make movies. You can adore one while others will hate it. What do you personally don't like and think you'd need to improve?