Thread: FP24 in WMP12

Default FP24 in WMP12

After some grueling research I'm still not sure how to remove the pulldown, or how my vids would benefit from it. I don't seem to see the severe side-effects of the pulldown as shown in some example pictures.

But I digress...

What I really want to know is, if watching the .m2t files with the pulldown in WMP12 I find them to be of acceptable quality, does that mean that I don't need to bother removing the pulldown? In other words, am I already seeing the negative effect of the pulldown in that video?

Also, is the FP24 mode good for anything else than using after having removed the pulldown, or can I make proper 30p/60i vids with it?

Help would be trully appreciated.

If you're going to make Bluray or DVDs of your PF24 footage, you do not need to remove pulldown. Interlaced footage with pulldown is acceptable for these formats. If you're going to upload to a website for viewing or transfer to film, you will need to remove pulldown to get 24fps progressive video.

See my 3:2 pulldown remover utility in my signature.

Thanks for that.

However, when I was trying to remove the pulldown in the videos using your program, it would only work with the ffdshow codec which really degraded the video quality, or the lossless format. The other formats would just shut down the program, and the avid codec isn't even listed there (which I assume it should be?)

Do you know a place that would describe the actual workflow for removing the pulldown and deinterlacing the video, as well as making intermediate files? The workflow sticky is outdated it seems, and not fully congruent with your method.

What version of windows are you using?

The ffdshow codec contains quit a few codecs in it that you can set the parameters for. For lossless you can set it to HUFFYUV. Though not the best quality, MJPEG at the highest quality setting provides fast preview in your editor.

The Avid codec is only for quicktime compatable programs for encoding.

Thanks for your help Khaver. It's great that you're working on making a free solution to this pulldown mess Canon created.

But after many false starts, I'm realizing that the time and energy required with the freeware solution is a little bit more than I'm prepared to deal with. Considering that even in ideal cases this solution is still rather time consuming, I think I'll just save myself the headache and go with neoscene. I installed the trial and it works great.

For reference though, I'm running windows 7 64bit. I have premiere pro and aftereffects cs4.

orshick, sorry you couldn't get it working. One of these days I'll have to set up a dual boot system with Win 7 on it so I can test my utilities on it. I do know others have gotten it to work on Win7 64bit.

Neoscene is a great product, I just wanted to provide others strapped with cash with a way to get 24p footage. Avisynth can do it, so I didn't want to, or rather didn't know how to, "reinvent the wheel".