Thread: Love this video

Default Love this video

I love everything about this video

It's interesting to see what can be done with relatively few resources. The setup is relatively minimalistic. The real eye candy is provided by the lighting camera movement and editing cuts. Look at those anamorphic flares and the sudden camera movements (you can even see some extreme parallax in some of the camera movements which you usually don't see.)

It's pretty cool. It looks like they have used a 2x anamorphic lense. I'm curious. Could it be a Kowa, a Proskar or something like that? The flares are brutal I like the background lighting arrangement too. Sparse but good to provide extra visual excitement.

I'd never heard of this band either. Kind of sounds a little bit like 80s New Wave.

Not sure what anamorphic lens they used but I've seen some Proskar that looked pretty clean. To fully enjoy the song, must have a nice speaker system or headset and listen to the beats . I'm hoping to have time soon to start messing with this stuff again. If you have a good script, let's do something

I need a bit more than some anamorphic flares. Sure they look nice, but after 20 seconds I've had enough. Look at the first 10 seconds of the video, and the last 10 seconds. You've seen the entire thing because nothing changes in between.
    "beautiful girls are the cheapest special effect"
    - Roger Corman

Sid, let me know what you are interested in shooting. I've been meaning to get back into writing, and a script sounds like a good idea. Out of the stories that I have 1 is too ambitious (too many actors, set in Phoenix.) Other is also too ambitious (WW I period piece.) The other one that comes too mind is doable. There would be no dialog, but a lot of voiceover. Also it might be problematic to shoot because it's narrated from the perspective of a peeping Tom watching people in different highrise apartments.

Do you have anything in mind for a story?

Gillvane, I see your point, but it's a music video. You could argue the music is almost the same throughout too.

Quote Originally Posted by MalfunctioningHuman View Post
    Gillvane, I see your point, but it's a music video. You could argue the music is almost the same throughout too.
    Good music videos are not usually one set up with some wide shots and close ups for the entire video.

- Roger Corman

- Roger Corman

When you say "good music videos are not this or are not that" I cringe a little. A music video either works or it doesn't work. A music video doesn't have to be a mini-movie or tell a story. A music video can just be a video of a band performing some music. Whether that type of video appeals to you it's a different story, and I respect that.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Music videos are weird and wonderful things. It's hard to define a music video... because you can do it so many ways.

Would you call this a music video?

I wouldn't call it music (thats a whole other kettle of fish)... but where's the story? Where's the music being performed?

Same with this:

These aren't "music videos"... or are they? Just a bunch of people dancing around while the main performer mimes to the audio track.

I could argue also that the follow ISNT a music video:

Because its the same thing throughout. The performer lip-syncing to the song.

But the point is, there is no single way to define a music video. You can have the above, which is MTV's (with the exception of the last one) idea of music videos. OR, you could have the following and consider them a music video as well. A music video isn't a short film, it doesn't have to tell a story. But, some songs tell a story... in which case, the visuals that accompany it need to tell a story as well.

(don't let the band name stop you from listening, it's actually a really good track).

You can define a music video in many ways, it's all down to its creator.

Sid, let me know what you are interested in shooting. I've been meaning to get back into writing, and a script sounds like a good idea. Out of the stories that I have 1 is too ambitious (too many actors, set in Phoenix.) Other is also too ambitious (WW I period piece.) The other one that comes too mind is doable. There would be no dialog, but a lot of voiceover. Also it might be problematic to shoot because it's narrated from the perspective of a peeping Tom watching people in different highrise apartments.

Do you have anything in mind for a story?
    At this moment I don't and to be honest, it'll probably won't be until next year sometime but I will definitely let you know . I think we should do somehting that's easy like you said where we don't need too much special effects etc. Just a good story to keep the audience interested throughout. I think I'm at the point where I will slow down on everything else and to start focussing on what I love most "film making" but it's hard when you have to make a living .

Quote Originally Posted by Gillvane View Post
    I need a bit more than some anamorphic flares. Sure they look nice, but after 20 seconds I've had enough. Look at the first 10 seconds of the video, and the last 10 seconds. You've seen the entire thing because nothing changes in between.
    That's the thing with "music videos", you can get away with almost anything as long as the music is good. There's no right or wrong way when it comes to making a music video. You can do some really crazy sh*t and get away with it . For that video I posted, what drew me in was the music first and formost. Maybe I should've title the thread "I love this song!" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by strancali View Post
    That's the thing with "music videos", you can get away with almost anything as long as the music is good. There's no right or wrong way when it comes to making a music video. You can do some really crazy sh*t and get away with it . For that video I posted, what drew me in was the music first and formost. Maybe I should've title the thread "I love this song!" haha.
    Sure, you can do whatever you want. I was just saying that look is cool with the anamorphic flares, but in that particular case the video is very repetitive. Wide shot, close up, cut away, wide shot, close up, cut away, of the same set up, over and over. That's pretty much it.
    - Roger Corman

Hi strancali,
    Great betamax official video and thanks for sharing with us.
    Love the music and lyrics specially that drum beat makes me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by strancali View Post
    At this moment I don't and to be honest, it'll probably won't be until next year sometime but I will definitely let you know . I think we should do somehting that's easy like you said where we don't need too much special effects etc. Just a good story to keep the audience interested throughout. I think I'm at the point where I will slow down on everything else and to start focussing on what I love most "film making" but it's hard when you have to make a living .
    That sounds like a good plan, Sid. I'm also trapped in the corporate world to make a living, and spend 2-3 hours behind the wheel everyday just to get from home to work and the other way around. I have been quite drained for a while, but I'm trying to work my way to a more normal situation slowly. I would welcome the opportunity to do something creative. I really like writing and I can create music for the film too. Let's do something in time. For now, start thinking roughly about what type of movie you'd like to shoot

That sounds like a good plan, Sid. I'm also trapped in the corporate world to make a living, and spend 2-3 hours behind the wheel everyday just to get from home to work and the other way around. I have been quite drained for a while, but I'm trying to work my way to a more normal situation slowly. I would welcome the opportunity to do something creative. I really like writing and I can create music for the film too. Let's do something in time. For now, start thinking roughly about what type of movie you'd like to shoot
    sounds good

Legend

....and spend 2-3 hours behind the wheel everyday just to get from home to work and the other way around.
    That sucks. Take it easy.

Legend

And chill some:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
    That sucks. Take it easy.
    Thanks, that's kind of you. Now I have 1 week Thanksgiving vacation, but because I am a contractor I don't get paid and I don't have an option to continue working because of company policy. But hey, I don't have to work!

I shouldn't complain really, I am fortunate I have a job with the way things are going for many other people.

Hendrix is *the* man.

Quote Originally Posted by Albien View Post
    Hi strancali,
    Great betamax official video and thanks for sharing with us.
    Love the music and lyrics specially that drum beat makes me crazy.

Surprisingly good music. Enjoyed that muchly.

Video was so-so....a tad bit too dark, shaky, out-of-focus & lazy (to cover up lack of more effort). IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 View Post
    Surprisingly good music. Enjoyed that muchly.

Video was so-so....a tad bit too dark, shaky, out-of-focus & lazy (to cover up lack of more effort). IMHO.
    Yea the music was what got me

But look at the anamorphic flares! They shine so!

But look at the anamorphic flares! They shine so!
    yup, without the flares, this particular video would not work .