Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JuicedLink slider

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krute View Post
    Looking at all these ideas for sliders, I think there's one thing they all have in common. They are all so small.
    I was working on my own slider [...] Yes, my system will look like extreme overkill.
    1) That's mainly the point, otherwise we'd probably do some real dollies and we'd sit on it while oprating the camera. The point of having these sliders so small is that you can carry it and install it virtually everywhere. Plus, operating it is quite easy too, it doesn't require much place, let's say for indoor shooting:

2) Overkill and safer, yeah probably. To each his own in this case. I find my system quite good the way it is, even if it needs some minors adjustments untill it reaches the "final version".
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Infallible (& formerly known as Krute) Jim E's Avatar

Oh I'm not dissing those sliders, Drapes! They're convenient, and they look professional. Yours is very well-made and looks very elegant. And as I said, I'd it were mine I'd only add one thing - a reciprocating wheel on the opposite side of the track to make 100% certain it couldn't be tipped over. And it'd be safe from leaping cats!! Those little devils can jump pretty high!

Mine will be less convenient, harder to transport, and awkward to get into small places. But I'll never have to give a single thought to my camera's safety, while it's around clumsy or distracted personnel.

No, I do like your design and I think it will serve you very well. I assume you have some experience in hobby enginering, because it's very well put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Krute View Post
    Oh I'm not dissing those sliders, Drapes! They're convenient, and they look professional. Yours is very well-made and looks very elegant. [...] No, I do like your design and I think it will serve you very well. I assume you have some experience in hobby enginering, because it's very well put together.
    1) Yep, every tool their strenghts and weakness!
    2) Thanks, mine is for now, a rough version of what the final slider will look like, but as far as it goes, it doesn't look like that neither:

Seriously, I can't wait to get it done (when I'll have some free time to put on that) as I really want to do a great slider that will (which is already doing) produce great results.
    As I said, I'm still working on the concept and I'll probably have some time to put on that later this week. Can't wait to finish it.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Thanks for the reply drapes, that all looks great. and that Matte box pictorial is exactly what I wanted.

What is the filter holder/round piece? Is it an actual filter holder, or something else?

Krute

The best thing I've seen of that size, are ladder dolly/sliders, which use an actual ladder as their track. This is great because you get the utility of having a ladder on set, and 8 ft of gorgeous and durable sliding surface.

Default Another OMFG! they sell that "professionally"

Well, I was searching again on youtube for different sliders version and found that from cinevate. Usually, they produce great things/tools, but look carefully around 1:18...:

My setup isn't wobbling that much...

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    What is the filter holder/round piece? Is it an actual filter holder, or something else?
    1) In the picasa link, it's a 80mm PC fan plastic case screwed on a plastic bowl. In the version I've done, which is a bit more long and hard to make, I've used a Cokin P system (holder and hood) on the same plastic bowl, glued and finished with some fiberglass potty/mastic. It looks cool but takes more time to build.
    2) Cokin P system I've bought on ebay for less than 10$.

Infallible (& formerly known as Krute) Jim E's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    The best thing I've seen of that size, are ladder dolly/sliders, which use an actual ladder as their track. This is great because you get the utility of having a ladder on set, and 8 ft of gorgeous and durable sliding surface.
    Yes, that would be a versatile rig, HS. And you could carry the ladder on your roof racks to locations.

Krute, why don't you add a little house at one end of the slider? Like a cuckoo-clock By the way, a solid rock slider is not necessarily the best solution. It can go either way. Worst case scenario, the weight of the slider could work as a sort of extra weight to the camera. It just depends on what hits the ground earlier, the camera or the the slider. Alternatively you could decide upon using to plates, below and above the camera. If the plates are dimensioned quite a bit larger than the camera, the remaining reason why it could die in action is it hitting something which fits between the plates.
    So a cuckoo-clock with two plates with a camera sitting in between, ah...if your camera dies I'd say the people you worked with simply wanted it to die, for that there is no way to protect it apart from keeping an eye at it, at all time.

Hey guys, just a little update (no pictures yet, but tomorow):
    I've been able to make the rails adjustable, and the slider fits perfectly on it. It's really smooth, and there's less chance that it drops from the rails with this. It's nothing revolutionary, but for the price, it really do a great job.
    I'll post some detailed pictures tomorow, when I won't wake up anyone with the lights and flashes!

Here's the pictures of the rails' modifications:
    A rod with bolts that allow the adjustment of the rails, according to the fixed size of the trolley:

The middle rod to avoid the rails to move/spread:

With my HV40 (and new DIY matte box as well):

I wouldn't change my concept, but this one is nice and easier to do:

Update on the JuicedLink slider:

Maybe a bit pricey starting at 194$, but at least the rods are standards sizes that can be bought at the local hardware store and with this new version, you can literally make it the lenght you want.

That being said, I like my version that uses square aluminium tubes, and with the new adjustment method I've tried, it makes it easier to adjust and provides better and smoother results.
    Anyway, for those that are interested, you can buy it directly from the JuicedLink website here.

I have seen the hex piece that Juiced Rail are using somewhere??? It is the piece that all the bearings go into... I think it might even be off the shelf. Anyone know?

I don't know. The idea of using that hex piece is quite clever, but I still prefer my design. It doesn't even wobble or very little when you slide the camera on it.

Wow that is really smooth footage. I need to add a slider to my arsenal... however it will be DIY based on other designs put together
    Vice President, Team HVFF - http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ HV Follow Focus
    Proud owner CamDolly - Modular Camera Dolly and Slider System

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    Wow that is really smooth footage. I need to add a slider to my arsenal... however it will be DIY based on other designs put together
    Mine is damn smooth and quite easy to do, you should consider it if you ever start building one.

Quote Originally Posted by netrate View Post
    I have seen the hex piece that Juiced Rail are using somewhere??? It is the piece that all the bearings go into... I think it might even be off the shelf. Anyone know?
    They claim to custom mill all those aluminum pieces, but you may be able to find something "similar" off the shelf and try to make it work... which of course is the very essence of DIY

They always claim custom made parts... but that is not always the case. Yeah it looks like you can alter it or make it work somehow...

Most important thing to me would be to take it on the road easily. Portability would be nice. I'm not sure one actually needs a slider which can cover the entire house in one move with the camera on full zoom. Just if you are doing a timelapse the extra length would be welcome, but with video a long slider you risk lengthy shots. The three foot is already become quite bulky if it is not modular in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by BarteS View Post
    Most important thing to me would be to take it on the road easily. Portability would be nice. [...] The three foot is already become quite bulky if it is not modular in some way.
    Portability is indeed important. 3 foot is a bit short to me. I'm using 6foot with mine and I like it. Of course, in tight space, it's not the best option, but I think 6foot is a good compromise and the lightweight of the rails makes it easy to carry. Only the lenght can be a problem.

Drapeama, how did you drill the holes in the metal evenly spaced? I remember using a "L" aluminum piece in the past to make a dolly and could never get the precision necessary. How did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by netrate View Post
    Drapeama, how did you drill the holes in the metal evenly spaced? I remember using a "L" aluminum piece in the past to make a dolly and could never get the precision necessary. How did you do it?
    On a press-drill. Marked the distances on the guide and I drilled the holes on each side by flipping the bar. So everything is at the same distance. Quite easy DIY work. And using a rod with washers/nuts makes it adjustable. Once adjusted, it doesn't move at all.

Thing is, I don't have a drill press. That is precision work you did there. I don't know about this design, I'm still thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Almohada View Post
    Thing is, I don't have a drill press. That is precision work you did there. I don't know about this design, I'm still thinking about it.
    1) That would be a good investment for any DIY guy!
    2) The JuicedLink design is great, it uses 5/8 rods which are cheap and can be found pretty much everywhere in any local hardware store. The square aluminium tubes are solid enough and doesn't require any 45° drilling in the pieces: everything it at 90°, which can be done easily. Just saying.