Thread: Serious Problem (help ASAP)

Valued Member

Default Serious Problem (help ASAP)

I have a short to shoot 2 weeks from today and I need this fixed.

I bought a Azden Sgm 1x a couple days ago. I bought it to attach it to my zoom H1 which only supports a 3.5mm plug. I got some Hosa XLR to 3.5mm 1foot adapter so I could use it with that type of recorder.

Now this is the problem... If I record audio directly from the Zoom H1's build in mic it sounds great. Once I use that adapter with the Azden mic it sounds like it has no bass and the trieble sounds high. The exact sound of like a clock radio or something. Its terrible and Im really pissed. I read online about something being unbalanced or whatever but it was to much for me to understand. Or is tht even the problem?

So what I am asking is... Is it a better Adapter I should be buying? is it the mic? If its a better cable can you guys please post a link?
    Thanks in Advance

~ Ken

What's the setting of the bass roll-off switch? If ON, it will cut the bass.

Also, check that the XLR adapter is wired properly.Is it a mono, or dual mono model?

There are schematics in another thread on hv20.com. A multimeter ($10) is a great tool to check connections with...

What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    i actually went to that link and a review says this lol.

Lots of Static

By somebody

from San Jose, CA

About Me Novice
    Verified Buyer

I bought this, and it wasn't compatible with my Azden sgm 1x. It produced tons of static, even when the mic device was off. Didn't work in my laptop, or my 60d.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    What's the setting of the bass roll-off switch? If ON, it will cut the bass.

Also, check that the XLR adapter is wired properly.Is it a mono, or dual mono model?

There are schematics in another thread on hv20.com. A multimeter ($10) is a great tool to check connections with...

redid it, still to low and sounds like crap

The converter works with my Azden 2x, Sony shotgun, Sony lav, Røde NTG-2.... haven't had any static so far neither on my H1 nor my HV. That thing is the best invention since sliced cheese.

I am always a bit skeptical about B&H buyer reviews. Especially, when they call themselves novice (honor their honesty though).

The static problem could be a QC issue. People still buy Toyotas

Valued Member

The converter works with my Azden 2x, Sony shotgun, Sony lav, Røde NTG-2.... haven't had any static so far neither on my H1 nor my HV. That thing is the best invention since sliced cheese.

I am always a bit skeptical about B&H buyer reviews. Especially, when they call themselves novice (honor their honesty though).

ok ill buy that one. you saved the day man! and the movie. Ill tell u if it works

Valued Member

This cable came in the mail today and it still does not work right. Its actually messing up like the other one. To save you some time... everything is new. Azden sgm 1x, zoomh1 and that adapter. The mic with that cable does not even work well with the t2i. It to low hooked into the camera!

Put a [charged AAA] battery in the microphone.

Also, for future reference, descriptive thread titles will get you help faster and better.

HELP, EMERGENCY, HELP NOW!!!!!, HELP ASAP!!!! -as hard as it may seem to believe- is rarely an attractive incentive for someone to want to help.

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 View Post
    Put a [charged AAA] battery in the microphone.
    If that doesn't work, then it's probably a preamp/recording level issue. I owned one in the past and I never had any problem with it.
    Recently experienced something similar with a brand new NTG-2, and the battery was the problem.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Valued Member

tried different battery.... all of them new. im thinking its the cable.