Thread: Anything of value in a .cpi file?

Question Anything of value in a .cpi file?

I am using Sony VMS, and I transfer just the .mts files to my computer using Windows and work on them from there. What is in the .cpi files that I might be missing? I gather that using ImageMixer to transfer the files combines the info in the .cpi files with the .mts files to create the .m2ts, but what does a.m2ts have that a .mts doesn't? And is there any reason to keep the .cpi files? Or any reason that using ImageMixer is 'better' than just copying the files? Or does ImageMixer just add another step to the workflow that doesn't add much value?

I assume you have an AVCHD camera, correct?

The .cpi files are only necessary for BD playback. The video and audio is stored in the mts/m2ts (Transport Stream) files. MTS and m2ts are the same 192 byte packet Transport Stream containers. You can just change the extension to either or..............

I don't own an AVCHD camera so I know nothing about the s/w that comes with it.
    There is no such thing as "Idiot-Proof".........a good Idiot will get around that every time.

Yes, it is an AVCHD (HG21). I think that DVD Architect can render to BD from just the .mts or from the output of Vegas, so it doesn't look like the .cpi files are needed unless you want to burn a DVD straight from the camera (or put the SDHC card straight into a BD playback device). So there is nothing in them that would be missed if I didn't keep them? Is there any date/time stamp info, exposure setting info, or anything that couldn't be re-created from just the .mts? Surely, the ImageMixer software must do SOMEthing with whatever is in the .cpi when it copies from the camera to the computer, otherwise it is an awful lot of software for just a copy function.

cpi (clip info) contains various information on the clip (time, date... etc). It's only needed if you plan on playing back directly from the cam, or transferring directly to disk.

The time/date however will show up in windows explorer IF you drag the mts DIRECTLY from the cam onto the hard drive WITHOUT going through image mixer. I use this time/date incidentally to create a subtitle file (that can be turned on/off with the subtitle button on the remote) on my final disk output

Newbie Member

can u ppl please help me out..!!

does the .cpi format contain the encrypted form of our actual video of .mts format..??
    some of my videos are corrupted due to human fault in my handycam i do contain .cpi files of those corrupted files!!
    can i retrieve the actual lost videos from their .cpi format files..????

pleaseeeeeeeeeeee help me i have lost the most important videos in my collection please :'(

If you have trashed your mts files, then the videos are gone forever.

It may be possible to resurrect them with a disk utility, provided that you have not recorded anything new on the disk after trashing the mts files.