Thread: Audio conversion software that allows normalizing/gain?

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Default Audio conversion software that allows normalizing/gain?

This isn't actually an editing related question... and it's not even related to video production.

As many of you may know, I'm apart of a community radio station in my area. I'll soon be taking control of the audio production side of things, as Production Manager. I need to select software that myself and an assistant can use effectively to convert any/all music filetypes to MP3 (at selective bitrates) and also normalize/set volume limit. I'd like to also be able to batch convert many files at once.

Does anyone know of software that does this?
    Last edited by Daniel Rutter; 2012 March 4th at 21:42.

If you have Sony Vegas, you could import audio files to the time line, then right-click, Switches>Normalize. To select multiple files, hold control while clicking or use the Selection Edit Tool. Changing one to normalize with then normalize them all.

I don't have Pro 11, but the script should still be in Tools>Scripting>Batch render...set to render to mp3.

Vegas was originally an audio editor, the video aspect was added later.

EDIT: To clarify; the script is for batch render. Normalizing one or multiple clips; script not needed.
    Last edited by net; 2012 March 5th at 01:04.

Audacity can batch render audio files into mp3? I don't think so.

I ended up finding a program called dBpoweramp to use. Couple that with MusicBrainz Picard or eXtreme Music Manager and I reckon I'll have a good all-round set of programs to sort the music situation out.

Thanks guys!

Hi Daniel,

I had a similar need the other week. I was helping to produce a German Language textbook CD, which was recorded in MP3. I applied a noise gate and normalizer to help get the tracks up to snuff for the CD pressing. To my horror there were almost 200 tracks. I plodded on for an afternoon working on the one at time. The next day I figured out how to automate the whole thing, I was a happy camper then:

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?4...gt-PCM-in-OS-X

Of course, I work in OS X. But perhaps you can find a similar solution for your windows platform.
    Best of luck!

EDIT:

Looks like there's a windows version of the batch converter Follow the link on my thread.
    "I didn't know there were voices in W R I T I N G"
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

I still use and old version of Goldwave. It can batch convert/process multiple files or folders. You can chain the filters you want to use. I personally use the "Match Volume" filter set to -16 db. It works very well............
    There is no such thing as "Idiot-Proof".........a good Idiot will get around that every time.

Thanks guys, so far I've decided to go with that piece of software I found. Using it now I feel it's easy enough to teach someone to use.

I've been voted in as their Production Director... so I'm the one in charge of ad production and music vetting.

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    Audacity can batch render audio files into mp3? I don't think so.
    Yes it can, just like Foobar can do as well. There's several component that you can add to the software, for free.
    Just load your audio tracks into Foobar, select them all (Ctrl+A) and right-click "convert" and from there you can set what you want in the "processing" option.

I like Foobar because it can play pretty much everything (from Mp3 to ACC) and it can convert audio as well. I'm using it instead of WMP.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.