Thread: DIY Mattebox - Filters Holder question

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Default DIY Mattebox - Filters Holder question

Hi guys
    I'm currently building myself a mattebox, a proper one, not the Cokin one I've done for the HV (which still serves me well, with the HV!).
    I think I've figured out a way to put the flags on it, sides and top, but what's really bugging me now is the filters holder (or filterstages). I'm not using 4x4 filters (100mm), but Cokin filters, which are 84mm instead. That's not much of a problem as I'll be using the filters on prime lenses, not wide lenses.
    Now I need to design a way (convenient one) to put on & off the filters without being too much trouble to do such. The Cokin holder is nice as the filters slides in it and holds by pressure, but I would like to build one that would be more robust in the construction.
    I'm looking for ideas, if you have some, I'm all ears!
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Anyone that would have ...because I'm about to...
    Seriously, it should be so simple, but most probably because I'm looking for a "perfect" way to do it, it appears to me to be difficult.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Marc, Not sure what your filter holder looks like - but how about using a velcro strap? If you can get a fairly wide one (half-inch, maybe 3/4), you should be able to wrap it around the filter and hold the filter in pretty tight. You would still have to build/modify a box with the slot for the Cokn filters to slide into.

PJ
    The horror.... the horror....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuluws View Post
    how about using a velcro strap? [..] You would still have to build/modify a box with the slot for the Cokn filters to slide into.
    1) That would be a solution. Not the most elegant, but a solution.
    2) That's where my problem resides: I need to design one to simply slide the 84mm Cokin Filters straight into it. But I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Since the filters are round - how about checking the plumbing area @ Rona or Home Depot? ABS or PVC pipe - cut a slit in it to slip the filter in then wrap the velcro strap around it . Also not elegant but DIY solutions don't always start off as the prettiest girl on the block.

Since the filters are round -
    I get your point about the PVC, but here's the filters I'm talking about:

Those filters are somewhat OK for video, but will most probably cause some blotches of bad focus in 18 Mpix stills - mine did.

[QUOTE=drapeama;437121]I get your point about the PVC, but here's the filters I'm talking about:

HAH! You mentioned 4 x 4 filters and then you said 84 mm - whenever I see a single dimension for filters I think round not square! - maybe instead of the plumbing department - try electrical? There are some PVC boxes there as well - you may find something by wandering through the aisles. (I'm pretty sure that's how the HVFF was built )

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Those filters are somewhat OK for video, but will most probably cause some blotches of bad focus in 18 Mpix stills - mine did.
    I will definitively have to check it out and do some proper tests on tripod. Then I'll put the results in the ND filters thread.
    HAH! You mentioned 4 x 4 filters and then you said 84 mm
    No! I've wrote it quite clearly:
    Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    I'm currently building myself a mattebox [..] I'm not using 4x4 filters (100mm), but Cokin filters, which are 84mm instead.
    But I'd like better to build one directly, maybe something like that:

It looks like you may be able to build the whole thing from plexiglas/acrylic - replacing the metal/aluminum plate with a thicker pirce of plastic.

Old thread, but I'll push it into a new direction.
    I'd like to make my own rotatable filters stage that will attach onto the mattebox case. I already have someone that will mold it, so I should be able to make some later next month.

As for the flags, I'll try to cut something similar to that into a thin steel sheet and ply it while heating it. Should work too. Something like that:
    Tilta 4x5.650 Carbon Fibre Matte-Box MB-T04.jpg

My main question is now about the filters stage. I've disassembled my current MB and I know how it works more or less, but I'd like to see if there's other ideas about it.

Could be simpler to use non-rotatable stages, but I'd like to have the ability to rotate them. Any ideas?