Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antman's Film Contest #33: Finish the story

Quote Originally Posted by RockDonkey View Post
    Uh! Brendan. Style impossible not to recognize. You start all ten themes but doesn't have it in you to finish even a single one of them. And to demonstrate who is in charge you make coffee that you wasn't suppose to have in the house. Arrogant bastard.

woah..... Are you sure that one of the themes doesn't finish it? Isn't being incomplete on purpose almost another way of being "finished" if it suits the world I am trying to create?

It is milk that is not supposed to be in the house so I'm not sure exactly how you could conclude that I am arrogant.

I have a gift in that my shorts seem to actually cause anger in people for absolutely no reason , I'm not actually sure if you are serious?

There is more then one way to tell a story other then having a "beginning, middle and end." Whether you enjoyed my short is a different question and I can understand if you did not. I am the one who gets to decide whether it is "finished" because I am the one who made it, pretty much as simple as that .

Eastern cultures have had circular storytelling for thousands of years, yet here in the west we are so stubborn in thinking that there is only one way to tell a story and that we must have all the pieces for it to "make sense."

Giving in to the "madness" is also a valid way of story telling in my opinion, especially when the protaganist might very well have a few screws loose. The scattered sense of reality can actually cater to the confused feelings they might be experiencing.

Anyways, now that I am done with that tangant... I had fun sorry to all who wanted to enter but couldn't for various reasons
    Last edited by Brendan_pr; 2012 March 12th at 14:08.

I could tell that you were going for the disconcerting vibe and I think you've achieved that for sure. I know you were dabbling in all of them, but my interpretation was that you were doing #7. "You're a schizophernic aspiring filmmaker and decide to make a film so you call up a bunch of buddies however they give you a hard time so you decide to make it yourself, BUT one thing is stopping you..."

Thanks for getting it done and submitted on time. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to extend the deadline to let Shaun complete his piece, or if you'd like to move on to the next them. Please let us know!

Hi Brendan, I enjoyed your video. It inspires me to go crazy also. Congratulations.
    HFS21 l HF100 l DM100 l Zoom H1

Quote Originally Posted by Vishus View Post
    I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to extend the deadline to let Shaun complete his piece, or if you'd like to move on to the next them. Please let us know!
    that sounds fair. I was the idiot who had it in my head that the deadline was the 17th. Whatever Brendan decides is good with me.
    Canon 5D Mk2 / Canon HV20

Sorry, but Brendan should first be fed this decision by force. Decisions are supposed to be done by them in charge. And for credibility's sake a decision about dead-lines is pretty much out of the question in a competition. Unless that date was wrongly written those who are late are disqualified. Unless the winner begs on his own initiative to discuss about a possibility for them in charge to consider extending the dead-line.

I would like to extend it and get more entries in

Quote Originally Posted by Playing View Post
    Hi Brendan, I enjoyed your video. It inspires me to go crazy also. Congratulations.

a neuropsychologist who did various tests on me once said that I have a "very high tolerance for the weird." So, I'm totally not crazy or retarded despite what some of my critics might say and I have doctors to back that up (LOL)
    Last edited by Brendan_pr; 2012 March 12th at 19:01.

Umm...

wow.

I will withhold further comment until the tentative new deadline... the 17th of March is it?
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3bLzUR7Tc5c/TllO5e9nLEI/AAAAAAAABN4/nr7ES2366dM/s500/charlie_tango2.png

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJUK View Post
    Just one entry so far. Anyone else finishing up and ready to upload?
    So far, looks like so. Sorry, I don't even have time for myself these days, I've received the emails but I'm working non-stop. I'll be off a couple days later this week, so I'll be able to breath (and possibly work on something).
    Quote Originally Posted by HD-tography View Post
    I will withhold further comment until the tentative new deadline... the 17th of March is it?
    I'd like to know too, I'd be more able to do something later this week.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

A suggestion:

Declare Brendan the winner and start a new round with the same theme.
    It is a great theme and there seems to be interest from others to do something with it.

It is not fair to anyone who made the deadline to extend the date.

Edit: And Brendan can do another crazy entry
    HFS21 l HF100 l DM100 l Zoom H1

A suggestion:

It is a great theme and there seems to be interest from others to do something with it.

It is not fair to anyone who made the deadline to extend the date.

Edit: And Brendan can do another crazy entry
    I like this idea! Anyone object?

Its a fine idea. Can I keep the same theme I was working on?

I'm ok with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunp007 View Post
    Its a fine idea. Can I keep the same theme I was working on?
    It's a good one, but in a fair respect to Brendan, I'd say probably not. Let's see how others see it now.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    I'm ok with that.

It's a good one, but in a fair respect to Brendan, I'd say probably not. Let's see how others see it now.
    I'd say it's fine. Brendan officially wins this round, and anyone that had some brainstorming done, or some footage shot can still use it for next round. you good with that Marc?

I'd say it's fine. Brendan officially wins this round, and anyone that had some brainstorming done, or some footage shot can still use it for next round. you good with that Marc?
    Good! I read it too fast first because I thought people would have been allowed to submit stuff within the extended deadline, and it wouldn't have been fair for Brendan.
    But keeping the same theme and making it the next one is a very nice idea. It's my last day of work before next wednesday, so I'll start working on something tomorrow most probably! I have an interesting idea floating in my mind right now...! Let's see!

Default Congrats to Brendan!

Brendan officially wins this round, and anyone that had some brainstorming done, or some footage shot can still use it for next round.
    How about some official judging/feedback for our (default) winner?

Please PM me your mailing address and preference for receiving either the Lowepro 9 x 9 x 9 cm Padded Lens Case or Lowepro 8 x 6 cm Padded Lens Case?

May I suggest we call the next contest "Repeat Finish" or something of the like? Perhaps we could have up to ten new themes and also give option to choose any of the 10 themes from this contest as well (in order to make provision for already started entries)?

Any ideas on how we can give this next one more exposure to get more competitive entries?
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3bLzUR7Tc5c/TllO5e9nLEI/AAAAAAAABN4/nr7ES2366dM/s500/charlie_tango2.png

I would like 10 new themes to choose from

maybe I will suggest one for the new list how about: "You hear about an internet video that apparently drives the person who views it crazy. Is this video real or just an elaborate prank?"

Please PM me your mailing address and preference for receiving either the Lowepro 9 x 9 x 9 cm Padded Lens Case or Lowepro 8 x 6 cm Padded Lens Case?
    OK got your mailing address Brendan... which size lens case do you prefer?

How about some official judging/feedback for our (default) winner?
    [..]
    May I suggest we call the next contest "Repeat Finish" or something of the like? Perhaps we could have up to ten new themes and also give option to choose any of the 10 themes from this contest as well (in order to make provision for already started entries)?
    1) I'll try to write my review for this round, as well as the 2 previous which I never had the time to wrote...
    2) I'd like to redo the same theme, while adding 10 more themes to the ones from the #33. I'd like to combine both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_pr View Post
    I would like 10 new themes to choose from
    I'd add these to the current, which I would simply redo as for the #34. Let's see how Vishus and AJUK see things...

Valued Member

I like the idea of "version 2.0" of the contest although I really wouldn't mind if deadline is extended since the deadline for the previous contest was extended too, because we were late our entry. Thanks again to admins for that.
    http://www.hv20.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32749&dateline=133042  9443

Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    1) I'll try to write my review for this round, as well as the 2 previous which I never had the time to wrote...
    2) I'd like to redo the same theme, while adding 10 more themes to the ones from the #33. I'd like to combine both.

I'd add these to the current, which I would simply redo as for the #34. Let's see how Vishus and AJUK see things...
    Sounds good to me. Draps, can you set it up please?

OK got your mailing address Brendan... which size lens case do you prefer?
    oh sorry, I'll get the smaller one

HD Shorts Moderator

I will write up my review for Brendan. Will post as soon as I can.

Brendan,

Just finally got around to watching your short. I always think your films are very interesting to watch. This one had a haunting feel to it. As always, I enjoy your movies.

I like the idea of Brendan coming up with the ten plotlines for the next contest.

Sounds good to me. Draps, can you set it up please?
    Done!
    Last edited by Marc-Alexandre Drapeau; 2012 March 15th at 01:41.

HD Shorts Moderator

1. The Ideas You Can Work With- Brendan Peterson

I liked the concept of taking the filmmakers journey and incorporating it into snippets of the films that might have been. The colour grading was interesting, and the first-person drug trip was a nice touch. Overall the film was fairly simple, and did become a bit repetitive after a while. Brendan certainly does have a distinctive style and this film fits right in with his oeuvre.

The cinematography was a bit on the loose side, with many shots out of focus or over/under exposed, however these issues tended to support the overall effect of the film. The produciton desing was a little worrying, it was hard to tell if the flat had been set up to look like that or if you guys actually live there. I hope it's the former!

Overall this was an interesting entry, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Brendan comes up with next. It's a shame there were no other entries, but Brendan would certainly have scored well if it had been a contested theme.