Thread: Blur caused by light problem

Default Blur caused by light problem

Hi, new guy here, dv camera newbie as well. It's cool to be here. I have an HV20 and I think it's great but I'm hoping that someone can offer tips or suggestions concerning my problem. I'm filming really small crystal skulls that sit on a light box in a dark room. Unfortunately the light causes the camera to blur the image when it gets particularly bright - which is constant. I've tried filming at a distance with the zoom but to no avail. I've tried all the different settings and modes on the camera also but since I don't really know what I'm doing, maybe I'm missing something. I much prefer to use the cinematic mode in HD but am open to any suggestions that might solve this.

Is there a lens that I could buy that would solve this?

Will a more expensive/professional camera solve this? If so, any least expensive recommendations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoWd...ure=plpp_video

Any advice would be much appreciative.

Ah! Looks like you just need to lock the exposure! .... aka "Exposure Lock Trick"

Using the D-pad on the back of the camera, press the up / down button until you see the exposure setting on the LCD screen. Set it where you want it (for example -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 ... usually never go over zero and for your case you should probably be at -1 or even -2) and then press OK which is the middle button on the D-pad. Haven't used my HV in ages but I'm pretty sure that's how it's done.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Also, once its focused, hit the "MF" button... that'll stop it blurring. use the focus dial to finetune it...

Not enough contrast for AF?
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Awesome replies. I will try these. Thank you. I believe the "MF" button on the HV20 is called "focus"? It blurs with AF (auto focus?) but I'm so clueless that I may have been using it wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Radd View Post
    I believe the "MF" button on the HV20 is called "focus"?
    Yes the button is called Focus. Each time you push it, it switches from Manual Focus to Auto Focus. You can see if it's on AF or MF in your viewfinder/ LCD
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Thank you.