Thread: Shoe adapter for HFM40

Valued Member

Default Shoe adapter for HFM40

The shoe for mounting a mic on the camera is really tiny... and has very little room available for sliding the foot of a mic mount into the shoe. Does someone make an adapter than will fit into that tiny thing, then allow a regular mic mount to fit on top of it? Looking to put a Rode VideoMic on top, or any other holder for a short shotgun, like the NTG2.

Who makes one? Who sells it?

Probably not the cheapest option, but anyway, on Ebay you can find quite a few adapters. Such as this one. I did find a cheaper one in the States, however it had a metal mount and I'm personally not a huge fan of using metal adapters on (intended) cold shoes.

If you still have to buy a mic, you might consider Canon's DM-100. I use it on my M41 and I'm very content with it. It has 3 settings, i.e. it can be switched from directional, via stereo to wide angle.

It goes into this intelligent shoe, is fed from the camera and so doesn't need a cable.

Lou
    S/W: Sony Vegas Pro 12, PC: Processor Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Camera: HF M41 PAL, WD-H43 Wide Adapter, Røde VM/SVM + Canon DM-100 mic.

Valued Member

I have learned that the faster way to find something on the net is to post a question on the board... within minutes after posting my question, I usually find what I need by myself... then have to crawl in a hole in shame for not finding it sooner and going pubic with my ignorance. whew. I have three HFM40s for class and already have three Rode VideoMics for them... also have booms, etc., but wanted to have the option to mount then directly on the camera... found several adapters, finally... may only get one to keep on hand, as the kids will probably not usually all need to mount at the same time.