PDA

View Full Version : Macro test

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 01:37
For some reason I am into Macro stuff. I have shot a bunch of macro videos but this was my 1st with my HV20. Shot with an added slr lens.

http://vimeo.com/363151

threadhanger
2007 October 30th, 11:00
Nice. I didn't know you could reverse a 35mm lens like that. I just have some inexpensive macro filters.

Footage on vimeo looks very good. Looks like online youtube clones are getting better with their quality.

Even youtube seems to look less compressed lately.

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 11:10
These sites are getting better. Im thinking of not renewing my site and just go with the free sites this year.

Worley
2007 October 30th, 11:55
Fantastic!

HV@
2007 October 30th, 12:16
Cool footage man!!

I really like your stuph from the first time I saw your movies :)

What program do you use for editing and what settings do you use for uploading to Vimeo?

I shot some footage last weekend and hope to make a nice clip coming weekend if I find the time...

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 13:41
Thanks guys,

HV@ I use Vegas 7 and I render to a Mainconcept AVC custom template. 1280x720p - variable bit rate 8mb average and 10mb peak. I also bump the contrast 10%.

Ian-T
2007 October 30th, 14:33
Hey man...I was watching your other video with the dune buggy and was wondering how you mounted the cam. That has to be one of my favorite shots. That I assume was the HV20?

bluegrass
2007 October 30th, 14:55
Say Lucasberg, since you're into macros, I've always wanted to see what a mosquito looks like as it performs it's bite or whatever it does. Could you try and capture an example sometime? Does it suck a little blood or does it inject you with something?

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 15:01
Thanks Ian

Our dune buggy has a metal tab to mount a 3rd headlight in the front so I mounted a ballhead to that tab and just aimed it at us.

It was actually my HC3. Since getting my HV20 my HC3 Im making my stunt cam since I didnt want to sell it. I think that if the cam is hand held or moving alot the HC3 gives a better picture than the hv20. I dont know why but to my eyes it seems that way. More static shots the HV20 is supreme.

By the way I told my buddy that was with me what I wanted to do while driving and we shot it then I showed the video to the rest of my buddies in the trip after we got home and they were jealous.

Here is a longer cut if you haven't seen it of the buggy
http://lucasberg.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=27

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 15:03
Bluegrass that is an awesome idea , but it might be a while before they are back in my area.

threadhanger
2007 October 30th, 15:27
I hadn't seen the dune buggy video before. That was crystal clear. I think the HV20's rolling shutter wouldn't of been to compatible with that.

For some reason I kept thinking of the 1960's batman tv show. Now I'm jealous. I want to do a action clip that.

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 15:55
Ha that is totally Vintage Batman.

Rolling shutter , I have read all this stuff but maybe it is what I get with action stuff on the HV20. It almost seems like everything just goes fuzzy then when you stop it stops. I hiked a trail hand held with my HC3 and it was fine and veiwable, then I hiked on a different trip with the HV20 hand held and the footage was un-watchable. Even being careful to hold still the picture was blurry till you stop.

Is that rolling shutter ? I thought it was just slanting straight lines.

Ian-T
2007 October 30th, 16:27
Ha that is totally Vintage Batman.

Rolling shutter , I have read all this stuff but maybe it is what I get with action stuff on the HV20. It almost seems like everything just goes fuzzy then when you stop it stops. I hiked a trail hand held with my HC3 and it was fine and veiwable, then I hiked on a different trip with the HV20 hand held and the footage was un-watchable. Even being careful to hold still the picture was blurry till you stop.

Is that rolling shutter ? I thought it was just slanting straight lines.
Yeah that is the rolling shutter effect....

I just watched the full video....you guys are crazy Ha. That looked like too much fun...and yes it was crystal clear. The music kills me...cause it reminded me also of Batman...and I guess it is. It fit the action well...made it almost comedic.

It's strange...but with all of that bouncing around the video was excellent...then when you got on the straight pathway at the end I noticed some rolling shutter artifacts...not too too bad...but I would have thought it would be the other way around. I know the HC3 is also a single CMOS with rolling shutter...but it seems that the HV20's rolling shutter is more susceptible to low frequency vibrations than the HC3.

I believe the issue with the HV20 is more than just rolling shutter. There is something else going on because the HC3 has similar architecture but the image is more stable. I wonder if the HC3 has EIS instead of OIS. That could be the issue with the HV20 because it has OIS (which is supoposed to be better than EIS but maybe not with CMOS cams....but who knows).

Thanks for that video.

Worley
2007 October 30th, 17:01
HC3 has electronic image stabilization.

I read on another forum that the HV20 does not cope with high frequency vibration very well, but the entire HC series does cope well.

I would guess that the circuitry in the Sony cams processes the rolling shutter readout differently from the HV20.

Lucasberg
2007 October 30th, 17:59
I wish I could mash both cams together. What sucks is now I really know what is going on Im going to be pointing out rolling shutter all the time to myself . Im going to drive me crazy.

HV@
2007 October 30th, 18:40
Thanks guys,

HV@ I use Vegas 7 and I render to a Mainconcept AVC custom template. 1280x720p - variable bit rate 8mb average and 10mb peak. I also bump the contrast 10%.

Offtopic but thanks!

(this afternoon I bought Magix video deluxe 2008 plus... I think it's more easy than the other app's....)

You are my contact at vimeo so I hope to see more of your footage :hv20-smilie72:

Lucasberg
2007 October 31st, 12:49
HV@, I looked at that software to check ot out but itwas in a different languge.

HV@
2007 October 31st, 13:10
HV@, I looked at that software to check ot out but itwas in a different languge.

Thanks, I've just uploaded my first footage with this new software.
I dont know how to spell ths sport in English but it's like hunting ducks but than without the ducks :hv20-smilie110:

www.vimeo.com/364961

(I used to much compression I think but for the first time with the new editing program I'm happy :) )

Lucasberg
2007 October 31st, 15:04
I forget the differences but I think it's called Trap or Skeet shooting or Sporting clays. Looks good.

Worley
2007 October 31st, 15:18
Clay Pigeon Shooting is what we call it.

HV@
2007 November 1st, 14:36
Thanks for teaching me ;)
Never to old to update my vocabulaire :hv20-smilie70:

Terfyn
2007 November 1st, 14:39
Worley is a gentleman and a scholar!

Worley
2007 November 1st, 14:49
You're the first ever to say that. I'm so unfamiliar with such terms, I'm not sure if its a compliment or insult :hv20-smilie79:

Terfyn
2007 November 1st, 14:59
Clearly a compliment. Whats this about "Forum Mogul"? Do I have my weight measured in Gold Bars and (more important) do I have a Hareem?