Thread: Movie recording has been stopped automatically?

Valued Member

Default Movie recording has been stopped automatically?

On my canon t2i when ever I record in movie mode a little guage bar appears on the side and says "Movie recording has been stopped automatically". It has never done this before I got a new sd card but even when I switch back to my old sd card it does the same. What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmdelsol97 View Post
    On my canon t2i when ever I record in movie mode a little guage bar appears on the side and says "Movie recording has been stopped automatically". It has never done this before I got a new sd card but even when I switch back to my old sd card it does the same. What do I do?
    You are experiencing "buffer" over run. Your SD card(s) are not keeping up with the camera. Usually this means you are using cards that are not Class (6) or faster SDHC, or you have "bargain" brand cards that even if marked Class (6) do not meet that specification.

Or you have "counterfeit" cards, a common occurrence with cards purchased on ebay.

I purchase only SanDisk cards from B&H or from amazon provided they are sold by and shipped from amazon. A few exceptions when ordering through amazon are Blue Proton (an amazon associated seller I've purchase from several times), Adorama (has a reputation very close to B&H), 47th Street Photo and 17th Street Photo (two other very reputable firms).

SanDisk cards cost more but unless you get "counterfeit" items, do deliver as advertised.

I assume by SD cards above you really mean SDHC. If in fact you are trying to use SD media, that will never function for HD video in the T2i.

Valued Member

Yea I got it...It was. Kingston sdhc 16gb class 4 card...I took it out and cleared my settings and pit back my old sdhc class 4 card and it works now.

Yea it is the SD card. I got a patriot class 10 that this was happening to, I was very frustrated it turns out there is some compatibility issue with a the hard ware, or stoneware that Patriot knows about. They told me to send it in, I have not got it back yet though so I can not report on how succeess ful the repair is.... or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmdelsol97 View Post
    Yea I got it...It was. Kingston sdhc 16gb class 4 card...I took it out and cleared my settings and pit back my old sdhc class 4 card and it works now.
    Class (4) is not fast enough to use for HD video in the T2i. The manual specifically states Class (6) or faster. Class (4) may seem to work in some instances but where your video has a lot of detail or fast motion will NOT be reliable.

In addition with the previous model, the T1i, the camera showed it could be quite "brand picky". Kingston Class (6) cards in several cases exhibited "buffer over run". For that camera Canon techs advised some folks to use SanDisk Extreme III and that solved their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanService View Post
    Yea it is the SD card. I got a patriot class 10 that this was happening to, I was very frustrated it turns out there is some compatibility issue with a the hard ware, or stoneware that Patriot knows about. They told me to send it in, I have not got it back yet though so I can not report on how succeess ful the repair is.... or not.
    Patriot is a brand I have seen quite a few complaints on. You spend a "Grand" or so on a camera with fantastic performance...

...Don't skimp on the media.

I use SanDisk Extreme IV CF in my 7D, I used SanDisk Extreme III SDHC in the T1i when I had that and am holding 2 of those cards in case I succumb to the urge to get a T2i to supplement the 7D.

The possibility of data loss or inability to function while on a project is not a risk I am willing to take, so I WILL NOT "fiddlefart" around with "bargain media".

There are some class 4 cards that work. We pulled 16gb, class 4, 60x Kodak SDHC cards we had on hand to use in the T2i when we first received it. Had no trouble at all keeping up with video, it did have some trouble with the mutli shot mode for sports when using it as a camera. Go with a class 6 and get some rest at night knowing your data issues will be from something else other than that cheapest thing involved in the process.
    Camera/Geek/Producer/IMDB/IMPA
    Iowa - MidWest USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    Kingston Class (6) cards in several cases exhibited "buffer over run". For that camera Canon techs advised some folks to use SanDisk Extreme III and that solved their problems.

I've heard the same about the 500D and Transcend cards, as well as Kingston. They are supposed to work on the 550D, though I did get a buffer overrun with a Transcend Class 6 card, after I had deleted a lot of non-contiguous files from it.

A freshly formatted Transcend Class 6 card seems to work fine in the 550D, so it appears Canon has fixed the "incompatibility" - it's not a bug, it's a feature...

Quote Originally Posted by movielighter View Post
    There are some class 4 cards that work. We pulled 16gb, class 4, 60x Kodak SDHC cards we had on hand to use in the T2i when we first received it. Had no trouble at all keeping up with video, it did have some trouble with the mutli shot mode for sports when using it as a camera. Go with a class 6 and get some rest at night knowing your data issues will be from something else other than that cheapest thing involved in the process.
    The point I keep trying to make is "yes, some class 4 cards may work, and a lot of folks feel the "bargain" grade class 6 work despite some instances of pretty drastic failure".

And in your last part you do give credence to the concept of staying with "first class" product with a long record of earned reputation.

But many of those looking to get by with lower expenditures (and who can blame them?) will take the "these work" statements as a strong indicator they can get by with the "bargain" product without risk.

Imagine just finishing a series of "takes", your acting talent is getting out of costume, relaxing, some heading for cars to go home, sound guy taking down the gear and packing it up, and you are about to start doing a quick review of what you got...

...And the camera suddenly can't read the card.

Because much of the time that is when the "cheap" stuff will really let you down.

Hard.

And this is the kind of disaster I hear about most.

Yes, I agree 110%, these are only the ones we had on hand while we were waiting for the class 6 - 32gb cards to get to us. I do not use the class 4 now, but this is the point I was also trying to make. Just because they might work, you are sure to get burned by the class 4 one day for sure.

There is nothing better than equipment that fails on a Hollywood set. This can provide more entertainment than any feature film that was ever made. Watching some poor Bast@$# getting ripped up and down by a director, then doubled teamed by the producer, is a constant reminder to spend a little more to make sure the equipment works.
    Last edited by movielighter; 2010 May 15th at 15:34.
    Camera/Geek/Producer/IMDB/IMPA
    Iowa - MidWest USA

Valued Member

Same issue here. It keeps buffering on my 16gb Class 6 "transcend" brand card. But my 8 gig kingston, which is class 4 works super well. So It's partly the manufacturer.

Have you tried a freshly formatted 16gb Class 6 Transcend?

Sometimes deletion of files slow a card down....

my 32gig patriot class 6 hasn't given me any problems , I just shot my son's award ceremony for 1 hour straight (no overheating by the way) and all the other stuff I've been shooting

Very old thread I know, but wanted to contribute a couple data points:
    Kingston Class 10 ultimate X 100X in both 16GB and 32GB size cannot record video on my T3i, crashes with "Recording has been stopped automatically" after anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds.
    Transcend Class 6 8GB will record until full every time.

Really bent about this that a name-brand Class 10 card bought from Micro Center underperforms a Class 6. Messed me up trying to film a Christmas party last night.

Will try a 32GB Transcend card next.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Really bent about this that a name-brand Class 10 card bought from Micro Center underperforms a Class 6. Messed me up trying to film a Christmas party last night.

You'll be way better off trying a 32GB Sandisk Extreme:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mory_Card.html

...Or even Extreme Pro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_32_GB.html

SanDisk is a "brand name" media card that established a proven record going back as far as when digital cameras began using flash media cards. Transcend, while the best of the "bargain" brands, was a "johnny come lately" that made it's appearance just a few years ago and is more of a "bargain" brand than a "name" brand like SanDisk or Hoodman RAW.

Transcend does seem to work for quite a few folks but I still see frequent enough problem reports on Transcend media that would prevent me from taking a chance on it.

And for Pyro: Patriot may have "cleaned up" their act in the last 2 or 3 years but just prior to that Patriot, A-Data, and Dane-Elec brands enjoyed an absolute dismal record of media performance failure.

The problem is that when failure occurs it's usually on a project that is something irreplaceable.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    You'll be way better off trying a 32GB Sandisk Extreme:
    As Bif suggested (and because I own both brands/class), the Sandisk is your best bet. The transcend isn't bad, but can't stand the Sandisk.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Newbie Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but I just went to Target and bought a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Performance card, and it's still giving me the same error message. I just installed Magic Lantern on the card--any idea whether that will affect things? It seems to be that it ALWAYS gives me this error message on the first recording after I slide in the card and turn on the camera for the first time. Recordings after that are fine.

You sure you got a real SanDisk? There's a lot of fakes swirling around.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Forum Mogul

Hello Bballin, if you have a 95mb/s class 10 type 1 type for the T2i and it is still doing that then i think i know clearly what it could be.
    You may have to reduce your bit rate, it is set a little too high! To do that go to the button by the recycle or trash, press it once that should initiate the ML it is somewhere in there i just cant recall off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by bballin View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I just went to Target and bought a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Performance card, and it's still giving me the same error message. I just installed Magic Lantern on the card--any idea whether that will affect things? It seems to be that it ALWAYS gives me this error message on the first recording after I slide in the card and turn on the camera for the first time. Recordings after that are fine.
    Last edited by STUDIO32MID; 2014 January 4th at 01:43.