PDA

View Full Version : Float at Snake river

wendxy
2007 September 29th, 09:38
Hi, here is my test footage on my new HV20 at Grant Teton National Park.

http://www.hv20.info/yopu/gtnp1.wmv

w

SmirkySmirker
2007 September 29th, 16:01
Stop Posting Wmvs

duketh
2007 September 29th, 19:25
Stop Posting Wmvs

is that cos ur a mac user?

SmirkySmirker
2007 September 29th, 23:33
Pretty much, and cause wmv is a crappy format. Windows media player for Mac exists but it takes about a minute to load and it slows down your computer really bad. Pretty lame.

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 30th, 03:41
SmirkySmirker, please stop that. WMV is the *only* HD format that Sony Vegas Movie Studio would export for "viewing pleasure" usage. It won't export divx, mpeg4-asp or h.264, so Vegas MS users are stuck with either WMV, or huge m2t files (for HD resolutions that is).

Besides, I have Macs too, and the WMV support for the Mac does not take a minute to start. It works fast enough. And if you don't like the WMV plugin for Quicktime, use VLC on your Mac. But please do not tell people to stop posting WMVs (which is also based on mpeg4, so your point is completely moot).

I smell that you have a problem with MS rather than WMVs, and if that's the case, this is not the right forum to spill poison about that.

threadhanger
2007 September 30th, 12:37
Exactly. I used to complain about all the .mov files, because I didn't want to install the Quicktime junk on my computer, so I got VLC and it works fine.

Ian-T
2007 September 30th, 14:44
Wow...the footage is just magnificent looking. I don't know if the music fit it though...it sounds like a Japanese Koto (I think that's what it's called) and also the shots needed to be a little more steady...but overall i liked the crispness of the shots...the location...and that opening shot with the panning..excellent up until you get to the shakiness.

I live in Florida...not a darn mountain in sight...so...I really appreciate this.

Edit: Then again that sounds like a banjo and harp playing together.

wendxy
2007 September 30th, 15:54
Wow...the footage is just magnificent looking. I don't know if the music fit it though...it sounds like a Japanese Koto (I think that's what it's called) and also the shots needed to be a little more steady...but overall i liked the crispness of the shots...the location...and that opening shot with the panning..excellent up until you get to the shakiness.

I live in Florida...not a darn mountain in sight...so...I really appreciate this.

Edit: Then again that sounds like a banjo and harp playing together.

Thanks for taking time to watch my footage.
The music is a Chinese music about a river.
The music instrument is called ZHENG. You can see a picture of this kind of instrument here: "http://www.jianxianginfo.com/oblog252/uploadfile/20051115112237322.gif".

Halsu
2007 September 30th, 17:36
SmirkySmirker, please stop that. WMV is the *only* HD format that Sony Vegas Movie Studio would export

I have full Vegas, and i can export avis and quicktimes with all installed codecs, including DivX etc. I guess movie studio different in this regard?

Anyway, to me wmv seems to be best compromise: 90% of users (or whatever the market share for windows is) can play the files back without installing anything.

Not so with DivX, Quicktime etc.

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 30th, 17:42
>i can export avis and quicktimes

The default AVI and QT files that Vegas exports are *huge* files, meant as intermediate formats, not for "user-oriented exporting" formats like h.264 and WMV are. To get DivX on the Vegas avi menu you need to manually install that encoder. Vegas Pro 8 can export h.264 HD, but Vegas Movie Studio can't (it only exports up to 480x272). For Vegas, traditionally, WMV is the format of preference for "user-oriented" purposes. But it does slowly changing to h.264, but it's not there yet.

Halsu
2007 September 30th, 17:47
Vegas Pro 8 can export h.264 HD, but Vegas Movie Studio can't (it only exports up to 480x272).

Okay, and thanks for the info - does this apply to DivX avis too?

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 30th, 17:56
No, after you manually install the DivX encoder, Vegas will let you export whatever resolution you want. But it's not immediately obvious for most people who simply choose from templates to export rather than choosing "custom".

Halsu
2007 September 30th, 18:29

Just saw it (it was quite slow to download for some reason). Very, very nice landscape there. Looks almost unreal. Could be something that could sell on a stock footage site.

Some of those moving shots look really three dimensional because of the movement. Sad that this part is a bit shaky - but understandable, considering that you probably shot it from a raft?

Ian-T
2007 September 30th, 19:08
The music is a Chinese music about a river.
The music instrument is called ZHENG. You can see a picture of this kind of instrument here: "http://www.jianxianginfo.com/oblog252/uploadfile/20051115112237322.gif".

Yes thanks for the pic. I am familiar with the instrument (didn't know the name of it). The song sounds familiar too...I know I've heard it before. Anyways...Halsu is right...the video is very three dimensional. Makes me wanna take a vacation. I assume you did no color correction in post?

By the way....the instrument reminds me of this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_(musical_instrument)

wendxy
2007 October 1st, 09:22
The static part was shot on a tripod. the moving part was shot from a raft. No color correction or any other effect was applied. The video was shot in auto mode.

A_Pickle
2007 October 1st, 13:30
This video rules.

A friend of mine was filming some nature scenes here in Cheyenne's Botanical Gardens over Sloan's Lake (Wyoming, hooah) with his Canon ZR80 SD camcorder. It's MiniDV, and pretty well leaves my Sony Handycam DCR TRV350 in the dust as far as video quality goes. Nevertheless, his video was somewhat comparable to yours in that there were trees and water around...

...and so seeing yours and his side-by-side REALLY showcased the quality of the HV20. That video MADE MY NIGHT when I saw it last night. I didn't register 'til this morning, but... man. I'm sold. I'm ordering my HV20 from Circuit City today. I mean... wow. My mind was blown. I'm pretty sure it still is. I couldn't tell the difference between reality and my computer screen.

Good video.

Pretty much, and cause wmv is a crappy format. Windows media player for Mac exists but it takes about a minute to load and it slows down your computer really bad. Pretty lame.

I feel inclined to note, it's much easier for the majority market share (PC's) to play HD .wmv's than it is for them to play HD .mov's.

According to Microsoft's recommended system requirements (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx#sysreq) for playing back 1080P HD .wmv's, you need only 512 MB of RAM, a 128 MB video card, and a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (or equivalent AMD) processor. Apple's spec (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/recommendations.html) for 1080P HD .mov's calls for twice the RAM at 1 GB, twice the CPU at a 3.0 GHz Pentium D (or equivalent AMD processor) and a 64 MB video card.

It just so happens that I own a Dell Dimension 8300 with a... 3.0 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM, with a 256 MB video card. While this is obviously above the recommended spec that Microsoft listed, it isn't terribly different, and in fact should've resulted in a little bit better performance on the QuickTime front. I tried both and... not surprisingly, I could play the 1080P WMVHD content, but I could NOT play the 1080P HDMOV content (it dropped frames like hell).