Thread: 1394 card recommendation for windows 7!

Default 1394 card recommendation for windows 7!

Hi all,

I've bought a new computer with beefy CPU in order to dedicate to the editing of HDV videos, however now I ran into troubles.

The cheapno ebay 1394 PCI card I bought eons ago acts strangely on win7, and 50% of the time, win7 complains that there isn't enough resource to allocate to the card(big yellow exclamation mark on device) while the other 50% of the time it works totally fine. There isn't any other cards on the motherboard other than one PCI-E 16x ati hd6570 vidcard...& I don't think the vid card would cause the problem. Swapping to another PCI slot doesn't solve the problem either, and the MB only has 2 PCI slots.

This cheapno ebay 1394 card worked well in my old junky winxp computer 4 years ago. Wonder what's the problem? The card deteriorated due to not using for 2 years? or shall I get a quality name-branded PCI-E (instead of PCI) 1394 card somewhere else? What gives?

FYI: this card is recognized in win7 as NEC 1394 firewire PCI card what not.

ETA: Even when the card is recognized by windows 7, I can't import anything from my HV30, the legacy driver method doesn't work at all as somewhere suggests. I bet windows 7 doesn't like this cheapno ebay 1394 card.... any suggestion for a new card that works 100% with windows 7 x64?

Quote Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
    ETA: Even when the card is recognized by windows 7, I can't import anything from my HV30, the legacy driver method doesn't work at all as somewhere suggests. I bet windows 7 doesn't like this cheapno ebay 1394 card.... any suggestion for a new card that works 100% with windows 7 x64?
    I would suggest pulling the old card out and putting it in a different slot.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Have you fixed the legacy drivers issue? You will need to change the driver Windows uses to recognize the card... otherwise it is unlikely that it would work, or in your case... work only some of the time.

Windows 7 had this issue from the start. I'm not sure why exactly, but it's a pretty easy fix. A search on google will lead you back to the fix, which is posted on this forum somewhere.