Thread: 5D MKII/III Savings Plan

Legend

Default 5D MKII/III Savings Plan

Today I put aside the first of what will eventually amount to a new camera system, possibly a Canon 5D MKII, possibly a MKIII - a friend for my EF lenses.

Using superglue I glued shut an old cocoa tin and made a slot in the top - a place to squirrel away large notes.

As of now I have about US$100. I feel meek.

If you want to save your money with a high-dividend investment into a bridge, gimme a call
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

cocoa tin? lol
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    And yes, the cocoa tin, finally put to good use.

Honestly, that's the best way to save.

The Coin jar method alone can help you save a ton of money if you're strict about not going in it.

Keep at it, You'll have your camera soon enough

Just make sure someone doesn't toss it out by mistake! I don't know what security is like at your place but hopefully someone doesn't steal it (considering you reside in Thailand where conditions are not always easy for people in the community). I have many friends in East Africa whom live in mud huts or clay brick shacks and get robbed of their meager possessions all the time. Same thing in the City... So sad.

Good luck to you... maybe a lemonade stand?

Just seen that the Canon - EOS 5D Mark II is On Sale @ Bestbuy this week:

Reg. Price: $2,499.99
    Sale Price: $2,123.99
    You Save: $376.00

So by the time you get there, you may have to save less pennies!

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    Honestly, that's the best way to save.

The Coin jar method alone can help you save a ton of money if you're strict about not going in it.
    Exactly. And with the running inflation of paper money, you might even get something out of the metal value of the coins.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Legend

Yeah, the money's reasonably safe. I live in a building full of academic staff that has full-time, though understandably sleepy, guards. It's exciting to have started saving toward a DSLR - can't wait to fianlly shoot video through quality glass, and to gift my HV20 to some young punk. Bye bye tedious capture times.

HD Shorts Moderator

Good luck with the savings plan, I'm sure you'll enjoy your DSLR when you make the switch.

let's see some of your work with the HV20 before we recommend an upgrade, Pal! (or Doctor!)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
    let's see some of your work with the HV20 before we recommend an upgrade, Pal! (or Doctor!)
    Sorry, Sir. How remiss of me to forget the gatekeeper. How would you like that? Is a chocolate coated Blu-Ray with pink lollies delivered on my knees quickly followed by a big, wet kiss enough to get your permission to upgrade to a new camera?

I"m gonna shoot with my T2i till it blows up, then I'm getting a Scarlet. I'm going to use my new Scarlet to shoot puppies, and kittens.
    "beautiful girls are the cheapest special effect"
    - Roger Corman

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gillvane View Post
    I"m gonna shoot with my T2i till it blows up, then I'm getting a Scarlet. I'm going to use my new Scarlet to shoot puppies, and kittens.
    That's the spirit!

Legend

I had some extra money, and I have about 1/3rd of the ticket price of a 5D MKII stashed away, which I won't buy, I will wait for the MKIII or whatever's next.

I couldn't resist the temptation to complete (ahem, 35mm f1.4L?) my lens arsenal so this morning I went and bought one of these.

I'll continue saving and await the next 'prosumer' full frame DSLR from Canon.

Scary, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
    I had some extra money, and I have about 1/3rd of the ticket price of a 5D MKII stashed away, which I won't buy, I will wait for the MKIII or whatever's next.

I couldn't resist the temptation to complete (ahem, 35mm f1.4L?) my lens arsenal so this morning I went and bought one of these.

Scary, but fun.
    That's a nice piece of glass. I'm curious to see what the announcements are for Nov. 3 from Canon and Red. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't change the current landscape in some way.
    "beautiful girls are the cheapest special effect"
    - Roger Corman

OT- Doc, is the flooding in Thailand causing you and your family any trouble?
    More equipment than talent

As of now I have about US$100. I feel meek.
    So, how is it coming along Dr.?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by strancali View Post
    So, how is it coming along Dr.?
    Faster than the 5D MKIII!

I am not interested in the 5D MKII - I want to buy new tech for a change. I've spent a bit lately. The macro lens, a 60 litre dry cabinet to care for my gear, and yesterday I ordered a new tripod - a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 808RC4 head. So, after having spent money I'm sitting on about 1/5th of a possible MKIII ticket price.

lol... I have the same problem. Can never hold out long enough without breaking into the savings to buy new toys . I've been pretty good lately though!

Scary, but fun.
    That's a beautiful lens!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha View Post
    OT- Doc, is the flooding in Thailand causing you and your family any trouble?
    Yeah, a bit. Price gouging's occurring all over the show and even at the local fresh food markets. The supermarket shelves were very bare but trucks have made it through in the last week due to some roads being reopened. The 7-Eleven, the boring old 7-Eleven, was looking like... again, very bare. No bottled water for 4 weeks - now we buy semi-filtered and boil it before drinking. We can eat but not options of choice. It's not hardship but mere inconvenience.

The selling of 'relief packages' is rife. $15 worth of panty shields and instant noodles sold for $25 to stranded people.

Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by strancali View Post
    That's a beautiful lens!
    Yes, way beyond my current lazy (or lack of free time) photographic efforts!

Legend

I listed my 5D (classic) for sale and I'm asking a reasonably high price.

I am taking advantage of their value in the NZ market while I am here on holiday.

Then I can return to Thailand and put that money toward two MKII's.

Thought I'd skip the MKII but with the MKIII's pricing that's unfeasible and I want two fullframe video capable stills cameras.

So if someone bites here in NZ I'll find the chap with the sharpest pencil willing to sell two new MKII bodies.

I think it's a good plan.