Thread: Camera bag?

Valued Member

Default Camera bag?

My 60D is coming on Tuesday and I am looking for camera bag. Can you guys recommand me a good bag for the following item;

1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
    1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
    1 60D body
    1 TASCAM DR-07MKII Portable Digital Recorder and a few batteries

Legend

That's not much gear and I would whole heartedly steer away from messenger style or shoulder bags leaving mostly sling or backpacks. Backpacks always get my vote and there are two types front opening and back opening. Front opening like most KATA (see the link below, there are lots of options), Lowepro and Tamrac, and back opening like Crumpler's Karachi Outpost which is a nice bag in three sizes. The KATA MultiPro-120 PL and Bumblebee-220 PL are both nice. I'd think about an investment in a quality bag with room to expand your kit - often we end up carrying more than we thought we would.

http://www.crumpler.com/us/Camera-Ba...anguageCode=EN

http://www.kata-bags.com/photo-by-ca...packs?n=0&va=t

Another option, and a basic, good bag is the Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW:

http://www.lowepro.com/prorunner_backpacks

Quote Originally Posted by BruceUSA View Post
    ...and I am looking for camera bag.
    Depends on what you want to do.

The Dr certainly gave some good suggestions, covering most situations.

Although, I've used pink Carrefour grocery bags in the past.
    It was a good way NOT to attract attention to expensive camera gear.

Sample image:
    44706-pink.jpg

I have the Kata DR 467 - solidly built***. Fits Olympus E-1 with grip and 14-54/2.8 attached, 70-300/4.5-5.6, 50-200/2.8, Vivitar Flash, raincoat, water bottle, pack of cigarettes, batteries, charger, card reader, 15" MBP with AC adaptor, .... with room to spare. Way cheaper than Lowepro, and as the Kata brand is not as common, it doesn't say "camera inside - steal me", and it looks like a simple day pack or school back. It is very comfortable to carry, even on jungle hikes.

*** mine has been heavily abused on truck beds, flying in the cargo bay of our puddle hoppers (Piper Cherokee), has been in torrent rain, ... and still looks like new. Amazingly, the metal parts haven't any sign of corrosion after some 7 years or so, despite the fact that we have a lot of salt in the air.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

It was a good way NOT to attract attention to expensive camera gear.
    Another idea would be a diaper bag. Who'd steal one? You never know what they are loaded with....

Yeah... who'd wanna steal this?

img_5423.jpg
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Legend

Although I mentioned Crumpler bags they can be pricey and I have seen seams split on them and the coved shape means less gear can be carried than in boxier designs; so I should recant the Crumpler suggestion.

I have, and can vouch for, the Think Tank Streetwalker Harddrive, too big for your needs, but they do make these:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...-backpack.aspx

What I like about the design rather than the KATA mentioned by cgbier is that you can fit more camera/audio gear into them because with the segregation between top and bottom compartments in models like the KATA 466/467 you lose space.

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Kata DR 467
    I like some KATA bags too. For a little gear the 466/467's are nice. One thing I don't like about KATA bags is how hard it is to get gear out of them. On a few models you have to fight the bag a little to get your hands on your gear.
    Last edited by Dr. Benway; 2012 February 19th at 02:43.

One thing I don't like about KATA bags is how hard it is to get gear out of them. On a few models you have to fight the bag a little to get your hands on your gear.
    The DR is actually pretty simple. You just have to fully open the zipper for the camera compartment, then you can fold out the whole shebang. Easy as cake.

Legend

Easy as cake.
    Yep. But I prefer the Lowepro Orion Trekker design where the top would fall out of the way. I like the KATA bags, but the need to pull out the bottom compartment, to tug on it a bit, is a little annoyance that I can live without. This niggle is completely personal and overall the 466/467's are well-made bags and totally fit for purpose.

Lowepro Slingshot 202AW does the trick for me...

My wife's Lowepro Nova bag has more space for the money, but it's a shoulder bag and not very comfy when you're on the road.

Legend

And... as the thoughts come to me, there are many no-name/'lesser' brands that make functional bags - presumably without the longevity of a Think Tank or KATA or Lowepro. Canon make some cheaper bags for budget-minded photo/videographers.

Check these out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...953+4291570227

I got a pretty good shoulder bag in the China store for some 15 bucks or so. Was big enough for Bruce's needs.

Dang, I think I have more camera bags and cases, than my wife owns purses...

Legend

Ain't that the truth! The ideal bag does not exist. I've bought and sold a fair few but am sure my current selection will do fine for a while.

I made a messenger-style bag ala Think Tank's 'Retrospective' for 1/4th the cost - I cut up an old Lowepro Fastpack 350 for its stiffeners, dividers and foam.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

I bought a Lowepro slingshot 202 for my GH1 and gear. Theres space for 4 lenses, at least a few spare batteries and some spare cards.

In the past, I carried my old HV30 in a nappy (diaper) bag, as it was given to me for free. Served me well, but I knew I couldn't use it to carry my lenses as well as the body... hence the purchase of the Slingshot 202.

Back in the 1960's my wife used to laughingly say that with camera bags they got guys to carrying "purses". This was a couple of decades before the appearance of "man bags".

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

My dad used to carry a purse in the seventies... containing his wallet and driver's license / car papers...

Only a decade then....

Valued Member

Thank you all. You guys are awesome. I am going with Kata DR 467. I am sure my lens collection will grown overtime and I already have a 15" laptop along with my current sets of gear, seem to be good for me for now.

I think Lowepro backpack is the best. I have a Canon XSi 18-55mm, 75-300mm, extra battery, charger, cable, 6 sdhc cards, remote shutter release, couple filters and still have room for another small lens (maybe a prime or macro). It was a little smaller than I had envisioned but it works for my needs. Mostly for vacations and photowalks, where I don't want to be weighted down. This is strictly a camera bag, since it is on the small side there is not much room for anything else.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    I think Lowepro backpack is the best.

Which one?

Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Legend

There are so many tiny bags for tiny cameras these days as people - amateurs, mostly - move to micro 4/3rds and mirrorless cameras. Larger bags are around in the shops here, although the range is disappointing. More and more they are being replaced by small capacity bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
    Which one?
    This one:
    arcticblueflipsidecamer.jpg

Legend

Thanks. do you know of any sling bags that allow fast access to two fullframe cameras?

Thanks. do you know of any sling bags that allow fast access to two fullframe cameras?
    Yes! There is Lowepro Slingshot Camera Bag. This is a great pack if you have multiple bodies or more than 2 lenses and a Flash. If you have less equipment, go for the 202 or 101. Same concept and quality, smaller sizes.
    Attachment 16925