PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Takeoff

Chodite
2007 November 30th, 23:20
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9994/picture3tn6.png

Talk about good timing!
I was driving home this afternoon and followed signs to a small airport in hopes I'd catch a plane or two landing.

As I pulled in, I saw no one there. It was empty. Just a bunch of single engine planes sitting around.

Then some guy waves me down, thinking I worked there and asked, "Hey I just filled my plane up with gas but can't find anyone to pay for it. How much do I owe?"

I told him I had no idea since I don't work there but asked if he was taking off and if so, could I film him? He was actually stoked about it and handed me his card and asked if I could email him a link. He lives in southern Maryland (I was in northeast MD) and told me, "It takes almost 3 hours to drive home, this way only takes 25 minutes!"

I wish I had a plane.
Enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/410770

Download:
http://hv20.info/yopu/Prepare_for_Takeoff.mov

(Trimmed/exported with iMovie '08. No actual editing)

Jessica
2007 December 1st, 00:38
Nice takeoff and nice weather! :) Nice shooting too!

..and yes, it would be very nice to have a plane. WITH a pilot. ;)

Terfyn
2007 December 1st, 11:29
Very nice piece of film. I particularly liked the sunset light and the shadows. The final 10 seconds was the best bit for me.
Just a hint. When following a moving subject ( the aeroplane taxiing) try to give the subject "headroom" or "looking room", this means let the camera lead the subject across the shot.

Chodite
2007 December 1st, 18:09
Thanks for the tip.
And btw, I found that iMovie '08 BUTCHERS the exporting of my HD video!

Looks like I need to teach myself how to use other software.

I've tried Final Cut HD Express (Mac) and Vegas 8.0 (WinXP) in the last 24 hours and it all seems so overwhelming.

iodizedfate
2007 December 2nd, 04:28
Wow that take off was awesome. I liked the intro shot that you did but it could have used a little fine tuning. I don't know if it was the mode you shot in or your tripod or what but your pan seemed like it could have been i bit smoother. Other than that and Terfyn's suggestion I really really liked the take off, you did a fantastic job with framing and controlling your zoom. Keep up the good work!

*edit*
watching it again i realize that my computer sucks and it can't handle the high def version that well so my whole pan argument is moot. Man I need a new PC :(

Goose
2007 December 2nd, 09:33
great job - lovely colours, well exposed.

Timay
2007 December 2nd, 11:37
I wonder if the 'jumpy' panning is due to being on a tripod and having OIS on? I noticed the jumpiness here and my computer's video card is up to snuff.

On another subject, you might have a look at Pinnacle Studio for easier editing. An easier interface than FCP, Vegas, Premiere, etc., with the added benefit of it being around a hundred bux or so.

Tim

Chodite
2007 December 2nd, 11:43
I wonder if the 'jumpy' panning is due to being on a tripod and having OIS on? I noticed the jumpiness here and my computer's video card is up to snuff.

On another subject, you might have a look at Pinnacle Studio for easier editing. An easier interface than FCP, Vegas, Premiere, etc., with the added benefit of it being around a hundred bux or so.

Tim

I'm not sure what OIS is, but I can tell you that it was only my 2nd time using a tripod. Calling me a noob would be an understatement :)

I'll check out Pinnacle Studio. Thanks for the tip!

Goose
2007 December 2nd, 12:09
vimeo can be jumpy if your PC is not fast. Perhaps uploading to HV20.com would be better?

Chodite
2007 December 2nd, 13:19
vimeo can be jumpy if your PC is not fast. Perhaps uploading to HV20.com would be better?

Here ya go:

http://hv20.info/yopu/Prepare_for_Takeoff.mov

Goose
2007 December 2nd, 14:37
looks better - cheers

w.pasman
2007 December 4th, 05:07
You can also download the 'original' from Vimeo and play it with quicktime. Vimeo has low frame rates that cause the shakes

Goose
2007 December 4th, 07:54
Vimeo recompresses the video too :(

Terfyn
2007 December 5th, 00:27
OIS is the optical image stabiliser. It tries to reduce camera shake for hand held shots. So for a Pan on a tripod, it should be switched off. (Find in "Camera Setup" in Record Menu)
I am a Pinnacle Studio 11+ user too. It is a good, easy to use NLE with plenty of choices for uploading video to the web.