Thread: Questions about Eneloop batteries and a Wireless LAV system

Default Questions about Eneloop batteries and a Wireless LAV system

I have an Energizer wall charger for AA/AAA NiMH batteries. Will that work with Eneloop batteries or do I need to buy a Sanyo charger?

I have been successfully using a cheap Bolun dual wireless LAV system, but it's single-frequency FM and occasionally suffers from interference. I can't change channels or frequencies.

I'm looking at getting a SHURE dual wireless UHF system. Any thoughts on the SHURE brand? Is UHF better than VHF (I'm guessing so just by the price difference)?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBard View Post
    I have an Energizer wall charger for AA/AAA NiMH batteries. Will that work with Eneloop batteries or do I need to buy a Sanyo charger?
    All NiMH batteries and their chargers should basically be compatible, EXCEPT fast chargers - they require batteries that are designed for fast charging.

If your charger has a 1 to 4 hour charge cycle, it's a fast charger. "Standard" chargers have cycles of 8 to 15 hours.

Check the small print on the batteries. There is usually a mention of allowed charging time and/or current.

More info about fast-charging <- there...

Thanks I ordered a set of 4 eneloop AA batteries with a charger and 3 more sets of 4 batteries without a charger. But, I ordered a AA/AAA/9V standard charger from Harbor Freight along with some 9v rechargeable batteries.

Valued Member

I have many Eneloop batteries, in both the AA and AAA sizes. They are incredible. I will never use a different brand again

Equally impressive is the Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger and Analyzer. I love that charger. It is basically a miniature, low-cost version of what battery design engineers call a "battery analyzer."

That means the MH-C9000 has way more functionality than you get in a $10 charger. This product is so worth the extra money.

It can run charge-discharge cycles to determine the capacity of your older (or new) NiMH batteries, so you can determine if old batteries should be discarded. It can do refresh cycles that sometimes wake up older tired NiMH batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by stockstradr View Post
    They are incredible.
    I agree.

Although I also use other brands successfully. All the major LOW-SELF-DISCHARGE NiMH batteries are awesome,
    and I also use DELKIN POWER, and POWEREX IMEDION versions, with equally good results.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBard View Post
    I'm looking at getting a SHURE dual wireless UHF system. Any thoughts on the SHURE brand? Is UHF better than VHF (I'm guessing so just by the price difference)?
    Grrr ... just got burned (again) by a SHURE wireless system last week: our sound guys couldn't make one day of our shooting schedule and as there were only two actors the producer rented us a couple of SHURE UHF lavs. One worked fine, the other one cut in and out all day. Unusable. Had to re-shoot.

Thanks Erik. What about Audio2000? I saw a good review on Vimeo for their single channel system:

and I'm thinking about getting their dual channel UHF system.

So far as on-camera dual-channel wireless lavs are concerned, the cheapest I've personally used and have nice things to say about are Azden (the current models are the 330LT and 325ULT). I've also had generally good luck with inexpensive wireless mics from Samson, but AFAIK they don't currently offer a dual-channel on-camera lavalier setup.

Bitter experience has taught me to avoid SHURE and NADY wireless systems whenever possible. JM2C, but I wouldn't count on any dirt-cheap, "off brand" wireless mic as a reliable solution to location sound.

I don't see why people want wireless stuff anymore, since you can pocket a Zoom H1 just as easily as a transmitter - and with no risk of intererence - you only need to remember to switch it on!