Following on from the Horror contest we have decided to base the next contest around another film genre. This time it is Noir, one of the most celebrated of genres and certainly one which should offer some great opportunities for creative cinematography.
The Theme is "NOIR"
There are no specifically required elements for the films, other than that they conform to a clear interpretation of film noir or at the very least the dictionary definition of the word "noir".
So you could also legitimately choose to make a film about darkness or a film about blackness or even a movie about milkless coffee. It could be a very open brief really if you approached it with that in mind.
For the genre of film-noir its worth pointing out that you don't have to make a period movie or a black-and-white movie or even a detective movie for it to be a film-noir, films as diverse as Bladerunner, Se7en and Redrock West can all be considered to be film-noir.
You are free to make whatever story, whatever type of video you wish as long as it respects the following rules:
1) Can't be longer than 5 minutes
2) Shouldn't be rated over PG-13, unless specifically mentioned in the contest's individual thread.
3) Video should be posted on vimeo official page ONLY. Videos for the current theme will not be available to view until the contest deadline > managed by drapeama, Vishus or AJUK, moderators of the official page.
4) The winner can enter the next competition. Their entry will be considered 'non competitive' to make it fair on others.
5) a) Use of copyrighted material/songs : as long as it's not the center point/plot of the story, it's allowed. Otherwise user will be disqualified. Example : the coca-cola can/SONY tv . somewhere in the movie isn't considered as a copyrighted infringement.
b) “Use of copyrighted music both in lyrics, score or performance, other than such that is recorded incidentally during normal filming, without a release will result in the video being disqualified. “
6) Entries must be made specifically for the theme submitted to, within the deadline. All entries made before the announcement of the theme will be disqualified.
7) Users judging the contests, officials judges or not, should use the template available in this post to post their reviews. Of course, only the officials judges' reviews will be considered to decide on a winner.
Contest deadline is Sunday 24th July 2011 Midnight UTC. Which translates to roughly 3 weeks for this one.
Get on it ladies and gentlemen!
Submit your entries to the following group ONLY: http://www.vimeo.com/groups/antmansfilmfestival
But wait... there's more! I am donating a prize for this competition, and as this is expected to be a theme that generates some interesting cinematography and lighting, what could be a more fitting prize than a piece of lighting gear?
The prize is a brand new 126 LED light like this, complete with camera/hotshoe mount, diffuser filters and battery adaptors so you can use it with regular batteries or camera battery blocks. A great prize for anyone looking to build up their kit and this light will be delivered directly from the manufacturers to the winner. The winner can also choose to have the cash equivalent instread.