Thread: Who invented 24P

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

Default Who invented 24P

http://www.filmlook.com/news/06summer.pdf
    http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=5&gl=us
    http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...1&DISPLAY=DESC

June 2006: Canon U.S.A./Japan is the latest camera manufacturer to sign a license agreement from 24P, LLC for technology patents covering image capture at 24 progressive frames per second (24p) to give the appearance of film origination.

Grass Valley (Thomson), Sony and Matsumamamamaa (Panasonic) have all taken licenses from Filmlook Inc./24P, LLC for their 24p progressive frame cameras. The company, owned by Faber, is currently negotiating with Arriflex and Ikegami, Faber said, and other licensing agreements are being aggressively pursued. 24P, LLC is the assignee of the Faber patent.
    TV companies were doing film-to-video telecine for decades but golly, acquiring 24p directly with a camera is such a novel thing. A real freaking scientific breakthrough. They let this guy to patent it, and now he collects payments from Canon, Sony and the likes for that.

Ah yes, the dreaded "Submarine Patent". There are other patents like this in other fields that surface to screw over real inventors.

The fact this guy was able to patent "24p" is miraculous. It shows the obvious lack of due diligence at the Patent Office.

Valued Member

Thats so ridiculous. Its like patenting the use of 8 bits to form a byte. Or rev'ing a wankel rotary engine to 6000rpm. You're not allowed to create something that runs 24 frames a second of images without paying this company money. Seriously just ditch 24p and move to 25p.
    Last edited by Assault; 2008 November 13th at 05:48.

Insane indeed.

I do know of some other such patents, and they are equally insane.

You said it well, lord: " lack of due diligence at the Patent Office"
    Douchebags I say.

I wonder if they already sent a cease and desist order to RED?

could this be the reason we have "24F" on the XHA1 and 24p-in-a-60i-stream on the HV20/30?

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

Quote Originally Posted by SpoilerWarning View Post
    could this be the reason we have "24F" on the XHA1 and 24p-in-a-60i-stream on the HV20/30?
    No. Firstly, the patent covers virtual telecine. Second, the A1 was released at about the same time Canon bought a license to "24p" from this guy. More likely, "F" is because of interlaced sensors. But what do I know.

Legend

It's interesting that big companies prefer to buy a licence rather than get the patent over turned in court.

These people obviously have to set their licence fees carefully to make the latter unattractive. Or else have very good lawyers!

Cheers,
    David.

Yeah. They are Leaches. Parasites. Sucking just enough blood that the host doesn't mind.

Maybe Red doesn't need to get a license because they do true 24p I-Frame recording to disk and Flash. I didn't read the patent too closely. I could be that it only covers a "virtual telecine" type recording.

Default Soon at an end

Hey I had the "pleasure" of working at this guy's small edit facility a few years ago and I know that this patent is running out. His facility is amateur hour, but he keeps it running because of the money from this patent. He spent most of his time trying to maintain his deathgrip on the big 3. And it is a fact that the FX 1 was 24f because they were trying to work around the patent.