Thread: iDVD causing trouble, how do I fix it?

Default iDVD causing trouble, how do I fix it?

Alright, here's the issue...

I've been trying to make this client's DVD work for some time. I have 8 videos, they're very large, some of them up to 14gb, some much smaller. I didn't compress them; I just let iDVD compress them, as I have no idea how to compress them all proportionately to fit them on a DVD with a menu.

I burned one, and it looks fine, except the end of one video. It freezes for the last minute or so. Everything else on the DVD is fine.

I ripped this DVD (originally to duplicate it, rather than letting iDVD make copies, because that'd require that the harddrives with the original data be connected), and I considered replacing that video alone with another version of that video after compressing it to the same size. How would I do this? I have a video_ts and an iso rip of the dvd. I figured rather than screwing with iDVD again and letting it take the chance to screw up a different video, I'd just swap the one.

What other ways can I fix this? Why does this happen? Very frustrating.

You don't have to rip your DVD. Just make a Disk Image, either from within iDVD or with the Disk Utility.

If you want to replace a video, just change the iDVD Project and re-burn it.

What was the total length of your program and quality settings? Do you use a USB drive - don't!
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Thanks for your response.

I am avoiding using iDVD again to completely re-try this project again. As it demonstrated in the last attempt, compressing it within iDVD can cause issues. I fear giving it another try will just waste another 3 hours burning, another blank DVD, and another 2 hours watching the DVD for inevitable issues.

So, my question was how I might take the DVD I have, where one of the videos is problematic, and replace just that video and a compressed video from Compressor.

The videos range from 5 to 15 minutes, and as I said, there are 8 of them. Maybe an hour or a little more in total length. I exported at full quality. Not sure what you mean by "USB drive," I used an external harddrive because... well, I don't have any other options. This project is too large to keep on the internal.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

14gigs for 5-15 minutes of video? The last time I rendered an MPEG2 1440x1080 file that was over an hour long, it barely touched 20gig. Are you rendering as AVI or ProRes or something?

ProRes.

USB Drive == External drive connected to you computer via USB. Do't use that with ProRes. Firewire 800 should be the minimum (if it is USB, you found your problem).
    In iDVD: everything beyond 59 minutes should be burnt with Professional Quality or Best Performance. High Quality might give you issues (check your Project Properties).
    Don't use Compressor for iDVD, just use Export Movie from your editor without any fancy settings (DVD compression sucks in any way, and the higher the compression rate, the lousier your movie looks).

Give iDVD another chance. It might have been a fault on the DVD itself. I have been using iDVD for years, and still use it for our fishery program. Had several coasters, but never an issue with iDVD itself.

If you don't have the time or patience to verify your work.... well, that's up to you.

Daniel, iDVD knows neither AVI nor MPEG2

Quote Originally Posted by pulpadded View Post
    So, my question was how I might take the DVD I have, where one of the videos is problematic, and replace just that video and a compressed video from Compressor.
    I know what you're saying but that is impossible to add into a disk image.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Gigs don't matter to iDVD... time does. It will only hold so long a movie or series of movies. The time of the menu counts, too. CG was right... always use the Professional Quality setting. The quality setting and the indicator of how much space/time you have left on the DVD are under Project>Project Info.

Another thing... to avoid hassles and especially if you ever plan on burning extra DVDs... always Save as Disk Image from iDVD THEN use Disk Utility to burn that image to a blank DVD... using the lowest speed setting, eg 2x. It will take longer, but it insures that it will be playable to more people's equipment (computer or older standalone DVD players) and much less chance of burning errors.

[EDIT] AND check your project out completely within iDVD using the play button at the bottom of the screen BEFORE Saving to Disk Image. Go through all the menu links so you can see if they're working as you wanted them to and skim through all the videos so you see if you need to fix them (or swap one out like you're mentioning) before going through the trouble of saving.

I've used iDVD tons in the last several years and have never had any problems when following all this.

Good luck!
    Deb
    Last edited by DebG.; 2012 March 6th at 04:22.
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    USB Drive == External drive connected to you computer via USB. Do't use that with ProRes. Firewire 800 should be the minimum (if it is USB, you found your problem).
    In iDVD: everything beyond 59 minutes should be burnt with Professional Quality or Best Performance. High Quality might give you issues (check your Project Properties).
    Don't use Compressor for iDVD, just use Export Movie from your editor without any fancy settings (DVD compression sucks in any way, and the higher the compression rate, the lousier your movie looks).

Give iDVD another chance. It might have been a fault on the DVD itself. I have been using iDVD for years, and still use it for our fishery program. Had several coasters, but never an issue with iDVD itself.

If you don't have the time or patience to verify your work.... well, that's up to you.

Daniel, iDVD knows neither AVI nor MPEG2
    I don't have a firewire drive, so that's not possible.

So Professional Quality/Best Quality is a better within iDVD? I'm not familiar. It's not an export setting (from FCP) correct?

And I SHOULDN'T use MPEG? Because someone on another forum told me to transcode to MPEG after exporting the videos from FCP. So, are they wrong? Wouldn't surprise me, just wanna be clear (and not waste my time doing it again just to burn another faulty dvd).

The settings I mentioned are in iDVD. You'll see a bar on the screen showing how much you can pack onto the DVD. Play with these settings.

You export MPEG2/AAC from FCP (what version btw?) via Compressor when you author your DVD with DVD Studio Pro. iDVD prefers a plain-vanilla Quicktime file - simply click Export Movie in FCP and don't change any settings. iDVD does the rest.

if you have some money left somewhen, do yourself a favor and buy a FW800 drive with 7200rpm. That's the minimum you should use with HD video.

You said to export MPEG2/AAC from FCP, but I thought you said iDVD doesn't recognize MPEG? Maybe you worded your last statement oddly. I exported as-is, "Export Movie" which gives me a ProRes Quicktime file.

I guess in the future I'll have to drop the video files to my internal harddrive before burning rather than working with them off the external. I appreciate your help. I just got home, I left it saving as a disk image all day and I'll burn a DVD over night and check it out in the morning. Here's hoping for the best.

You said to export MPEG2/AAC from FCP
    yes, when you use DVDSP for authoring, not iDVD.

Gotcha.

I caught flack on another forum for using iDVD, but it's not like this one-time event client is going to know I used one program over another.

iDVD has been used without issues by millions of soccer moms. Sure, feature wise, it is way off "professional" apps like DVDSP or Encore, but it does what it is supposed to: burning video DVDs.

I mostly just didn't think this project required learning a new software. I don't normally burn DVDs for clients, but this one asked.

I appreciate your help.

There's not much too learn in iDVD - drag, drop, click, done.

Maybe, you were thinking too complicated.... just moved from Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    There's not much too learn in iDVD - drag, drop, click, done.

Maybe, you were thinking too complicated.... just moved from Windows?
    I meant i didn't think this particular project required learning new software (DVDSP).

You don't need DVDSP. iDVD does exactly the same with a handful of mouse clicks.