PDA

View Full Version : More Macro

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 12:53
http://www.vimeo.com/373255

micro bug,fly, dandylions ? , a few eyes and a ball point pen.

Kyser
2007 November 6th, 12:59
This is awesome!

Are these a series of macro images put together? Or did you just shoot this?
Any additional lenses? Get back...

Mike

tcindie
2007 November 6th, 13:18
Who's eye is the one before the ballpoint pen? The iris looks like it's got something wrong with it. Of course, I'm not an eye doc or anything, but I've never seen that much texture in an iris before. Very cool footage though. I'm loving this camera more and more every time I see new well shot footage. :)

Actually, looking again I guess the blue eye has the same amount of texture it's just not as close of a shot. Hmm.. weird. Guess I've never seen an eye that close before. :D

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 13:19
Thanks,

I shot these yesterday after work in about 45 minutes and slapped them together in vegas. I use a crazy set up http://www.pbase.com/jra111/image/88516784/medium.jpg

Until I order some close up len's which may or may-not work better.

With this set up I can focus down to a micro bugs of a few mm's filling the frame.

Worley
2007 November 6th, 13:22
That is just TOO good. Absolutely fantastic. The eyes were especially interesting to me. It's not often you get to see a close up of an eye.

More more more!

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 13:25
Tc , it's my eye and I said the same thing. I have good vision so I hope Im good.

threadhanger
2007 November 6th, 14:24
The shot with the cat's eye was really nice. You should post a less compressed version here on HV20. All of those would make for some nice stock footage.

I have some similar type shots done with a cheap set of macro filters that I'll post this week. It never occured to me to shoot my own eye. The pupil in my right eye is actually misshapen like a football shape. I didn't even know until this year when I went to the optician.

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 16:58
Threadhanger , did the chep set work pretty good. I look forward to seeing some footage from you. You haven't posted anything in a while.

I have thought about trying to get some footage on some stock video sites. Anyone know of some good stock video sites?

It's hard to shoot your own eye at least for me . You look into the lens with your left eye then look at the lcd with your right but keeping your left still while checking focus with the right .

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 17:00
Thanks Worley

piano_jochen
2007 November 6th, 18:43
Hi lucasberg!

This footage really looks amazing. I think, you wont get any better with other macro lenses.
But I have a question regarding your setup: Where is the 35mm adapter? That lens looks like a very expensive SLR lens. But how did you mount it to your HV20?!

Cheers, Jochen

Michael Davis
2007 November 6th, 19:11
I'm also wondering that. Great job.

Lucasberg
2007 November 6th, 20:33
Thanks guys.

On this set up there is no 35mm adapter, it is just slapped up against the
180mm Macro SLR lens. Now the bad news for some reason it only works in the macro range. If you go any farther than a couple of feet it is just a blur. I have tried every lens I have and this one is the only one that works at all.

Even for macro it vignettes(spelling) zoomed all the way in and if I go to F8 the dark edges get bigger. My HDR-HC3 works great with it but it doesnt go to F8.

ESTEBEVERDE
2007 November 7th, 01:29
Thanks guys.

On this set up there is no 35mm adapter, it is just slapped up against the
180mm Macro SLR lens. Now the bad news for some reason it only works in the macro range. If you go any farther than a couple of feet it is just a blur. I have tried every lens I have and this one is the only one that works at all.

Even for macro it vignettes(spelling) zoomed all the way in and if I go to F8 the dark edges get bigger. My HDR-HC3 works great with it but it doesnt go to F8.

What make and model lens?

Lucasberg
2007 November 7th, 09:40
Its a Sigma 180mm F3.5 Macro http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/389299-USA/Sigma_105101_Telephoto_180mm_f_3_5_EX.html

It's crazy I bought it 2 1/2 years ago for $520 now it's $800.

w.pasman
2007 November 28th, 13:20
I read on vimeo that you also use a reversed 50mm lens.
Here I read that you use a 180mm lens.
I tried a reversed 35mm lens which also works great.

What do you think is the best approach?

Lucasberg
2007 November 28th, 16:18
Glad you tried it. I think that either way has a trade off. The 180mm lens (not reversed) gives me more working distance about 12 inches but it is real heavy . The reversed 50mm or 35mm gives you more magnification and is super light but the working distance is maybe 2 inches.

I would say the 180mm is the best set up but way more of a hassle.

I just bought a set of 58mm close up filters 4+-2+-1+ and they work pretty good but not as much magnification and have some red CA.

Post some video I would love to see what you got. It's dark when I get home from work so I guess Macro season is over for me.

Worley
2007 November 29th, 02:40
I'm going to reverse my lens and see what I come up with. How do you attach a reversed lens, though?

Lucasberg
2007 November 29th, 09:41
I used masking tape like this http://www.pbase.com/jra111/image/88133021

But I just bought a reversing ring but I have not filmed with it yet.

Worley
2007 November 29th, 09:50
Hmm.

I shall have to ban you for using a Sony camcorder.

Lucasberg
2007 November 29th, 14:19
I will update it with my new reversing ring picture on my HV20.

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 November 29th, 14:23
I got my reverse ring yesterday too, used it with a Canon lens. http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/11/28/a-new-rig/ I posted some macro shots on youtube too last night. Difficult to handle it btw, the focusing distance is less than an inch.

w.pasman
2007 November 29th, 14:55
Post some video I would love to see what you got.

Just did that. It's here

http://www.vimeo.com/408788

Worley
2007 November 29th, 15:01
Do yo have a link to the youtube videos?

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 November 29th, 16:19
Oh, it was linked from my blog's menu, which is linked above. Here's a direct link: http://www.youtube.com/EugeniaLoli It's just handheld, my first test shots. I looked around my house for bugs, couldn't find any. I need to clean up less it seems. :(

Lucasberg
2007 November 29th, 16:25
Im bugless as well right now.

Try puttung some sugar out side and get some ants maybe ?

Eugenia ,

Do you have a Canon DSLR too?

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 November 29th, 16:43
>Try puttung some sugar out side and get some ants maybe ?

Heh... I fought hard against ants in our previous house... :D However, some spiders are always welcome if they are willing to sign an image release contract. :)

>Do you have a Canon DSLR too?

My husband does. He has a 5D... along 14-15 more cameras and lots of lenses and gear... He is an engineer for Google's Android by day, prosumer photographer on the weekends. :)

I don't do much photography. I only use my Canon A700 for basic point and shooting.

luhps
2008 September 19th, 11:40
Newbie filmer here.
I like the macro stuff, and have been trying to set up a system.

please let me know if I've got this right
Essentially if i would like to have a focal range of more then an inch or two, i require a large Telephoto Macro lens of say 130mm to 200mm?

and what are the limitations? with the proper threading attachments could i essentially use any Canon Telephoto Macro lens? (or just build a rig to "prop" it against the front of the camera)

I like the one you got, and would love to use it, but its like 900 bucks, not sure i can afford that. trying to expand my options.