Thread: "Refurbished" camcorder batteries

Default "Refurbished" camcorder batteries

I bought a couple of Canon BP-819 batteries off the internet, advertised as "refurbished". I was expecting it to refurbished by Canon; in a white box like the camcorders refurbished by Canon.

When I got them, the packaging looks exactly like a new Canon battery, with red packaging, except it's called "Canon BP-819 (SL)", new ones normally don't have SL attached at the end.

Made by Canon but, I assume, gray market.
    Has both Japanese and English text and appears to be made by "Canon Japan".

Are these safe to use in the US charger/voltage, etc.?
    Would you keep them/return them? (The price was good.)
    Last edited by net; 2012 February 27th at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    the packaging looks exactly like a new Canon
    Totally exactly?

Remember the thread about the fake batteries - almost identical packages, just a very slight difference in the typestyle.

I don't think Canon refurbishes batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Totally exactly?

Remember the thread about the fake batteries - almost identical packages, just a very slight difference in the typestyle.

I don't think Canon refurbishes batteries.
    I probably should just return them, right?

EDIT: I put in a request to return them/not going to chance it.

Thanks, Janke - I do remember that from a few years ago..for some reason that didn't occur to me at first.
    Last edited by net; 2012 February 27th at 15:08.

If advertised as "refurbished", is there a reason for a return? Were they actually said to be refurbished by Canon?

What did they cost, and from which country? What would it cost you to return them?

Answer these questions, and decide if it is worth it...

If advertised as "refurbished", is there a reason for a return? Were they actually said to be refurbished by Canon?

What did they cost, and from which country? What would it cost you to return them?

Answer these questions, and decide if it is worth it...
    Yes, they were advertised as "refurbished". It says "genuine Canon" from Canon Japan.
    I'm thinking of returning them, because if they're good fakes then there might potentially be issues. There is no mention of refurbished on the packaging, unless "SL" means something like "Second Life" - but I can't find that through a search.

How would I know if they weren't good fakes?
    The only thing fishy is that the "19" in BP-819 is lower than the "8".

Here's what the packaging looks like:

Last edited by net; 2012 February 27th at 15:49.

I meant from which country did you buy them...

how would I know if they weren't good fakes?
    No way to know for sure, but comparing packages might give a clue.Here are HD-tography's photos, first, the fake:

Them the real thing:

Note the difference in the number 8 in 819, and there's no SL on the real one.

Yours do look like HD's fakes.

Yeah, you're right...look at the text (mine left/actual Canon right):

And that's the easiest part to fake.

I meant from which country did you buy them...
    I bought them in the US from someone in the US; a seller within a retail site.
    Last edited by net; 2012 February 27th at 16:16.

Check the holograms also. I think Canon's has more "moving parts"...

I looked...not very hologrammy.

Oh no. I wouldn't buy any refurbish batteries. First, there're lots of fake products with packaging looks just like the original manufacturer's product. Then refurbished batteries usually won't hold charge after a few months.

I was solicited by some companies reselling their batteries that made with refurbished cells. Those price a dirty cheap. I refused them all.

Yup... this brings back (horrific) memories! Those are the IDENTICAL fakes I received, which melted down in the charger and nearly started a house fire while I slept... Canon confirmed them as counterfeit, and after I sent them to Canon's headquarters they were gracious to send me new genuine batteries... they in turn went after the counterfeiter (to my knowledge)... my advice, DON'T put your safety and gear at risk with those batteries! I've been using several decoded 3rd party aftermarket batteries and no issues, however the ones you have that pretend to be from Canon are very DANGEROUS!

Last edited by HD-tography; 2012 February 27th at 20:26.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3bLzUR7Tc5c/TllO5e9nLEI/AAAAAAAABN4/nr7ES2366dM/s500/charlie_tango2.png

Quote Originally Posted by HD-tography View Post
    I've been using several decoded 3rd party aftermarket batteries and no issues, however the ones you have that pretend to be from Canon are very DANGEROUS!
    Thanks. I thought they was going to be refurbished by Canon. I didn't open them and the seller is letting me make a return.

If what you're saying is true I don't know how these big online retailers, that allow these people to sell them, don't crack down on them.

Oh, well... chalk another thing up to experience.

If what you're saying is true I don't know how these big online retailers, that allow these people to sell them, don't crack down on them.
    Simple... they don't care, they make money either way... there is no accountability at all with online retailers, including Amazon, eBay, etc.

The percentages of fraudulent items increases, but so do their profits, it's the consumer who pays for it all in the end, so why should they care? There is no such thing as ethics within the scope of online sales policies, regardless of what they may try to claim.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3bLzUR7Tc5c/TllO5e9nLEI/AAAAAAAABN4/nr7ES2366dM/s500/charlie_tango2.png

Heh...now the seller is asking me why I won't keep the "new" batteries that was sent to me.

I told him he has a chance to take them back without any problems, but will explain if he really wants me to.

UPDATE: Will let me return.
    Last edited by net; 2012 February 27th at 22:46.

So, just to avoid any of us doing the same mistake - who was the seller?

Seriously, the seller should be reported to Canon for selling counterfeits.

(Selling no-brand batteries is not a crime, selling counterfeits is.)

So, just to avoid any of us doing the same mistake - who was the seller?
    Let's just say...there's a certain *cough* *cough* large river in South America...and in that river is a "refurbished" section for the BP-819... that's where all those sellers are...up the river.