PDA

View Full Version : Time-lapse Sunset at Halfmoon Bay with HV20

metaphors
2007 November 2nd, 16:10
I put my hv20 on a tripod for 15 mins and shot the sun setting over some dramatic clouds.. I was on top of a cliff and the wind was heavy which caused some undesired movements. But the video quality from this camera is great.

Check it out here ..
http://www.vimeo.com/361836

Lucasberg
2007 November 3rd, 12:05
That was a great one.

tcindie
2007 November 3rd, 13:10
So it's not really a time lapse, more of a significantly speed up shot? Time lapse is a series of stills taken at regular intervals, like one/minute or one/hour etc...

GoldChain
2007 November 3rd, 13:26
So it's not really a time lapse, more of a significantly speed up shot? Time lapse is a series of stills taken at regular intervals, like one/minute or one/hour etc...

Sappnin tcindie? (thanks for your input on the Rebel board).

Wouldn't significantly speeding up a shot be the same as time lapse. For instance if you speed up video 10x, you can still only have 30frames (60 fields)/sec, so since you can't playback the video at 300fps, you have to only take every 10th frame, which would be the same as only shooting a frame every 1/3 of a sec. (not a *large* interval like 1/min or 1/hour, but an interval nonetheless). The only issue with doing it that way is, say you wanted the equiv of shooting 1 frame per min (60 frames/hour or 2 sec of video represent 1 hour of time passage) that you'd have to shoot the entire hour of video and play it back at, say 30x speed, just to get that 2sec of video......... that's alot of wasted time and resources........

If I really wanted a time exposure of 1 frame per 1 minute or especially 1/hour, I'd just use my SLR camera for the images, then import them into the editing software. :hv20-smilie03:

Mike W.

metaphors
2007 November 3rd, 21:45
To clarify, I imported one frame out of every 10 frames from the video I shot. I agree with GoldChain's explaination, in concept this is the same as shooting 1 frame per time interval from a SLR camera, but only less efficient.

dilly323
2008 January 18th, 11:18
Hi Metaphors,

Could you explain how you imported 1 out of every 10 frames? Did you use Vegas?
Thanks
Dilly323