PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse video - feedback appreciated.

metaphors
2007 November 5th, 17:39
A video clip of a lighthouse in santa cruz, ca. I added all sounds in the post and experimented with some reverse motion on the surfers and color grading in post. The theme I was going for was to give a meditative feel, not sure if this worked.

Feedback and critisism appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.vimeo.com/371481

strancali
2007 November 5th, 19:02
Metaphors, I loved it. The music definately went with the footage. The only thing I would fix if it was me is I would remove the surfers scenes all together. That doesn't fit with the light house some how. Other than that, everything else is cool.

tcindie
2007 November 5th, 19:10
I agree too much of the surfers.. and that may well just be because it's so much in reverse.

metaphors
2007 November 7th, 02:55
Thanks Guys. Appreciate it.

veg
2007 November 7th, 03:56
Loved the shot around 3:50.
I was convinced the 'Light' house was gonna give us a flash. Shame:(

metaphors
2007 November 20th, 20:14
Loved the shot around 3:50.
I was convinced the 'Light' house was gonna give us a flash. Shame:(

Thanks. The last shot is actually taken in day time, its color graded to make it look like its night time.

paradoxbox
2007 December 3rd, 06:04
Where is the music from? I like the music.

I think that you may have missed the boat as far as getting a meditative feel. With the opening lighthouse shot combined with the creepy music and the "CIA" style font, I was expecting something dramatic to happen.

A very good video, I think you could take that kind of photography/editing in a dramatic direction and make it work well for you. It certainly worked in this film!

Just my 2

1 last bit... the audio of the waves was terribly grainy, not sure if that's a compression problem or if you used some kind of stock audio file. The movie would be better if the waves didn't sound so compressed.

metaphors
2007 December 3rd, 17:47
Where is the music from? I like the music.

I think that you may have missed the boat as far as getting a meditative feel. With the opening lighthouse shot combined with the creepy music and the "CIA" style font, I was expecting something dramatic to happen.

A very good video, I think you could take that kind of photography/editing in a dramatic direction and make it work well for you. It certainly worked in this film!

Just my 2

1 last bit... the audio of the waves was terribly grainy, not sure if that's a compression problem or if you used some kind of stock audio file. The movie would be better if the waves didn't sound so compressed.

The music is by Beth Quist available from magnatune.com. But I overlayed it with another sound track for the female voice and added few ambience sounds. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. You're right about the waves audio, its a stock audio file but not a high quality sample.

nosignalcomedy
2007 December 3rd, 17:59
Very Very good work! The colors look amazing!

Dominus
2007 December 3rd, 18:37
The techniques you used really added some great effect. From a visual perspective this video was inspiring.

I did find the sound seemed slightly distant when the images were very close to the lighthouse, didn't quite fit to me. Then again pehaps you were trying to un-nerve.

RogerB1
2007 December 3rd, 19:09
I loved the photography, the mood you capture, the music, everything about this. It is the kind of thing I would try to do. I do not think the music makes one thing something big is going to happpen. It just completes the mood. Very good job! Roger

nzo
2007 December 3rd, 20:23
I like this a lot. A great synthesis of image and sound. Lovely and moody Prasad.

John