Thread: HV20 Mac Beginner

Smile HV20 Mac Beginner

Hello all!

I purchased the Canon HV20 back in 2009 and have shot about a dozen tapes in HD format.

Finally getting around to importing them onto the computer.

I am working in a MAC environment.

I currently have iMovie'11 but was wondering if I should jump up into Premiere Elements 10? I know Final Cut Express is no longer available.

I know iMovie doesn't support 24p and I think PE10 does. I didn't shoot a lot of footage in 24p (I was just playing around with the settings and didn't quite get what is was actually doing).

Bottom line: I want to learn how to do this the proper way. What's the best way to capture the video from the Camcorder? Is importing from iMovie okay or should I use a different piece of software? Keep reading about HDVsplit?

Just need a little direction to get me going...

I did read the sticky forums but they looked a little old.

Thanking someone in advance....

iMovie does support "native" 24p. You will have to unwrap the HV20 footage with JES.
    I can't say much about Premiere Elements, but I stay as far away from Adobe as I can (even if I have the Master Suite).
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Welcome to the ranks of Mac Video Editors!

Quote Originally Posted by rgomes View Post
    I know Final Cut Express is no longer available.
    Well, Final Cut X is $300, only $100 more than FCE used to be. (But personally, I'm still hanging on to FCE - it does all I want it to do...)

You'll be fine beginning with iMovie11, as you only have a little 24 PF experimenting. (Maybe iMovie11 can capture that - since it is in a 60i wrapper - just not edit it correctly? CG would know... since he suggests unwrapping it in JES.)

iMovie captures it as 60i. You simply run the .mov files in your Event folder through JES and re-import the resulting 24p footage into a new event (to not mix up the clips). FCP X does interlacing and telecine automatically.

It is faster than using Compressor and Final Cut Classic, btw.

Okay great information. Thanks a bunch!

It terms of capturing from the camcorder and into the computer -- can I capture from within iMovie'11 or is there a better and more preferred method when working in a Mac environment?

Will all the footage be captured to my iMac in the best possible HDV quality?

Also,

How will I know if I recorded something in 24P? I recorded some in 24P and some I didn't. How will I know when I import it into iMovie'11?

Thanks again!

And just to be sure -- I don't have to do the JES "unwrap" procedure if I did not record in 24P? Just a straight HDV import into iMovie'11?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    It is faster than using Compressor and Final Cut Classic, btw.
    Thanks for that tip cgbier! For the longest time ( as in... up until today) I basically have been using the iMovie HD 6.0.4 retrograde (vintage and almost impossible to find). I detest the UI and functionality of the newer version of imovie and sure enough, I have FCS but just breeze through fun stuff and quick/short movies with iMovie, particularly on the road. BTW. I still have and love my HV20- esp after seeing the bucketloads of $ people are dumping into beta HDSLRs and more
    Enjoy your editing, you're in good hands in this thread !

I'm sure you can find FCE used on ebay for dirt cheap. Id go with FC
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

And just to be sure -- I don't have to do the JES "unwrap" procedure if I did not record in 24P? Just a straight HDV import into iMovie'11?

Thanks!
    Yep, iMovie works perfectly with the other modes.

You don't need any other software besides iMovie for capturing. iMovie has the advantage that it also helps you to organize your footage in Events.

Something to the history of iMovie08 and later: The app's original name was First Cut, and was meant as a tool to capture and organize footage (especially in hindsight of the upcoming tapeless cameras). An assistant could produce quick and dirty rough cuts. That's why you can export iMovie Projects to FCP XML. His Steveliness, may he rest in peace, wasn't too impressed with idea, but wanted to have it developed to the half-baked iMovie 08 we all came to love...

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    I'm sure you can find FCE used on ebay for dirt cheap. Id go with FC
    With all due love and respect I have for the FCS/E line, I wouldn't start with it anymore. iMovie 11 as a starter, then move to FCP X.

If you really want to go the FCE route, I'd get FCE 3.5 and then an upgrade to FCE 4. FCE 3.5 still contained Soundtrack - not the pro version, but still a solid sound editor.
    Not sure, though, if 3.5 installs on Lion. 4 does (I tested it).

I don't have to do the JES "unwrap" procedure if I did not record in 24P? Just a straight HDV import into iMovie'11?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
    I basically have been using the iMovie HD 6.0.4 retrograde (vintage and almost impossible to find). I detest the UI and functionality of the newer version of imovie
    You know, I capture my stuff in iMovie HD 6, then open the package and extract the media files - and then I put them into FCE. A bit backwards, perhaps, but it's fast, and I only transfer the scenes I want into FCE...

Or Compressor, reverse telecine. That's with FCS, though.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

[QUOTE=cgbier;434968]Yep, iMovie works perfectly with the other modes.

You don't need any other software besides iMovie for capturing. iMovie has the advantage that it also helps you to organize your footage in Events.

Will iMovie tell me or if I try to import/capture footage that was filmed in 24PF?

I guess it is a good practice to only record in one format "HDV" or "PF24" on one DV tape so that you don't have to worry about remembering which parts were filmed in what format upon capture?

Will iMovie tell me or if I try to import/capture footage that was filmed in 24PF?
    Nope. iMovie can't look inside the wrapper.

I guess it is a good practice to only record in one format "HDV" or "PF24" on one DV tape so that you don't have to worry about remembering which parts were filmed in what format upon capture?
    IIRC, that's what Canon recommends in the manual - don't mix formats on a single tape...

You can - if your assistant keeps a shooting log.

It is not really recommended. Especially, if you dig out a tape after years "hmm, I wonder what's on it" Happens to me a lot of times. On the other hand, at least it's wrapped in 60i, so it is editable in any case.

Talking about 60i: Don't forget that FCE doesn't do 24p (in case you wanted to opt for it).

iMovie captures it as 60i. You simply run the .mov files in your Event folder through JES and re-import the resulting 24p footage into a new event (to not mix up the clips). FCP X does interlacing and telecine automatically.
    I have downloaded the latest version of JES (3.8.1)

I am able to locate the .mov clips in my EVENTS folder.

My question is for help with how to configure JES. What should I change? What should I leave as is?

I'd like to import the clips back into iMovie'11 in a 24p format.

Thanks!

i don't use JES, but the workings are described on the website:

http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/Deinte...reen_shot.tiff
    http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/Deinte...creen_shot.png
    http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/Deinte...reen_shot.tiff

In case you ever want to upgrade: FCP X does the unwrapping automatically. You import you footage into an event as is, then just drop it into a 23.976p timeline. Result is a beautiful 24p file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Valued Member

Id say, your already used to iMovie..... FCPX would work very nicely for you. Fact is that once you master what Final Cut X can do your be working very fast in that software.

The main software is $299. Compressor is an extra $49 and so is Motion. Also there is content for both Final Cut Pro and Motion that are separate FREE downloads. Tons of sound FX and where Motion is concerned bunches of visual bling. You wont be on that HV forever and when you do movie to something like a media based camera you mac own skip a beat. Scroll down here and watch some of the movies ..... http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

Just wanted to throw in that when you use iMovie '11... after you've imported your HV20 footage...there will be a little tag on the footage/clip in your Events Browser section that says 24p if it is, in fact, 24p. If it is any other kind of footage, it won't say anything.

Hope that helps!
    Deborah
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by DebG. View Post
    Just wanted to throw in that when you use iMovie '11... after you've imported your HV20 footage...there will be a little tag on the footage/clip in your Events Browser section that says 24p if it is, in fact, 24p. If it is any other kind of footage, it won't say anything.

Hope that helps!
    Deborah
    Thanks for the heads up Deborah. I guess I processed the files correctly in JES then -- I did happen to notice the 24p tag on the clip in iMovie'11. I'm just not sure I notice a difference between 24p and "regular" (framed?) footage.

Are you also using JES to extract 24p from your footage?

I noticed in your sig line that you have a HV30, HV40. I have the HV20 and was wondering what hotshoe lights you recommend and what microphone. I am basically shooting home movies of my little children right now but wanted to buy something that I could expand upon in the future.

Thanks!

On-camera light: http://lacoloronline.com/products/default.asp?catid=4 (but use it wisely!). Lunchbox will also sell you brackets, so you can use light and mic at the same time.
    Microphone: Most will suggest the Røde Videomic, I prefer the Azden whatever letters 990.

Are you also using JES to extract 24p from your footage?
    Nope, I gave up on shooting 24p and editing it in iMovie for the time being. I'm starting to use FCPX now and it should have no problem just getting straight to work with 24p.

I noticed in your sig line that you have a HV30, HV40. I have the HV20 and was wondering what hotshoe lights you recommend and what microphone. I am basically shooting home movies of my little children right now but wanted to buy something that I could expand upon in the future.

Thanks!
    On-camera light: http://lacoloronline.com/products/default.asp?catid=4 (but use it wisely!). Lunchbox will also sell you brackets, so you can use light and mic at the same time.
    Microphone: Most will suggest the Røde Videomic, I prefer the Azden whatever letters 990.

I always buy from Lunchbox (Taky) when I can! Great stuff, great prices, really fast delivery. From the link that CG gave above with all the lights, I bought the Pro 160-LED Video Light and am happy with it.

I also bought his 3-mount flash bracket and use it with the light attached along with my Rode Videomic. I also use the bracket as a kind of steadying device when I'm shooting handheld. I REALLY use the Rode quite a bit and love it. I also have a couple of used Azden WM-Pro wireless mics that I attach to the bracket sometimes, too.

I would think for filming your kids, the Rode would be the handiest and for outdoor/windy use, it has a "dead cat" windscreen. I use it a lot with kids and some middle schoolers named it "Alfred" - was even looking into getting some of those googly eyes from a craft store to glue onto it

Indoors with your kids, turn on all the lights in the house! Lights are your friends! Even when using the Pro-160 LED, I always say the more light the better. Of course, others here will tell you all about the nature of lighting correctly, color temperature, etc. but for videos of the family, use all possible lights and you'll be happier.

Good luck!
    Deborah
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com