PDA

View Full Version : Young bird filmed w/ Canon HV20

africanmarty
2007 September 23rd, 02:20
This young bird was found abandoned in my backyard today,I think it was rejected by its parents :( it has a swelling or abscess on it right eye. Once I was finished filming its arent flew in, happily I left it, hoping it would be taken back... sadly that wasn't the case. RIP little bird.

Filmed with canon HDV HV20 - TV MODE @ 25p, editied in premier pro 2.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=prV0vUBFEpw

- Marty.

cmaikai
2007 September 23rd, 10:52
Cute little bird. Did the parents kill it? Poor bird. :(

jmorton
2007 September 23rd, 12:20

Birds can be heartless.

You might find this tale heartbreaking.

It was a cold drizzly overcast morning. A big black crow was chasing two small sparrows. They were diving and darting every which way. One of the sparrows abruptly landed on the damp sidewalk. I could tell it was just a youngster. The crow landed about two feet in front of it. The mother sparrow landed to the side and behind her tired child with an anxiety as if to say, "My poor baby. Why have you given up?"

Just then the big black crow stepped forward and snatched the little sparrow up in its beak. It tossed the small bird up into the air and caught it again in its beak with a forceful snap. The crow hopped twice and flew up into the air as the mother sparrow looked on helplessly.

The crow flew up and landed on the front-facing peak of the roof of the house. It placed the tiny sparrow under its foot and viciously ripped at its chest tearing out globbs of feathers. The crow then picked up the murdered sparrow and flew away with it into the cold bleak sky.

It all ended rather quickly. :hv20-smilie36:

JM

cmaikai
2007 September 23rd, 15:03
That's a sad story too! I didn't know crows ate other birds. :(

veg
2007 September 23rd, 15:36
...and Eagles eat crows!.

africanmarty
2007 September 23rd, 19:21

no, it died over night :(

africanmarty
2007 September 23rd, 19:22
Birds can be heartless.

It was a cold drizzly overcast morning. A big black crow was chasing two small sparrows. They were diving and darting every which way. One of the sparrows abruptly landed on the damp sidewalk. I could tell it was just a youngster. The crow landed about two feet in front of it. The mother sparrow landed to the side and behind her tired child with an anxiety as if to say, "My poor baby. Why have you given up?"

Just then the big black crow stepped forward and snatched the little sparrow up in its beak. It tossed the small bird up into the air and caught it again in its beak with a forceful snap. The crow hopped twice and flew up into the air as the mother sparrow looked on helplessly.

The crow flew up and landed on the front-facing peak of the roof of the house. It placed the tiny sparrow under its foot and viciously ripped at its chest tearing out globbs of feathers. The crow then picked up the murdered sparrow and flew away with it into the cold bleak sky.

JM

that is a sad story, though the way i looked at it its survival of the fitest.

jmorton
2007 September 25th, 14:09
that is a sad story, though the way i looked at it its survival of the fitest.

I've got at least 3 more really good bird stories. But they are obviously off topic regarding the HV20.

But upon special request I will post them here.

Otherwise I will post them on my website if I remember in a few months when I get it up.

JM :)

Ian-T
2007 September 25th, 14:13
I'm interested....FYI. I really did not know birds eat other birds (you learn something new everyday I guess).

Murrelet
2007 September 25th, 14:55
Very common here. Crows and ravens hunt quietly in early spring, flitting from tree to tree looking for nests, then taking away any eggs and baby birds, mostly robins, as well from the ground, ducklings both wild and domestic. The cacophony the robins set up is always an alert that the crows and ravens are about plucking babies from the nests. They drop a lot as well, we've found several babies with feathers ripped out and guarded them until the crows have left, then moved the babies back to where all the racket is centred and hope for the best. The problem is once the nests have been found, the crows are clever enough to return over and over until they're empty.

The other thing I often see is the Peregrine Falcons hitting small birds in flight, just an amazing sight, as they are missiles when in a dive. Just this summer I've seen several hits when paragliding above them. Just an explosion of feathers (and why is that?).

jmorton
2007 September 26th, 22:08
This young bird was found abandoned in my backyard today,I think it was rejected by its parents....

No one noticed how large that baby bird was. And you did not descibe how large its parents were. I'm thinking that its parents were half the size of this baby bird.

I think I recognized the specie.

It may not have been abandoned. But it might have been kicked out of the nest by the not-so-stupid parents.

I think that baby bird was a cookoo bird. Yep. And here's the story about cookoos if you didn't know.

The mother and father cookoo look for a nest of another bird specie and lay thier cookoo egg in it. Then they leave. I've seen pictures of such a nest with two small eggs and one large cookoo egg.

The unwitting nesters hatch all three eggs and feed all three baby birds. But soon the voracious baby cookoo will throw the other two little baby birds out of the nest and gorge on the food the foster parent birds bring it.

It may be that in this case the adoptive parent birds were smart enough to kick out the cookoo. Hopefully it was before their own babies bit the dust.

jmorton
2007 September 26th, 22:35
I'm interested....FYI. I really did not know birds eat other birds (you learn something new everyday I guess).

Okay. These are firsthand stories: not from books. I can thnk of two right now.

1. I once saw a crow sitting on the top of a chain link fence. (At the time I remembered how merciless that crow was that ate that little sparrow.) Well, just about two feet to its right sat a falcon on the same fence. The crow kept looking at the falcon then looking away. I think the crow wanted to fly away. But every time the crow looked at the falcon the falcon would look back at the crow. Then the crow would hesitate. Back and forth it went. I think I could see the blood draining out of that pale crow. And I thought I could see that falcon smiling. Seemed to me that the inevitable was realized between the two of them and the crow was just hesitating to keep itself alive for just a little bit longer because it knew that as soon as it made a move to fly away that the falcon would get it. I left at that time.

2. This one is strangely funny. I came across two jet black crows. One crow was swooning all over the other. And the other was walking slowly about looking over its shoulder at the other enamored crow. (Now, remember when you were a little kid in school. You cut out little paper figures and glued them to some paper to make a collage? Remember that bottle of Elmers glue when you'd squeeze the bottle: you'd get that long bead of white glue?) Well, all over the back of the one crow (I'm not exaggerating) was about a two foot long twisting and overlapping white bead of ... That one crow was in love. And the other crow just looked at him like he was just so so foolish.

framecut
2007 September 27th, 00:30
This young bird was found abandoned in my backyard today,I think it was rejected by its parents :( it has a swelling or abscess on it right eye. Once I was finished filming its arent flew in, happily I left it, hoping it would be taken back... sadly that wasn't the case. RIP little bird.

Filmed with canon HDV HV20 - TV MODE @ 25p, editied in premier pro 2.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=prV0vUBFEpw

- Marty.

Nice footage, but seriously: Birds carry bugs/insects that are gross.

Wash your hands, be careful when handling wild animals.

africanmarty
2007 September 28th, 06:19
Nice footage, but seriously: Birds carry bugs/insects that are gross.

Wash your hands, be careful when handling wild animals.

thanks, i'm a veterinary nurse so i made sure i did ;)

Kyser
2007 October 1st, 10:41
Really nice footage, too bad about the end result.

Great looking youtube clip btw!
Nice work.

Mike

africanmarty
2007 October 1st, 16:04
thanks.

daniel_bt
2007 October 3rd, 18:58
that is decent work, for a video on YouTube, its extremely clear :D

nice job! Shows exactly the camera I'm getting soon....the HV20!

threadhanger
2007 October 3rd, 22:15
Birds can be heartless.

JM

You sound like you'd be good at writing a screenplay. Want to collaborate on something?:hv20-smilie122:

jmorton
2007 October 4th, 05:38
You sound like you'd be good at writing a screenplay. Want to collaborate on something?:hv20-smilie122:

I wrote a screenplay. It's very original: a vampire in the KGB. Lots of action. 124 pages and well structured. Everyone tells me that it is very good. One person told me that I have a knack for writing action. Maybe you'd like to take a look. Seeing is believing.

Email me and let me know what you might have in mind.

jmorton123@rock.com