Well, I feel kind of bad submitting a theme after winning a contest by default... but the contest must go on.
I've been trying to think of a theme all day. It's hard to think of one with a lot of possibilities without being too specific.
How about "Doomed" (open genre)?
I think it works for (dark) comedies or serious shorts, and there are plenty of possibilities for either.
See you next contest!
The backup judge, in the event of a stalemate is KingDucky
Reminder of the Rules:
1) Can't be longer than 5 minutes
2) Shouldn't be rated over PG-13
3) Video should be posted on vimeo official page ONLY. Videos for the current theme will not be available to view until the contest deadline > managed by Shigeta, creator of the official page.
4) The winner can enter the next competition.
5.) Usage of copyright/trademarks:
a) Usage of copyrighted objects, images or trademarks is permissible so long as they are not central to the plot of the short. Usage beyond this such as green screen backdrops, fake commercial of a real product, etc. requires release from the copyright/trademark holder.
b) Use of copyrighted music both in lyrics, score or performance, other than such that is recorded incidentally during normal filming, without a release will result in the video being disqualified.
6) Entries must be made specifically for the theme submitted to, within the 2 weeks deadline. All entries made before the announcement of the theme will be disqualified.
Join the Official Group here and add the video to it. To do this, upload the video and in the settings you can submit it to the group after you have joined.
DEADLINE IS August 2nd at 3 P.M Pacific Standard Time (-8 GMT)