Thread: Is this workshop worth it?

Default Is this workshop worth it?

I want to start making wedding videos. I have learned a lot on how to shoot videos from reading on the forums. I bumped into this website http://rayromanworkshop.com/ and it is a 2 day seminar about wedding events. Has anyone been to this seminar before and would you think it's worth it to get into the wedding video business?

"Ray has reserved an amazing venue to host this incredible 2-day workshop. ..... The nearest airport to the 2012 workshop is Fort Lauderdale International Airport"

and

"Next Seminar: New Jersey"

Not very confidence instilling! Imagine staying in a Hotel in FL, getting up at 4am to catch an early plane to get to the workshop in NJ.
    Also, registration page doesn't load for me.
    If his teaching skills are like his website update skills, I'd avoid it!

You'd have to judge how much this would cost you. If not that much it might be worth it. Otherwise maybe just hook up with a wedding videographer in your area as an intern and learn the ropes HANDS ON.

By the way, by definition the question "Is it worth it?" requires an answer based upon cost vs. benefit analysis, therefore,
    you should first list exactly how much this really costs you.

I.e.:

Seminar: $300
    Flight: $420
    Hotel: $270
    Taxi: $50
    Meals: $120
    Ancillary: $50
    Total: $1210

Question should be: Is this worth it for $1210.00? (or whatever your figures are....)

Oh, and before anyone asks: I dine at Morton's or Ruth's Chris!

Honestly, SAVE YOUR MONEY (for gear!)

This book, Wedding Videography Start to Finish ($26.39 USD - Free Shipping), is by far the best resource I have ever come across concerning weddings! If you can't shoot a professional looking wedding (even the first time out) after reading this book, well then there's NO HOPE FOR YOU, dear friend.

In fact, I challenge you to buy this book and tell me I'm wrong! Do you accept, kind sir?

Wow, just checked this book out in the free sample pages on Amazon and I'm pretty impressed! Thanks for the recommendation, HD-tography! Plus, the Kindle ebook edition is only $19.95

Deborah
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by DebG. View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, HD-tography! Plus, the Kindle ebook edition is only $19.95
    Sure thing, I still have mine and it's amazing! However, you may want to get the paper edition, it comes with a very useful DVD with all the video footage and program files should you wish to complete the tutorials. In addition, this book just has so much useful content in it, you can just chuck the paper copy in your camera bag and have access to all your highlighted sections, lists, notes, etc on game day! I sure wouldn't want to lug a kindle around in addition to the mountain of other gear you're carrying around on the big day!

Hey HD-tography, I just bought the book from my local fry's store and I want to say thank you.

I have a question. I was asked to do a free wedding video which will be my first time ever shooting a wedding video next month, I was wondering is that a good idea for me to shoot a wedding when I never shot one or never seen one before? I have read posts on forums and seen videos of weddings on vimeo and I believe I can make a great video. I know it's different from reading posts, books, and watching videos from actually doing it, but that is the only way I can practice right? How did you start off.

2nd question, since this will be a free wedding video, I wont be needing a business registration license and permits right? Also, on the book on page 38, it says by law I am not obligated to hold insurance but I should. This will be a free wedding so I will not purchase an insurance, but if they ask for it, what do I say to them or is there proof that I can show them I don't need it? Any websites where I can print it and bring it with me so I can show them?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jr4089 View Post
    Hey HD-tography, I just bought the book from my local fry's store and I want to say thank you.

I have a question. I was asked to do a free wedding video which will be my first time ever shooting a wedding video next month, I was wondering is that a good idea for me to shoot a wedding when I never shot one or never seen one before? I have read posts on forums and seen videos of weddings on vimeo and I believe I can make a great video. I know it's different from reading posts, books, and watching videos from actually doing it, but that is the only way I can practice right? How did you start off.

2nd question, since this will be a free wedding video, I wont be needing a business registration license and permits right? Also, on the book on page 38, it says by law I am not obligated to hold insurance but I should. This will be a free wedding so I will not purchase an insurance, but if they ask for it, what do I say to them or is there proof that I can show them I don't need it? Any websites where I can print it and bring it with me so I can show them?

Thanks in advance
    Your very welcome

As for your other questions, I would recommend you post all those questions in a new thread over in "The Pub" where a whole host of members shooting weddings would LOVE to share their opinions with you!

That being said I will try to touch on it briefly here....

Personally I recommend when you're first starting out, it's best to do friends and family (even for free) till you get some experience and your thing down pat (prep, shooting, workflow, etc)... but whoever your client, make sure they understand that the cheap (or free) price reflects the fact that you will retain ownership and rights to the footage to be used for your self/company promotion in your demo reel. Also make sure you are upfront and direct that you have no experience but have been studying cinematography and wedding event coverage (by reading that book and forum posts) and you will do your very best, which is also reflected by the cheap (or free) price. When you show up, be prepared for anything, have help (2nd shooter + a third assistant if possible) from people who are as passionate as you are about getting the shots, being professional, and delivering a quality product to the client.

I for one started the way mentioned above, but honestly I have not shot a lot of weddings, merely a handful, they are quite difficult and take lots of time, energy, planning, and skill to do properly. I shoot and edit mostly staged sets, corporate and non-profit clients, ministry work, relief aid and world missions promotion, and other more creative ventures. The weddings I shoot these days are mostly for friends and family, because it's very demanding and not something I have mastered yet. I ended up booking over a dozen gigs last summer based of the handful of free work I did for friends and family, however my health failed that summer and I had to back out of the bookings and refer them to a colleague of mine instead, which was pretty much the end of my business plan for weddings.

The other option is to either find a job under a well known professional wedding videographer in your area, or even volunteer to shoot 2nd or 3rd shooter for free a few times, with the understanding he in turn mentors you in the process, including planning, instruction in shooting, and the final edit/delivery. I actually prefer this because as long as he's a good mentor you will gain priceless knowledge that would take you a lifetime of trial and error to figure out on your own, sometimes by making very costly mistakes, so try to gain the wealth of knowledge from a pro beforehand if possible.
    *Note: this method requires a person with a character able to be mentored, if you're not a good student (ie: humble and teachable) you will only be in conflict with your mentor and wasting both of your time.

You don't need a business licence or permits if there is no transaction taking place, but remember what I mentioned above, be upfront of what the agreement is and your level of experience. You can and probably should print up a simple contract to outline what is expected, who owns the footage (you), and what will be given for the price agreed upon (or free). You should do this to protect yourself from any misunderstandings and potential liability in the future. You can have the client(s) sign the agreement when you review the shot/coverage list with them during a sit down meeting well before the wedding, such as when you meet them at the location a few days/the week before to go over the layout (if possible), typically before or after a "dress rehearsal". Ask for more help on contracts from our forum members when you make a new post in the pub. The title of the thread needs to be wedding specific, such as "First Time Wedding Shooter Needs Advice On... Well... EVERYTHING!"

Seriously, there are some real pros here, like Lunchbox for example, and forum member liverpool 1 who asked the same questions you did about a year ago when he started out, since then his work has GREATLY improved and he has started a nice little business for himself in the UK and has over 20 weddings under his belt in less than a year... so there is a wealth of information that can be learned from these guys by posting a new thread that draws them in... this one I doubt they will ever visit because the title is NOT wedding specific... got it?

Personally, I believe if you read that book in your hands carefully and apply (some of) what is learned, I think it is possible to shoot a VERY professional wedding even the first time out! Have some confidence in yourself my friend! Conduct yourself in a professional manor, be prepared with your plan/equipment/shot list on shooting day, but more than anything be ready to just wing it when things start to happen in front of you, as the best and most precious moments will happen unscripted, so be ready and in position to roll with the show! Oh yeah... HAVE SOME FUN! Because if you're frustrated and not having fun, then it's not worth doing, so stay positive through the whole experience and you will do fine!

Finally, read through some of the threads below to get you started:

Gear up for Wedding

First Wedding Gig - Equipment Listed - Advice Wanted

How much do you charge? What determines your charge/fee?

Do not film weddings unless your self employed.[Life ramble. opportunity vs happines]

New Blog Created for the Wedding Business

Starting an Event Videography Business

Starting a video-related business... What do you think I will need?

Cordless Mic system vs portable sound recorder

(LOL BEWARE! If you charge people for work and you fail misserably to deliver, you could end up like THIS guy!)

Legend

I was wondering is that a good idea for me to shoot a wedding when I never shot one or never seen one before?
    If you feel you are ready.

You have to commit at some point.

It can be scary but it is very rewarding when you've finished - then know you can do it.

Thanks in advance
    You won't need a business license, but you, even though you do it for free, might want your client to sign a contract. That you are only obligated to shoot and deliver, but not to any specific level of quality. From my own experience I know that the ones who pay the least complain the most.

Insurance: Do you have a private liability insurance? That is normally sufficient as you don't act as a business(man) - check with your agent though.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

So, I don't have any equipments yet. I am planning on renting. I added everything and the total came out to be $1600 including paying another cameraman since I don't know anyone who would do it for free. I am planning on using 3 canon 7d cameras and a couple of lenses. $1600 is a lot of money especially making a wedding video for free. Would you guys spend that much to shoot a free wedding video to make a reel?

Would you guys spend that much to shoot a free wedding video to make a reel?
    No.

Nein.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

NO. And I wouldn't try DSLR on your first go out either. You have no experience and therefore no idea where to position yourself for the one take action, ad to that the difficulties with keeping things in focus all the time with manual focus DSLRs, 12 minute recording limits for the files, and you have got a $1600 NIGHTMARE just waiting for you to suffer through.

Wow.

I wouldn't spend a dime to film a wedding for free.

At the very least, I would ask them for the cost of materials (tapes.)

Even if this is your first time out and you want it for your demo reel... Don't set the whole wedding videography industry back by cheapening it

Still wishing you the best of luck,
    Deborah
    HV30, HV40, Rode VideoMic, Juiced Link , FCPX- http://www.MakingASceneProductions.com