Thread: Official Canon EOS Cinema 4k Announcement

Default Official Canon EOS Cinema 4k Announcement

Before you get all excited from what it seems the price is very prohibitive for folks in our typical bracket. Most thought the new DSLR would be competitive price wise with the rest…but at the reported $15,000 price tag Canon can kiss my natural black a..n..y…ways

What we have is the new EOS-1D C Digital SLR Camera Featuring 4K High-Resolution Video Capture:

Equipped with an 18.1-megapixel full-frame 24mm x 36mm Canon CMOS sensor, the camera records 8-bit 4:2:2 Motion JPEG 4K video to the camera's CF memory card at 24 frames-per-second (fps) or Full HD 1920 x 1080 video at selectable frame rates from 24p to 60p, making it possible for next-generation visual expression with even higher image-quality and resolution performance

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_...01e02480533ee2

It seems canon is setting all of their new toys at premium pricing. Here are some photos:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

Too expensive and too expensive I'd say. Former, I feel like you, apart from the black part... Latter, it's too close to the C300. Sure it's cheaper and a stills with high quality video, but I'd say the extra pricetag is worth it. The C300 is a lovely camera.

I think at that price I'm going with the FS700 that has build in XLR inputs, ND filters, and lots of other standard camcorder bells and whistles.

The Canon will be cheaper because you still need an external recorder for the 4k capture on the FS700 but once you're in that price range I think you want the ND filters, XLR inputs, etc.

In other words if you're gonna shoot 4k, you're going to want a 4k camcorder instead of a DSLR that will probably still require some work arounds.
    "beautiful girls are the cheapest special effect"
    - Roger Corman

I'd say the FS700 is a total different animal. 4k is not there yet and might be a paid upgrade (like with the F3 and s-log). FS700 costs 8k, this one 15k and the C300 at 16k.. This has a fullframe sensor (whether you like it is a different question) and significantly smaller. Also my statement is not totally (but perhaps somewhat more) correct in that regard (I did superficially calculate the pros and cons and just presented the outcome ), regarding the C300 vs. the 1Dc. But I do get your point regarding the lack of ND filters and so on. That's really the hidden costs and the thing one should not forget. But I reckon those who can afford this one either know, or absolutely, totally don't care and have somebody else clean up the mess.
    I'm also wondering what its performance will be in low light. It's perhaps the most exciting thing of the C300, aside from the fact it's so easy to use (so I've heard...as with everything regarding the C300 ). But still, I feel like there is more to this 1Dc. I can't imagine Canon are total fools, knowing their own C300 and positioning this camera at this price point. Or do they enjoy the game of lowering the price weeks after release? It's economics in a timelapse...

Well...there are also reports of a new Canon C500 coming out. Someone who had inside information and pictures accidentally tweeted about it and then quickly pulled it offline. This is the camera everyone is touting as the "Red Killer." The reports say it will be around $25,000 and could shoot 4K RAW images......externally.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    could shoot 4K RAW images......externally.
    Makes me wonder if SONY/Canon/et al will each develop their own proprietary outboard 4K RAW recorders, or will they "certify" some of the new third party solutions also debuting at NAB? Interesting times ...

Heating up is the appropriate anymore. Seriously...this is madness. In half a year Canon releases the C300, 5D Mark III, 1DX (although quite silent right now, what went wrong, announced first), 1DC and possibly a C500. Of course I don't mind, the faster the better, hopefully it will push down some of the other cameras. XF100/XF300/.. Just like what sort of happened with the F3, it seems they were forces to release it to not make it a sitting duck. But I don't mind all this from a tech perspective. I'm happy with the cameras I have and any new investments should in my case be to some other stuff. No more cameras for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BarteS View Post
    Of course I don't mind, the faster the better, hopefully it will push down some of the other cameras. XF100/XF300/
    Word! I recently worked with an XF100. What a cool little camera that is! Like a slightly shrunken XH-A1 that's had its easily-broken fiddly bits either beefed up or removed.

Well..Ian-T...here you go:
    http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/canon-c500-4k/
    Total madness, it's becoming quite hard to decide, presuming the thousands are to 'them' what hundreds are to use. Get an 1Dc to shoot still and 4K video, get a C300 to get the ergonomics and low light or the C500 to get it all? My-oh-my...NAB is gonna be quite some thing. May the security guards have some proper sleep the coming days...
    Last edited by BarteS; 2012 April 12th at 16:59.

Forum Mogul

Is this all Canon is announcing? Or will there be more yet? Like maybe a t4i maybe?

Yup BarteS that's it...But...tell me...was Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Terminator" really named C500? If so...that's too funny when he was referring to this cam as a Red Killer. Coincidence? LOL

I'm agreeing with your previous post for the time being...no more cameras for a while. Other than the upcoming 4k Sony camcorder I think there will be more announcements from more manufacturers like Panasonic or maybe even JVC (Though they already have a 4K camera). We'll see.

The C500 is said to be 30k now. A lot of dough re mi, but still cheaper than an Epic.

i'm thinking 5k is the limit for the prosumer. After that, you need to be "pro", making your money with these things.

If you really want to shoot some quality footage, but you're not a pro and don't shoot 5 days a week, this is starting to look like the way to go:

http://www.lensrentals.com/for-video

Look what you can rent a FS100, Canon C300, or even a Scarlet for if you want to go 4k.

Pick up something like a 7d, or even a 5d MarkIII for every day shooting, and when you have an important project rent one of these.
    "beautiful girls are the cheapest special effect"
    - Roger Corman

All I can say is...

...Wow...

The sheer depth of tonal quality shows, even with vimeo limitations.

What is it? Not quite 5 months since Canon rocked the low budget world with the C300 and now this.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    The sheer depth of tonal quality shows, even with vimeo limitations.
    Yep. It looks very good.

Legend

Forum Mogul

Not for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooong time. Who even has room for an 84" television?

This camera is one of my favorite choices as it is the best camera with lot of qualities. The sheer length lenses are best in this camera but it seems to be over budget, a bit costly deal to bu this one for my photography.
    Last edited by 1; 2012 July 29th at 08:46.