Check this out this stand I made for my LCD monitor. "Video Village"
I like the idea of both.. having a smaller one for run and gun shots outdoors.. and a bigger one indoors where we aren't gonna be moving a whole lot.
So I've finally gotten around to playing with my new GH2...
Here's my first thoughts...
- Its smaller than my T2i (which wasn't a shock since the GH1 was as well)
- more of its controls are manual (more buttons for specific things vs. having to scroll through menus)
- ISO is easier to adjust and doesn't get as confusing like the T2i did where the scroll wheel controls several different things. To change ISO, you press "iso" and choose the one you want.
There are more ranges of ISO (without having to hack the camera to get them) 160, 320, 640 and so on..
- The focus assist is great
- Of course the swivel LCD is great
- I don't have to press "shoot without lens" everytime i have a non native lens on the camera.
- It comes with more accessories than the T2i (but still not AC power)
- The footage is inheritently sharper (very first thing I noticed) than any of the Canon cameras.
- Histogram is cool and works pretty well.
- So far WYSIWYG on the LCD. The footage I've shot so far looks pretty much dead on to what I saw in the camera.
- I shot some test footage with one soft box and no other light, at 640/800/1250 ISO and all of it was fairly clean footage, completely usable.
- haven't got to try my primes yet, but the t2i kit lens to me was a slightly better lens than the gh2 kit lens, but not by much. This one seems less usable for alot of situations.
The t2i kit lens was fairly usable. I'd rather use primes on the GH2.
- The footage i've shot thus far is stunning though, and this is with an unhacked camera. I'm going to wait a bit before I delve into that. I hacked my GH1 and didn't have any issues, but because of the fiasco i had with my t2i, i'm very apprehensive about more hacks. The footage looks crazy good unhacked anyway.
I'll post some stuff soon, but all I have shot right now is my son playing video games shirtless and i'm not keen on posting images/footage of that on the internet.
- I like it so far!
Cool azmyth, looks like you got a lot of the features that the T2I had with hacks... without hacking the GH2. Guess you don't really need to hack it now cause those features come loaded. Looking forward to the test footage, sounds like this camera is beating all the Canon DSLR line. Still surprised that it's a Panasonic.
Did some video tests tonight. Using the kit lens, with 1 softbox for lighting at about 320 iso. Very Impressed with the image.
This is my son right before I'm sending him to bed.
This is me trying to look scary. You know what I love about this camera? I can actually film myself quite easily since I can hook up a BIG monitor to see myself on
Nice shots, azmyth. The lighting looks really cool! Hey did you get my last PM? I think my inbox was full but I cleared it so it should work now sorry about that
Great. It's a very tempting camera, the GH2.
More equipment than talent
I'd say get a deal on such monitor, or simply use a computer monitor (with HDMI input) for indoors, less problems:
Amazon's price is around $160 US right now, but they appear on evilBay, sometimes for quite cheap (mine was just over $125 w/shipping 2 or 3 years ago).
More equipment than talent
Did another camera and lighting test on my new GH2.. this time shooting with a 50mm 1.8 prime (Yashica m42 vintage)
Here's a capture!
Last edited by azmyth; 2012 January 8th at 12:11.
Yes, the second is out-of-focus, a definite no-no in 2-person dialogue shooting.
those stills are quite noisy, so you might want to add some lighting to your scenes.
I assume this was shot wide open, judging from the blur and the DOF ?
I shot wide open, but this was at 160 ISO, and according to the camera was properly exposed. Hmm I see what your talking about now that I'm looking at the stills, but it doesn't look like that in the footage. weird. Maybe its the image compression adding the noise. and not sure how I chose a frame grab that was out of focus for the 2nd one. Wow my eyes are getting bad.
Hacked my GH2 tonight, with the Quantum v7. I get about 137mbps bit rate from it.. wow....
I don't but I don't think the unhacked GH2 does even 40.
No, I know that one is out of focus. I somehow picked a frame where it is. My eyesight is pretty bad. I'm talking about the compression artifacts in the first one