PDA

View Full Version : Driving With My HV20--- "The Drive"

Ian-T
2007 November 9th, 22:16
This is a short clip I made recently while driving around Brevard and Orange county (Florida). I thought I would put something together for newbies or anyone to see that the HV20 is very capable of capturing some decent driving videos. The footage is 720p and is compressed a bit ...but the quality is still there. The video is not perfect but I think you will get the point.

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery2/P3U_videos/Ian-T/THE+DRIVE+_POST_.wmv.html

Settings:
Cinemode
24p---1/48 shutter (during both day and night shots)
I crushed the blacks quite a bit in post and played with the Hue.
I think maybe next time I will try using the OIS.

I also composed the music.

Enjoy.

digvid
2007 November 10th, 00:09
Nice!!! Great idea with the tripod in the cupholder. Enjoyed the music. great shots of you. driving.

OK you have inspired me I have to go out out and do an ode to LA freeways. I was driving through downtown on the 110 last night with the fog and was thinking I really needed to get some footage.

Fletch78
2007 November 10th, 04:53
Very nice, Ian-T, I like it a lot! Moody and relaxing (not only the music). Rolling shutter "effects" are almost non-existant and so minimal they don't harm the footage at all. I really wonder what others are doing to get so bad results.

I recently shot a driving video (without filming myself, though) in my holiday in Sicily (my father's birthplace). Anyone interested, if I edit it a little and put in some music?

I'm just thinking: wouldn't it be nice and interesting, if as many members here as possible showed us their city/country, filmed with our beloved HV20? Just an idea... :hv20-smilie03:

Rollinhand
2007 November 10th, 06:16
Awesome little clip! I love the night shot stuff, looks very nice.
Oh and the fact that you can see the surroundings bouncing off the hood also adds a nice flare to the clip!

I have try this myself, problem is I got no car. :--p
Music was nice too btw, cool mellow piece! Good job on that.

I recently shot a driving video (without filming myself, though) in my holiday in Sicily (my father's birthplace). Anyone interested, if I edit it a little and put in some music?

I'm just thinking: wouldn't it be nice and interesting, if as many members here as possible showed us their city/country, filmed with our beloved HV20? Just an idea...
Absolutly that's is a good idea and yes please post that footage if you get around to it!

Laters.

jmalmsten
2007 November 10th, 11:00
Niiiiice... You have finally convinced me on one question I have been thinking about for as long as I have been thinking about this cam... Can it replicate the look of 24?

answer: Yes!

After watching both season 5 and 6 of the series I've been noticing how sharp it looks in 720p (yeah I know, it's shot on super35 and post on 2K...). And looking at many other stuff shot with the HV20, including the all famous rain-clip that probably sold more cameras than any real commercial by Canon;), and they had some kind of softness to them... even my own footage has some softness to it... but seeing this... man, wow, now I know it's a fault on my part... the cam CAN do filmlook with only a swing of "crushing the blacks" (funny how racist that phrase sounds after watching the clip at hand;)).

And really... this is the closest thing to the magic holy grail "Filmlook". I'm just so happy to see something that resembles film that doesn't have that annoyingly blurry image (I know 35mm adapters CAN give nice images... I just have yet to see it used in anything really nice-looking beyond the super-blurry look).

And that suggestion to show off our cities through the eyes of HV20 in glorious HD sounds really interesting...:)

Ian-T
2007 November 10th, 12:09
Nice!!! Great idea with the tripod in the cupholder. Enjoyed the music. great shots of you. driving.

OK you have inspired me I have to go out out and do an ode to LA freeways. I was driving through downtown on the 110 last night with the fog and was thinking I really needed to get some footage.Thanks for the compliment...in terma of getting LA trafic footage..go for it. I was there a couple years back...that is some serious traffic in LA. Be careful though..

Very nice, Ian-T, I like it a lot! Moody and relaxing (not only the music). Rolling shutter "effects" are almost non-existant and so minimal they don't harm the footage at all. I really wonder what others are doing to get so bad results.

I'm just thinking: wouldn't it be nice and interesting, if as many members here as possible showed us their city/country, filmed with our beloved HV20? Just an idea... :hv20-smilie03:Thanks Fletch. Man I think that's a great idea. Personally my favourite type of footage is driving footage. Normal videos are typically static or basically in one location ...but driving kind of takes the viewers on a voyage (as if you where actually there with the cameraman). Post your video if and when you get a chance.

Awesome little clip! I love the night shot stuff, looks very nice.
Oh and the fact that you can see the surroundings bouncing off the hood also adds a nice flare to the clip!

I have try this myself, problem is I got no car. :--p
Music was nice too btw, cool mellow piece! Good job on that.

Thanks Rollinhand. Those night shots where on International Drive in Orlando. Lot's of people from all over the world there everyday and everynight. I thik next time i will show more of that area because it has a lot of character of its own.

Niiiiice... You have finally convinced me on one question I have been thinking about for as long as I have been thinking about this cam... Can it replicate the look of 24?

answer: Yes!

After watching both season 5 and 6 of the series I've been noticing how sharp it looks in 720p (yeah I know, it's shot on super35 and post on 2K...). And looking at many other stuff shot with the HV20, including the all famous rain-clip that probably sold more cameras than any real commercial by Canon;), and they had some kind of softness to them... even my own footage has some softness to it... but seeing this... man, wow, now I know it's a fault on my part... the cam CAN do filmlook with only a swing of "crushing the blacks" (funny how racist that phrase sounds after watching the clip at hand;)).

And really... this is the closest thing to the magic holy grail "Filmlook". I'm just so happy to see something that resembles film that doesn't have that annoyingly blurry image (I know 35mm adapters CAN give nice images... I just have yet to see it used in anything really nice-looking beyond the super-blurry look).

And that suggestion to show off our cities through the eyes of HV20 in glorious HD sounds really interesting...:)Man...what a compliment...thanks. I think there is a lot one can do in post to mimick that show. With HDV you have so much more information to work with than SD. I know exactly what you mean in regards to that "annoying blurry image" that one gets with 35mm adapters. I have seen a few with some real nice sharp images....but for the most part the overall look is mostly blurry. When I did this piece what I did was downloaded some HD quality Hollywood trailers and put them on the timeline in Vegas. I tried hard to find some with similar scenes and then mimick the colors. I didn't come close...but my colors came out interesting enough to where I really liked it. This is the same exact approach I take when mixing music. The next thing you know after trying to mimick evreryone else you have developed your own style.

"Crushing the blacks"..LOL...my wife thinks I'm crazy cause I'm LMAO here in the next room...LOl
This is too funny.

strancali
2007 November 10th, 14:58
That is one clean footage! I don't have sound right now because I'm at a client's site but very nice Ian! I'll check it out again when i get home.

HalD
2007 November 10th, 15:31
Ian; Your shots and transitions are great. I love the music - tell us more about it - what software i(f any) did you use? Did you make the music track from loops, or did you play it on a synth? It really complemented to pictures.
Cheers

the_amo
2007 November 10th, 15:43
The camera can be seen reflected in the sunglasses xD

Ian-T
2007 November 10th, 16:50
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

@HalD -- in regards to the music ..I did that piece about 5 years ago (I think) but at the time I was using Steinberg Cubase software (PC) and am now using Nuendo (Cubase' big brother). It's a professional multitrack that basically does everything (mutitrack recorder for voice, instruments, internal and external midi capability, ability to incorporate cheap to expensive 3rd party plugs-ins for mixing to mastering...etc.). Back then (for this song) I used an external synthesizer (Korg X5DR) for all of the sounds. I played everything on my external midi controller keyboard which the computer basically sequenced everything. Once I captured everything in Cubase I mixed it and exported it as a 24bit wav file. From there I used my mastering software "Wavelab" (another Steinberg product) and touched it up.

@the_amo -- lol...yeah your right. I guess I could have rotoscoped it out...but.....ok..no excuses ..my bad.:-p

scottinva
2008 January 16th, 23:32
http://www.fortvir.net/gallery2/P3U_videos/Ian-T/THE+DRIVE+_POST_.wmv.html

Link does not work for me. "Forbidden"

jpc
2008 January 17th, 01:58
:hv20-smilie49:

Ian-T
2008 January 17th, 15:36
Sorry...the site is permanently down. I will upload at another location an let you know here.

electro
2008 February 7th, 14:52
can't wait to see it when it's up again, i was in Brevard county, FL on vacation recently getting some pretty awesome footage.

(Malabar rd, in palm bay)