Thread: Shooting a music video with high shutter speeds (i.e. Saving Private Ryan, Crank 2)

Default Shooting a music video with high shutter speeds (i.e. Saving Private Ryan, Crank 2)

I want to shoot a music video for a heavy metal band and intentionally get a manic look throughout the whole video, like the Saving Private Ryan beach scene, Crank 2...

Any settings/recommendations for keeping that look consistent in different environments; a rehearsal studio with lights, a dark hallway/can include lighting, possibly third undetermined indoor setting and/or outside shots.

I'll be using a Canon HF M40 at 30p in Cinema mode/"Cinema Standard" or Manual mode/but leaning towards manual mode. Cinema mode doesn't allow control of the gain. Manual mode allows control of the gain; either auto or manual adjust and also the ability to turn down the image effects: color depth/contrast/brightness/sharpness, (which cinema mode also can't do). Will be using post coloring fx later.
    Camera has no zebra pattern and the aperture can't be set independent from shutter, (exposure can be locked). How should I incorporate the gain function while using high shutter speeds?

I will be doing tests and am aware of the 180-degree shutter rule/but won't be doing that. My main concern is consistency in the look and lighting with the high shutter. The video will be uploaded to YouTube and possibly Facebook/won't be for off-line or DVD.

Thanks for any input/general comments.
    Last edited by net; 2012 March 4th at 12:40.

I know Eugenia has some blog where she describes in detail how to set-up and shoot music videos.
    Doesn't she shoot slower and then speed it up in post? Something like that.

Let me look for the link....

No, sorry can't find it...

There's a hint of it here:
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?4...l=1#post394798

It appears I got it wrong though: you shoot faster then slow it down, not the other way around.

Thanks, Mal.

I think Eugenia does that thing where the band plays the song fast and then when it's slow down, everything is in time but elements of it appear to be in slow motion.

What I meant was more of like a strobe-like effect that leaves a hyper impression.

EDIT: Here's the trailer for Crank 2. You can see, especially with the motion shots, the effect I'm talking about with the high shutter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOyXKkqvYJA
    Last edited by net; 2012 March 4th at 19:51.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

A shutter speed between 500 and 1000 should do it, but be aware you WILL lose light in darker places.

With such a camera, you will need to deal with the fact that you're gonna lose your shallow DOF as well, playing with higher shutter speeds. Of course, when you touch shutter speeds it sets the aperture automagically.

Shoot 30p, get ahold of the track and speed it up about... 6%? I can't remember the settings exactly, but when you edit... you bring it into the editor and edit as 24p and you'll get a nice effect. It should help make some of those "stutters" a little more prominant as well.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I meant was more of like a strobe-like effect
    Aye, I only offered the Eugenia thing as an "as well as" the fast shutter speed.

make sure you post the results here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    A shutter speed between 500 and 1000 should do it, but be aware you WILL lose light in darker places.

With such a camera, you will need to deal with the fact that you're gonna lose your shallow DOF as well, playing with higher shutter speeds. Of course, when you touch shutter speeds it sets the aperture automagically.

Shoot 30p, get ahold of the track and speed it up about... 6%? I can't remember the settings exactly, but when you edit... you bring it into the editor and edit as 24p and you'll get a nice effect. It should help make some of those "stutters" a little more prominant as well.
    Cool, thanks. I now see what you mean after trying those shutter settings. 1/250 has enough of the effect, but 1/500 and 1/1000 are definitely better; though, as you said, it really darkens the image.

I think it's going to depend on the lighting for any given scene; I won't have a wall of lights at my disposable like a real movie. Maybe I'll just make sure that enough of the effect is in play while keeping enough of the image lit.

Besides using higher shutter speeds for this particular video, I really don't like the motion blur with the lower shutter speeds, it looks terrible to me. I may start using 1/100 as a general-purpose shutter speed to kill the blur.

What do you mean high shutter speed? You mean fast shutter speed or slow shutter speed?
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    What do you mean high shutter speed? You mean fast shutter speed or slow shutter speed?
    Yeah, I mean fast. Not sure why I said high.

Might be interesting to combine motion blur from one cam with fast shutter from another, like a blurred still picture and flash.
    Last edited by Playing; 2012 March 8th at 12:47.
    HFS21 l HF100 l DM100 l Zoom H1

Quote Originally Posted by 1 View Post
    Aye, I only offered the Eugenia thing as an "as well as" the fast shutter speed.

make sure you post the results here!!
    I never got around to posting it. This is the music video I was referring to in the OP. I shot and edited in March 2012 (this is heavy metal):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...bgbY=&vq=hd720

I used the Canon HF M40. I didn't end up doing the fast shutter thing. It was shot in 30p with shutter priority set to 1/60.

The band was originally only going to give me 15 minutes to shoot the whole video after their rehearsal. I really had to emphasize that I needed at least 2, preferably 4 hours. They ended up giving me one hour to shoot; so this is from 6 different takes in an hour. Edited in a week/synced to the studio version of the song. So, there are some spots I would have liked to have a better shot, but had to put something from available footage for any given moment.

Some over-exposure issues - there are no zebra stripes/histograms on the HF M40; the main thing that bothered me about that camcorder. I was originally planning on using a laptop to check the lighting, but no time.

I can say this for the HF M40; the stabilization was very good and made it easy to get spontaneous shots - no jello like with the DSLR, micro 4/3rd's.

La jeune Québécoise charlie_tango's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    no jello like with the DSLR
    I have recently watched a demo of the Rolling Shutter Repair plugin. Seems to completely remove that effect.
    All Draps gear!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_tango View Post
    I have recently watched a demo of the Rolling Shutter Repair plugin. Seems to completely remove that effect.
    Is that an Adobe feature or you mean Sony Vegas?

Thanks for reminding me...I just upgraded to Vegas Pro 12 from an old version and 12 has stabilization with rolling shutter correction. I need to check it out with DSLR footage.