Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: easy to build DIY steadicam?

Default He's a member here

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
    Don't know if you guys have seen this diy...
    That is Wsclater who has been contributing to this thread... great stuff!

Be well,
    Jigme
    More equipment than talent

i just read thru this entire post. while i'll consider several of these rigs for the future, i;m about to head out into the world with just a lightweight backpack and no steadycam device i've seen is small enough to travel with. until i cam across this man and his "Zero-cost Steadicam!"! check him out on youtube: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aPbwcqquk"]YouTube - Zero-cost Steadicam![/ame]

s'what i'll do for now. brilliant!

Newbie Member

Default Technique or balance weight question

Hi all. I'm new to the group and have a question. I built a version of the steadicam most similar to the one built by chiefroastbeef on page 4 of this thread. I used the Cullman Magnesit head and such.
    The problem I'm running in to is when I walk I get sideways bobbing back and forth. The up and down motion is pretty steady.
    What I'm trying to determine is if I have not developed the technique or if I have a weight balance problem.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Wow, Elbo your steadycam looks pretty awesome.

I see you've made 4 versions...I'm thinking of tackling a DIY steadycam project soon...though it looks like some of the items in the thread are pretty old (broken links).

Can anyone list the items for the kfleung/elbo v4 with links? It seems like it's really just made up of 4 core components (or am I missing something).

Also anyone have footage of their kfleung version in action?

I've started making a DIY steadycam, Glidecam style.

I plan to make it using the minimum amount of tools possible, so that others can easily replicate it.

I'm going to be making it all out of aluminium so it should be light enough, just trying to figure out a way to make an adjustable stage but i have a plan.

Might post a small guide to how i made it on here.

Yeah, I'm really interested in the version that everyone was working on in this thread since it seems pretty compact and can fold up etc.

I'd like to have a portable version that I can carry around, take out and use if need be, or leave in my backpack if I don't need it :-)

I am trying to build a glide cam style steady cam.
    I bought myself a large ball bearing with a 35mm inner diameter, but it has far too much drag, I think it might be because its a sealed bearing and the grease may be slowing it, does anyone know what kinds of bearings provide the least drag?

Well - I got my flash bracket stabilizer completed, balanced and working. My test shots show some rocking from side to side - so there is a definite learning curve to walking with one of these things.
    Cheers,
    Hal
    "Today's headlines are just whispers of history."

Quote Originally Posted by sirjoe View Post
    I am trying to build a glide cam style steady cam.
    I bought myself a large ball bearing with a 35mm inner diameter, but it has far too much drag, I think it might be because its a sealed bearing and the grease may be slowing it, does anyone know what kinds of bearings provide the least drag?
    I used roller blade wheel bearings. You pick up used roller blades at Goodwill for about $10 and it will give you two bearings per wheel - 16 in all and they work great in mine:

IMG_2139.JPG

BTW, I thank everyone for the instructions in this thread for the Merlin type which I have started

Finally finished my version:

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshoff View Post
    Finally finished my version:

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG
    how long did it take you ???

looks good...any footage????

After the parts came only took about 10 mins to make the bar for the weights. Just had some wheels laying around as the weights but will come up with something better soon as I visit the hardware store. No footage but was practicing and it works as good as my DIY glidecam but much more compact and unobtrusive. Stuck the legs of the mini tripod in a handlebar grip I had laying around, fit perfectly. Also it is much easier to balance and setup than the glidecam type as the weight/extension bar on the bottom can just be pushed up or down and to either side to adjust the balance.

I was thinking of making a simple weighted gyroscope on the bottom out of a small motor and some batteries, not sure what that would do and if that would help a lot or not?

BTW here are some earlier tests of my glidecam type stabilizer:
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/5858149"]Stabilizer test on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/5750319"]Equipment tests on Vimeo[/ame]
    Last edited by Fleshoff; 2009 September 18th at 02:02.

Newbie Member

Hi, I just joined this forum to post this question:

I just purchased the same bracket that everyone is using. I wanted to affix the parts to this bracket but could not figure out how to get a 1/4" 20 bolt through the narrower bracket without drilling a larger hole through a section of it effectively widening it. Did anyone find a bolt that would allow you to do this or have you all widened the space? If so where can I find such a bolt. Would this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...crew_15mm.html work and somehow unscrew?

On the end of each slot there is a part that is a little wider than the slot itself, no widening necessary.
    Last edited by Fleshoff; 2009 September 18th at 19:25.

Hey all-

Thinking about building this same Steadicam and wanted to verify this was the same U-Shaped Bracket since all the links in the thread aren't viewable anymore. Have they always been about $50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/U-Shape-Flash-Br...item5190142d90

Thanks,
    Matt

SturdyCam.

Forum Mogul

it looks neat, but it didn't work very well.

if you notice him moving it around, the thing was always pointing downwards, the gimbal is pointing towards the front too, instead of being directly under the camera.

I'm not sold on it. The camera seemed to move with the handle more than wanting to stay upright and straight.

Perhaps it just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by toucanlam View Post
    Has anyone tried to build this steadicam?
    http://vimeo.com/1285705

Newbie Member

I think the problem with his rig was only the ball head and the counter-weight.

1. I use a traxxas u joint on my current DIY "merlin" and it works great.

2. The setup shown in the video above (by fleshof) looks a little bottom heavy.

3. You need a weight at the front too. Just look at a Merlin.

I'll post my results soon. Need to get the U bracket first.

Newbie Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Elbo View Post
    The only thing is usually the gimbal's are really loose, arcade controller's usually have a spring mechanism...
    Whow.... What's with the misused apostrophes there?
    Last edited by MaxxFordham; 2011 April 5th at 19:01.