Thread: HF S20 Capture question: clip length?

Default HF S20 Capture question: clip length?

I have a Mac OSX 10.4.11 running FCP 6 (FC Studio 2) and being that there is no way to use my .mts files raw, I use clipwrap to convert my HF S20 files into .mov files for editing. This works fine, but I'm wondering about capturing. Typically, I copy the files onto a hard drive straight form the camera. But I noticed that when I shoot anything of considerable continuous length it breaks the files up into segments. This causes a loss of footage at the ends of each clip by a few frames. Is there a way to work around this, or is this just the nature of working with these type of files? I often do long interview segments and I don't want to have to worry about cutting off my subject or losing footage. Thanks!

If you copy the complete card, with all files, to your computer, you can use Log & Transfer in FCP6. Clipwrap, at least the free version, is not anything to write home about.
    FCP6 will transcode your footage to ProRes. It's much nicer to edit.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

The breaking up of the footage stems from the archaic file system that is used for CF/SD cards, btw. The max file size it allows for is 2GB.

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    If you copy the complete card, with all files, to your computer, you can use Log & Transfer in FCP6. Clipwrap, at least the free version, is not anything to write home about.
    FCP6 will transcode your footage to ProRes. It's much nicer to edit.
    Thanks! So, when you say the complete card, do you mean I have to copy everything at once? Do I do it any differently than I've been doing it, which is just drag & drop? Also, if I already have the files imported can I work with what's there, or do I need to re-capture? Thanks again!

Drag and drop the whole card with its file structure intact somewhere onto your computer. For whatever reason, FCP and iMovie need the extra files and cannot import the AVCHD files directly.
    If you only have the AVCHD files, I saw a way to trick FCP into importing them, but I have to look that trick up again (can't remember where I saw it).

Ok, got it. So it needs all the random files, playlist, etc. Thanks I'll give that a try. I typically delete files after importing, but I'll try to re-capture with some of the footage I have & see if it works. If not, at least I know for the future. It's a little disappointing that there is no information about this from Canon. It seems like they really don't want to promote Mac products. Thanks for the help!

Canon has actually alway been working together very closely with Apple, and it is not so much Canon who is to blame for that issue, but rather that whole AVCHD thing. It is a long GOP inter frame codec that is meant for delivery, but not really for editing. Apple prefers that you edit in an intra frame codec, like AIC or ProRes.
    Additionally, your SD card is a fake BD which Apple doesn't support. The idea behind that is that a soccer mom could simply burn her card straight to a BD without any editing. iMovie and FCP have to pull your footage out of the card structure and transcode it. FCP X can edit it "natively", but it is not really recommended.

...and then there are all those licensing fees involved that Apple isn't willing to pay.

Great, thanks for the info! I've been converting to DVCProHD for editing. This makes the files huge, but I'm going for the best quality. How does the ProRes codec compare quality-wise? If it's comparable and saves me time, I'm all for it.

Ok, so I copied everything from the card into a folder on an external Hard Drive. When I try to use Log & Transfer, I get the message that AVCHD media is unsupported on PowerPC based hardware. Is this pretty much a no-go then? Am I restricted to converting files first?

The only solution you have is to either buy an Intel machine of look for someone with an Intel Machine to convert it for you. PPC doesn't support AVCHD at all.

Yes, that's what I'm discovering...Thanks!