Thread: Possible to use an LCD eyecup with Canon touchscreen?

Default Possible to use an LCD eyecup with Canon touchscreen?

I wish I had the EVF (HF M41) version, but I have the HF M40 camcorder.
    I use the touch-focus and touch-exposure often.

When outdoors/sunny day: fortunately I can still see the image enough to touch the target on the screen, but I can't spot subtleties like shadow and details I may miss until later on PC playback.

I'm wondering if I got one of those (3-inch) LCD eyecup/viewfinder magnifiers used for DSLRs...

http://www.amazon.com/Prolite-Screen...1842064&sr=1-6

Would it be workable to manually hold the eyecup up with my right hand, while securing onto the LCD with my left to check the shot? (I wouldn't glue it on, obviously.) Or do you think my hands may shake it around too much?

I know about the LCD hoods/shades; not sure how practical that is while using touchscreen. It also may interfere with the wireless remote, which I use often with a tripod to scroll through the menus.

The eyecup would be more ideal because I would also be able to scrutinize for noise in the image. What about the possibility of making DIY hooks onto the eyecup so I could quickly hook/unhook it?

The HF M40 touchscreen looks like this:

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just realized that holding up an eyecup may be difficult with hand-held shots, so if anyone knows of an LCD hood that would work with a 3-inch touchscreen, I may consider it and possibly skip using the remote for outdoors.
    Last edited by net; 2012 March 15th at 16:57.

I have the M41 but noticed that I only occasionally have need for the EVF.

A long time ago I bought the Hoodman H300 LCD hood (without magnifier) for my HV20 for use in broad daylight. It also fits my M41; its size is such that it shields the LCD screen but leaves the remote sensor on the left free. You can easily reach into the hood with a stylus pen which you can buy cheaply on EBay. I bought this set of three.

Lou
    Last edited by Lou van Wijhe; 2012 March 16th at 09:12.
    S/W: Sony Vegas Pro 12, PC: Processor Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Camera: HF M41 PAL, WD-H43 Wide Adapter, Røde VM/SVM + Canon DM-100 mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou van Wijhe View Post
    I have the M41 but noticed that I only occasionally have need for the EVF.

A long time ago I bought the Hoodman H300 LCD hood (without magnifier) for my HV20 for use in broad daylight. It also fits my M41; its size is such that it shields the LCD screen but leaves the remote sensor on the left free. You can easily reach into the hood with a stylus pen which you can buy cheaply on EBay. I bought this set of three.

Lou
    Thanks, Lou. It's good to know I'm not missing out too much with the EVF. That Hoodman hood has that fourth piece on the bottom to box it in. I'm thinking if I can find a 3-inch version of this Canon hood, I should be able able to reach my finger in from the bottom...

http://www.amazon.com/Camcorders-Scr...1908540&sr=8-1

^ It's difficult to find one with this style for the 3-inch LCD screens.

I don't like using a stylus. When I first tried these Canon touchscreen camcorders, I was confused thinking it was an intuitive interface. It turns out that if I swipe my finger up or down on the screen, it easily scrolls the menu.

So, I have to take this into consideration.

I've got the Canon 3.5 inch version of that LCD hood for use on my HF S200 3.5 inch screen... fits like a glove and works in perfect in blinding sunlight... still easy access to the touch screen with a stylus however my stubby fingers access it just fine as well. The remote sensor is not obscured in any way either.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by HD-tography; 2012 March 16th at 12:36. Reason: Added More Photos
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3bLzUR7Tc5c/TllO5e9nLEI/AAAAAAAABN4/nr7ES2366dM/s500/charlie_tango2.png

ALSO, the 2.7 inch hood you linked above is NOT a Canon product... this one is though:

Canon 2.7" LCD Hood ($19.90 USD)

One other approach, if you need to make exposure judgements on the LCD:

The original Hoodman Loupe 3.0 came with a neck lanyard, the idea being one could briefly hold the loupe against the LCD to visually assess exposure, check composition, etc., and then simply release the loupe to drop and hang on the neck lanyard until needed again. Originally there was no magnification because at the time most LCD's were too low in definition to benefit from a magnified view (you would get magnified pixels and not really be able to judge sharpness.

I have and use those hoods illustrated in this thread on the swiveling LCD of my 60D and on the fold out LCD screens of my HF100s, and while they help they do not exclude all extraneous light in the way necessary to evaluate exposure. So, as necessary I use both approaches.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict