Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 5D Mark 3 releases End of March

lalalala, I can rent a RED for a whole month with that kind of money.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
    Aye - at photo school I pushed some Tri-X 400 to 96,000iso. It sat in the dev for seven hours.
    'Cmon. even i sense you're pulling me leg at 96,000iso you'd have full Sabattier aka 'pseudo solarization'

Legend

Nope. Not at all. At 96,000 iso the exposure was so quick - I took some shots of black luxury cars; chrome and lights - all that was rendered was the highlights, the blacks falling into total black. It was, at the end of it all, only useful as an exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
    at 96,000iso you'd have full Sabattier aka 'pseudo solarization'
    Nope. That has nothing to do with ISO. You need to expose the film to light during development to get that.

all that was rendered was the highlights, the blacks falling into total black.
    Then you never got to that 96,000 speed - the film was thus underexposed (provided you metered correctly).

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Then you never got to that 96,000 speed - the film was thus underexposed (provided you metered correctly).
    It was a mathematic exercise (in pushing film to extremes) - so I'm sure I metered properly. I should find the negatives; I'm in Thailand and they are in New Zealand to which I am going next week. I'll have a look then.

It was about 10 years ago so it will be interesting to be reminded of it. What I remember was very high contrast results, as was the scene.

I'm sure I metered properly
    OK, then the conclusion is simple - if the negative showed only the highlights, you never reached 96,000.

12,800 seems to be the highest you can get (and I never got good results with Tri-X in Rodinal, anyway...):

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...er=&mdc=Search

Legend

Hit the ceiling, huh? My tutor did look at me sideways.

(and I never got good results with Tri-X in Rodinal, anyway...):

Tri-X 400 pulled to 100 and dev'd in Ilford ID-11 for 7 mins yields a beautiful tonal range.

ID-11 rocks!
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    ID-11 rocks!
    No you're talking.

AFAIK, ID-11 and D-76 were (are?) practically identical. I used D-76 for Kodak films, and Rodinal for Agfa.

I also tried Tetenal's color negative developer, but got rather crazy results - so I stayed with Agfa's chemistry. Did a lot of color prints with their CN process... Cibachrome, on the other hand, was a dandy method for making prints from slides, but expensive!

Legend

Cibachrome, on the other hand, was a dandy method for making prints from slides, but expensive!
    And skilled! I wish I could make Cibachromes of my digital work. But that's not going to happen.

Default The Story Continues....UH OH

Those bastages sure know how to keep us in suspense....

New 4K EOS Cinema Camcorder anyone?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/09/c...eening-at-NAB/
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

New Zealand to which I am going next week.
    Sweet!

Make sure you bring enough cash!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1 View Post
    Make sure you bring enough cash!
    Aye. It is shocking. Thankfully we'll be staying with family most of the time and my immediate family raise livestock and have huge vegetable gardens. Gas and eating when out and about will be the big thing. I think I'll dig out my MSR cookware and buy fresh while on the road.

Last night and this morning I was very tempted to buy a secondhand 5D MKII at less than half the price of a MKIII. But I couldn't do it. I want to see high quality samples from the 5D MKIII over the next few months - specifically I am looking for improvements in noise and reduced banding; essentially much higher IQ. To me noise has always been the 5D and 5D MKII's weakness despite claims of the MKII's 'superior low light perfomance'.

Well, I'm probably going to sell my 5DMKII.

I'm eying up the C300, and was also looking at Scarlet; but come on, those RED guys are still 'stopping' me from buying the cam.

Doucheness doesn't get bigger than this: http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/10/nomoreepic/

In the UK the 5D MkII was released at £3,000 for body only when it came out, now it's all the way down to £1,500 on Amazon.co.uk, B&H's price of $2199.00 in £ is £1403 so pretty similar

In the UK the 5D MkIII is apparently going to cost £3,000, the same as the MkII did
    Facebook me http://www.facebook.com/GeorgeEdMaier - Twitter me @GeorgeMaier - Stalk me!

George, don't forget VAT. That'll add a tiny amount of weight to the cam.

I still wonder why you Brits use pounds - kilograms are much easier to calculate with....
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

I will be looking at getting my first DSLR camera very soon. When I saw the 5D Mark III coming out, I looked at the features and specs and thought it would be a good camera to buy. Since I plan to keep the camera for at least 10 years, this would be a great camera to get with the latest technology. Then, I saw the price tag! Holy crap. The 7D looks a lot more attractive lol.

Since I'm just starting out, I'll be investing in a good wide angle lens, battery grip, CF card etc. It's just a camera for mostly photography for me, and the new Mark III is pretty and lens etc is costly for a first DSLR. I'm not going to rule it out yet, who knows, I may end up with a new Mark III since I plan to keep it for so long. I'll have to wait and see what a shop can do for me with a package on both a Mark III and 7D, and most importantly, what my budget will allow while still investing for my kids future. My kids come before my wish list.

I still have to learn how to properly use a DSLR in manual. I'll never stop learning, but hope I can get the basics within a few months. I'm going to look into a course or two to help jump start the learning curve.
    We are only limited by our own lack of creativity

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Shirley View Post
    My kids come before my wish list.
    That's astute, Aaron. I can't see myself being able to justify the cost of a 5D MKIII even if/when there is a slight price drop. I am certain the 5d MKIII will hover above US$3000.00 for at least 3 years. I can't afford that, and have to think of my wife and kid too.

So, now I am looking at buying a new MKII and working with that. The price of secondhand 5D MKII's is too close to that of new so I'll go that bit extra and buy new. I've been looking for a second body (to my 5D) for a while and think I could easily work with the MKII's video limitations.

One or two months - one or two more pay packets - and I'll offer the local shop $1900 for a new MKII.