Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 7D

Spidealex; Sorry to be a pedant, but I think you should change your video to the youtube version. The one on vimeo has simply been ripped from youtube and reposted on vimeo. It's better to link to the original video on youtube.

back on topic. The pre-order price doesn't make any sense to me at the moment as it's £1700 body only in the UK but in the US it's $1700! I think I'll end up doing what I usually do and importing one once they are available! The body saving goes a long way towards a very nice lens... which will be what really makes this camera shine.

I don't think people should underestimate the quality difference between good and bad glass. I used to do a lot of photography and have friends who are pro photographers, so I definitely appreciate a super clean fast lens. If you're thinking of sticking a 50mm f1.8 on this camera then I think you're not really doing it justice. Or perhaps it's better to say that you're not going to get the best out of it. As a starting point it works... but none of us want something that simply works, we want the absolute best thing we can afford!

The pre-order price doesn't make any sense to me at the moment as it's £1700 body only in the UK but in the US it's $1700! I think I'll end up doing what I usually do and importing one once they are available!
    There is another option, and that is buying it in switzerland, since they only put a 7.5% tax on their products. The D7 preorder costs £1200, obvioulsy this only make sence if you go there and pick it up yourself..

I used to do a lot of photography and have friends who are pro photographers, so I definitely appreciate a super clean fast lens.
    A quick question, what would you consider a super clean fast 50mm lens for this camera?

Best,
    Cris

Cris-
    This glass is butter... Canon 50mm f1.2
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-Lens-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000I1YIDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252496150&sr =8-1"]Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by cgcris View Post
    There is another option, and that is buying it in switzerland, since they only put a 7.5% tax on their products. The D7 preorder costs £1200, obvioulsy this only make sence if you go there and pick it up yourself..

A quick question, what would you consider a super clean fast 50mm lens for this camera?

Best,
    Cris
    Since I live about 1 hour from Switzerland I guess that's another option! Any tips on which shops will have it in stock?

EDIT; I can't find any stored in Switzerland showing a price of 1699 CHF, which is what some people on the net are claiming for the swiss price. I'll wait and see what happens when it hit's the stores I guess.

As the above poster noted, the 50mm f/1.2 USM is great. However, remember there will be a 1.6x crop factor, so you're going to end up with something nearer an 85mm lens.
    Last edited by pascalbrown; 2009 September 9th at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by spideralex90 View Post
    Link to the video? I see nothing about a RobGailth, is it this video: ........Canon EOS 7D (240fps) Super slow motion Post Processesing test on Vimeo[/url]
    This is definitely the video. RobGailth was the one who originally shot this video (I forgot the original link). It was one of the forum members over at DVXUser who downloaded it and transformed it to 240fps. I think it looks like an authentic 240fps video.

EDIT: By the way, the original file straight froom the camera looked super sharp. So don't judge the quality by this lower res version.
    Last edited by Ian-T; 2009 September 9th at 10:31.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

I can't find any stored in Switzerland showing a price of 1699 CHF
    Hi, no way you will find that price, that would be even cheaper than USA!. You are looking at around 2000 swiss francs that is about £1200.

Best,
    Cris

PD. just go to google.ch and search

The lack of jello, high data rate and 24p is why this is going to be a big seller over the 5Dll.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/6487566"]Perya (Town Fair) - a Canon 7D Short on Vimeo[/ame]
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

That's looks really nice! don't think I need anything better than that!
    any ideas on what lens he used..

Best,
    C

The film it feels that it was shot with default color modes, which is the digicam look: over-saturated, contrasty look. I wished he had either shot this to at least "neutral" color setting, or if he did, to not have punched the image so much. Feels a bit artificial.

Also, he exported at 1440x1080 instead of either full 1080p or 720p, this won't look right on my PS3 when I will try to watch it earlier on TV, and a re-encoding will lose a lot of additionally quality.

Other than that, it's great.

My one month old 5DMII's on craigslist (first offer: $2000, lol) I won't be getting a 7D.

I'm not going to buy into another 11.5 month product cycle.

Canon will never get my business again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Why?

I think the 7D is pretty sweet, it would make a great counterpart to my 5D2. Since I am not a 24P guy I'm not interested in another cam until Canon comes out with a constant focus in video like the GH1 and a flip out LCD. Or Scarlet if it ever comes out lol.

I was already thinking about getting a 5d and since the 7d announcement, it might make the 5dmk2s cheaper to get. As a photographer as well as a video guy the full frame of the 5d is a big draw. I think I will wait till November-ish for the dust to settle and pick up the cheaper camera.

It is tough though. Hypothetically if they were the same price what is better, more video control or better still images... hard to say.

As for lenses which is able to get good lenses at a more affordable price? The 5d right since it can use old photo lenses ?

That Perya video was really nice.

It did not seem over saturated to me, I think people who live farther to north think that color saturation doesn't change from location to location. I live in south Florida and the amount of light we get here calls for some very vibrant colors- more light means more colors, right?

Lucasberg, saw your video was highlighted on the vimeo mainpage... good job!

As for the 7D, looking at stuff like Dublin's People and that Fair video I'm getting quite impressed. The low-light is as good as anything I've seen and the vast amounts of glass (sans any major adapters) is a really big boon in favour of the 7D over the GH1 for me... No pulldown removal is awesome, too.

I kind of wish the 5DmkII had all the framerates of reduced rolling shutter of the 7D (FF still has a look all it's own in both video and stills), but not being a stills-guy I just can't see myself spending the additional dollars even if it the 5DmkII had all of the 7D's strengths.

I also think a lot of people who are buying the 7D are those that are using it as a stopgap until RED answers the call or Canon launches a FF or APS-C VIDEO camera. My only concern with scarlet/red at this point (aside from the cost of the S35 version) is the doubled up conversion time of having to load a raw clip into REDalert/REDscience/etc...it's like a pulldown removal step, but takes 10x longer. I was doing tests (to see the lattitude of r3draw clips) and I didn't realize that you essentially HAVE to render everything at your selected ISO and whitebalance before it's editable (that said, I didn't use proxies, which I assume save you from that rendering process.) The rendering times were pretty massive and the only solution seems to be another $4000-5000 grand on REDspecific hardware (red rocket?).

In a round-about way, what I'm saying is what we've talked about all along; these HDSLRs (specifically the 7D) are getting awfully close to hitting the 'low/no-light--fast-turnaround--easily-pliable' mark, with enough quality to hold their own against real cameras. That's crazy.

-Rogue5-

Thanks Rogue5. It was pretty cool to have my video get lots of play. I had a video on Digg once and it got almost 50k in 2 days.

The 7D is going to make alot of awesome videos for people like the 5D2 did but alot more because of 24P that most people want and the price. I would get if I had extra money to have the best of both worlds,but even if I got a 7D I wouldn't make better videos than I do now. The 5D2 is way more than what I need to shoot something cool.

I love the workflow though like you said it's easy where Red's is a turn off. I download convert with cineform and edit. I need faster since I'm a father of 2 and work full time. When I shoot stuff I shooting for Sweeded quality lol. Really the only thing Scarlet has that I really want/need is 120fps.

I shoot lots of stills and actually make side money here and there with photography and I have just fallen in love with full frame. So I would not part with my 5D2 now. Until the 5d3 haha.
    Last edited by Lucasberg; 2009 September 9th at 14:09.

BTW , I am a camera test video junky. I love when new cams come out and I watch everything. I'm looking forward to the all videos that will be out soon with everyone testing out 24p on the 7D.

Is anyone else addicted to test videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    My one month old 5DMII's on craigslist (first offer: $2000, lol) I won't be getting a 7D.
    I'm not going to buy into another 11.5 month product cycle.
    I am pretty sure you will get a 7D. And besides, no one told you to buy the 5D if it didn't do what you needed.

You know, I needed a camera to replace my HV20 for over 2 years now (a few months since I got the HV20, I was hitting limitations with it all the time). And yet, I stirred clear from buying a camera that doesn't do what I needed.

I was THAT close to getting a 5D-MkII, but the 30p limitation on frame rate was a no-go for me. For $3000, I needed additional frame rates. If the 5D had a price point at that of the 7D's today, I would have gone for it. But since it was more expensive and it didn't do the things I considered "basics, absolutely must-have before trigger a purchase", I DIDN'T buy it.

So some of the people on this forum, and mostly on the Cinema5D.com forum who are unhappy about Canon going forward with technology, they should just become responsible of their actions. You bought a camera, either stick with it, or sell it and get one that does things better. If the 5D did not do what you needed, then you should have never bought it.

I can tell you something else too. Since I am a tech reviewer by trade, my closet in my office ("lab") is full of gadgets that I am supposed to review, or I had reviewed in the past. While I have access to a lot of products, when it comes to actually having to buy something with my own pocket, I think about it A LOT. I don't spend money just for the thrill of the 10 minutes enthusiasm over a new toy. If a product doesn't do 99% of what I need, then I simply don't buy it. That's why I've waited for two years to replace my HV20 for a product that's logically priced (like the 7D is), instead of moving to the HV30, then selling that, buying the HF-S10, then selling that, and getting a 5D, and then selling that and getting a 7D. I could have done so, you know, I DID want the cameras I mentioning above and had wet dreams about them! But I stick to my guns. I am never buying products that are only a small incremental update over my previous product (at a similar price point that is).

The 7D is a huge update over my HV20, for a similar price to the HV20 (it cost $1300 when it first came out, if you remember). It does all the "basics" almost perfectly, so it makes sense to go for it. And I've waited for it. Very patiently (or not). Sure, it still has no audio gain control, zebra, and live HDMI, but I guess I can live with it (again, for the price).

The point is, you can't blame Canon for updating their roster. You can only blame yourself for not knowing how to use the capitalistic system correctly, to your advantage.
    Last edited by Eugenia Loli-Queru; 2009 September 9th at 15:14.

I haven't been a big fan at all about using DSLR's for film or video functions. But for the specs, the price, and most importantly the end result the 7D has, its well worth it. Some people are fretting over the APS-C sized sensor, its not bad at all. They are still great in low light and its the equivalent of 35mm film, I don't see any problems there. Ultimately its a tool to get the job done.

I actually like that there will be a deeper DOF than a full frame. Seems to me that the FF can be a bit too much at times. Only downside of the APS-C sensor is the crop factor.
    Human reason left to itself can neither preserve morals nor give duration to a free government. Noah Webster

Well….in regards to the crop factor, it’s a lot less than what you would get with a GH-1 (though I could have lived with that also).

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
    The point is, you can't blame Canon for updating their roster. You can only blame yourself for not knowing how to use the capitalistic system correctly, to your advantage.
    Agreed. Buy a camera for what it can do NOW, not what you think it will be updated to LATER. Technology moves fast these days. Most gear is outdated/superceded within a year of its release.
    Last edited by Boz; 2009 September 9th at 15:58. Reason: added quote for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    Well….in regards to the crop factor, it’s a lot less than what you would get with a GH-1 (though I could have lived with that also).
    Indeed. I can live with the crop no problem. I don't think I could have managed the GH-1 so well, almost every lens would be a telephoto.
    Human reason left to itself can neither preserve morals nor give duration to a free government. Noah Webster

Quote Originally Posted by pascalbrown View Post
    Spidealex; Sorry to be a pedant, but I think you should change your video to the youtube version. The one on vimeo has simply been ripped from youtube and reposted on vimeo. It's better to link to the original video on youtube.
    It's not my video, i was trying to find one someone posted about earlier, but they didn't post a link, they just said it was from vimeo.

I agree with Eugenia. This camera looks like it's the one indie filmmakers have been waiting for. I look forward to downloading everyone's clips!

Quote Originally Posted by spideralex90 View Post
    It's not my video, i was trying to find one someone posted about earlier, but they didn't post a link, they just said it was from vimeo.
    That was me; the original video (the raw one straight out of the cam) was from Rob Galibrath's site/review.

The guy on youtube/vimeo took it and stretched it from 720p60fps, to 720p240fps using twixtor and added antialiasing to get rid of some of the jaggies. I just want to know how to use twixtor or an equivilant method (can you get it for FCP/apple?) It looks sooo friggen good; every time I've tried to use pixelmotion/mapping or whatever, it goes all wonky and gooey (unless I used the 60i to 60p to 24p/60% method). I'm hoping that with 60 full frames, slomo programs will have a much easier time slowing stuff down (and by that example, 10% of the original speed seems quite awesome.)

Actually, Lucasberg, do you know how to extract that slow of footage from 60p? You're still pretty much into highspeed/timewarped video right?

-Rogue5-