Thread: Seeking Honest Opinions Re: HV20 & DVD Project

Default Seeking Honest Opinions Re: HV20 & DVD Project

In your honest opinion, can I produce a quality DVD using the HV20? I'm shooting documentary-style talking heads format, with probably a white or black backdrop with 3 point lighting and sound captured from a Rodes NTG-2 Mic. I will edit using FCE (mac). So do tell (or show footage) whether you think we can achieve quality with this set-up.

One more question: which mac-based dvd program would you recommend?

That Johnson Boy

Definitely!!!!! The HV20 is still and always will be an amazing camera. I have done an interview-style set up before and got some great footage. Since you don't have DVDSP I'd recommend using Toast to burn the DVD.
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

iDVD should do the trick. When you export from FCE just un-click "make movie self contained". This produces a reference file that exports much faster than the standard QT.

As you shoot under controlled light, the HV20 is perfectly suited for your endeavor. Stuff like that is my day to day job (am not allowed to show footage though). I've been using an HV30 for that since my Sony A1 (4 times the price of the HV, but 1/4 the IQ) died.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnsonBoy View Post
    can I produce a quality DVD using the HV20?
    Definitely. I've shot documentaries with my HV30 which were good enough quality to be broadcast by YLE, Finland's main TV channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Definitely. I've shot documentaries with my HV30 which were good enough quality to be broadcast by YLE, Finland's main TV channel...
    The land of Sibelius!

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnsonBoy View Post
    In your honest opinion, can I produce a quality DVD using the HV20?
    Short answer: Yes!
    Here's one grab I've took while playing a DVD I've created on a 1080p screen (external link):
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    The land of Sibelius!
    Indeed. Try playing "Finlandia" with full boost on your woofers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgwr3wrenkQ

Youtube strikes again.

I can't play it, blocked content in my country.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    I can't play it, blocked content in my country.
    Very strange. Why would it be blocked in the US/TX, and not here? I think it may have been a glitch.

If not, try one of these instead, almost as good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3RPAOFok4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUFvbVwq-I

(Oh, BTW, sorry for hijacking the topic... )

La jeune Québécoise charlie_tango's Avatar

Well compressed, the image quality from an HV is plenty enough. The compression process is the most important part. So far, Draps used Avisynth scripts to compress the videos using HCencoder and it gives results better than some recent DVDs.
    All Draps gear!

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_tango View Post
    Well compressed, the image quality from an HV is plenty enough. The compression process is the most important part. So far, Draps used Avisynth scripts to compress the videos using HCencoder and it gives results better than some recent DVDs.
    1) Of course it's enough. Any HD (even 1280x720) camcorder would be enough: it "compress" the HD resolution into 720x480 so the original image being sharper and having more resolution, the result is simply just right.
    2) That's the most important part. It can takes hours, 1-2 days to render, but take that time. Once it's rendered, that video will be used to create the DVD, which will be created once and burned as many as needed.
    3) So far, I had better results with Avisynth than with other software, such as Encore or Procoder.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

I shot a feature film on an HV40, it will be on DVD later this year all over the place. Not only is it good enough, the distributor has never asked nor cared what we shot it on.
    www.exit101movie.com
    exit101movie.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    1) Of course it's enough. Any HD (even 1280x720) camcorder would be enough: it "compress" the HD resolution into 720x480 so the original image being sharper and having more resolution, the result is simply just right.
    2) That's the most important part. It can takes hours, 1-2 days to render, but take that time. Once it's rendered, that video will be used to create the DVD, which will be created once and burned as many as needed.
    3) So far, I had better results with Avisynth than with other software, such as Encore or Procoder.
    That Johnson boy was asking for FCE. AVI is not supported in OS X. Doesn't even really run with WINE.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut