PDA

View Full Version : 1910's Silent Film Look

mbamber
2007 December 8th, 02:19
http://www.vimeo.com/422295

How can I achieve the look better in vegas??

Any help appreciated. THanks

-Marshall

ESTEBEVERDE
2007 December 8th, 02:35
try removing some frames to emulate a slower frame rate that is a bit more jittery

Worley
2007 December 8th, 04:10
I think old old old films actually ran at 18fps, so change the undersample rate from 30, 25, or 24 (whichever is appropriate) until it reads 18fps and change from Smart Resample to Disable Resample.

These settings can be found by right-clicking the clip on the timeline and then selecting Properties.

This will give your film that jerky, lost frame look that is typical of silent films.

If yo have lots of clips to apply this too, you can do it very quickly. Apply the effect to one clip, then copy that clip. Select all the other clips, right-click and select Paste Event Attributes. ALL effects from the first clip will be applied to the others.

w.pasman
2007 December 8th, 05:47
Also the scratches, particularly the vertical lines, are way too sharp to be 'authentic'.

Maybe you could throw in some sepia, not sure whether B/W film is actually perfectly gray.

Finally I don't think you should put synthesizer music under a silent movie ;-)

Worley
2007 December 8th, 06:28
Oh, and increase the contrast.

mbamber
2007 December 8th, 07:01
I think I might have to try After Effects because the vegas "film effects" are pretty limited. Like you said the lines are to straight. I've seen other people do the same lines using AE, and it looked way more realistic.

I'm just trying to learn how to use all this stuff (new 35mm adapter, Vegas 8 pro)

another: http://www.vimeo.com/422557

Its my roomate haha

Worley
2007 December 8th, 09:39
Keep the flickering, but get rid of the lines. Increase the contrast and use the method I outlined above for creating the jerky look.

ESTEBEVERDE
2007 December 8th, 17:57
Ummmm dude.... are you sporting a "Hitler" mustache in that clip? :hv20-smilie02:

mbamber
2007 December 8th, 18:06
Ummmm dude.... are you sporting a "Hitler" mustache in that clip? :hv20-smilie02:

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt notice that till you pointed that out and I watched it again....

I guess the shadow gave him the hitler stache...funny

ESTEBEVERDE
2007 December 8th, 23:41
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt notice that till you pointed that out and I watched it again....

I guess the shadow gave him the hitler stache...funny

:hv20-smilie70:

Ian-T
2007 December 8th, 23:48
LOL...that's twisted...

Worley
2007 December 9th, 04:27
OK, I have posted some footage with my attempt at creating an old film effect. It is at http://www.vimeo.com/424075

"This is my attempt at creating an old film effect. The footage was shot with a DIY vibrating 35mm adapter (anyone want to buy one?!). It is a response to vimeo.com/422557.

"Using Sony Vegas Pro 8, the footage was under-sampled to 18fps with resampling disabled. It was then desaturated, the brightness and contrast adjusted, and then film effects applied."

transducr
2007 December 11th, 10:24
Maybe it's just me, but most of the time what ruins the "film-look" for me in most of these clips (in this thread or otherwise) is when the whites get blown out. It just starts to look a lot like video to me then. I mean I understand getting it a bit more 'contrasty,' but...

The rabbit in Worley's post looked about closest to me in this regard.

I think the original poster should sit down and watch some old silents and determine what realy makes them 'look like silents' for himself.

The new restorations of "Battleship Potemkin" and "Metropolis" are fantastic. Or even the latest DVD release of John Ford's "Stagecoach" might be a good starting point for this kind of 'look.' (Although it is, of course, a talkie.)

I also kind of think that HD is a bit too clear to adequately simulate those old black and white emulsions. Maybe grunge it up a little more somehow (aside from fake dust'n'scratches)? Maybe more noise?

Lastly, I suppose this should be obvious, but be conscious of what you're 'filming.' Modern objects, clothes and hairstyles tend to distract from an old-timey look no matter how technically close you get. Anachronism is bad if you want someone to come along for the ride you're trying to take them on.

Kyser
2007 December 11th, 10:36
Yes, I think it is what is in the picture that takes you out of it. The "look" is pretty good though guys. Very nice.

Mike

Worley
2007 December 11th, 10:58
Maybe it's just me, but most of the time what ruins the "film-look" for me in most of these clips (in this thread or otherwise) is when the whites get blown out. It just starts to look a lot like video to me then. I mean I understand getting it a bit more 'contrasty,' but...

The rabbit in Worley's post looked about closest to me in this regard.

It's very difficult to get the contrast right without the blowouts. I know mine too blown out, but I was concentrating on the blacks rather than the whites. I guess it's not so much the contrast as the lack of greys that make old film look old (costume and architecture aside).

The rabbit was recorded in low light; the entire sequence was shot on SD, not HDV.