PDA

View Full Version : XHA1 versus XHA1s

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 30th, 17:56
Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone was filled in on the differences between the Canon XHA1 and XHA1s.
I've heard they made a few adjustments and solved a few problems.

Anyone know what exactly they are?

Erik

spideralex90
2009 May 30th, 18:07
I think it's posted on the canon website, i'll try and find out, but from what i remember the changes were pretty small.

spideralex90
2009 May 30th, 18:09
you can do a compare now thing on their website, but it's sort of unclear to me. Try searching google you'll find something i'm sure.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 30th, 18:42
Yeah, their compare tool is terrible. I heard there were no major changes, just small adjustments. For example, the screws for attaching a shotgun mic to the camera were increased in size. Stuff like that. Yeah I will continue to google it.

badhairdude
2009 May 30th, 23:28
google it for sure,

i would for the xha1 cause its more cheaper and not worth the 400 difference

politikill
2009 May 30th, 23:51
I just bought an a1s and it's worth the 400.00 extra dollars.

Rumpelgeist
2009 May 31st, 00:02
I thought the difference was $1K -- $3K vs. $4K.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 00:58

Okay, why's that?

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 01:48
Answered my own question.

http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=676

politikill
2009 May 31st, 09:10
LOL, I ended up buying through Bnh, and used the link on this site to help earn a few bucks. At BnH they sold out of the old xha1 a few weeks ago, but they had the price still listed on both models, only 400.00 dollar diff.

politikill
2009 May 31st, 09:17
One of the upgrades on the list you provided said that it added flags for 2:3 PULLDOWN.
I thought the original had flags too. Is this a type o , or is it an upgrade. If so, do the original xha1 users need cineform to capture and remove pulldown ? or will adobe do it in the canon24f setting ? just curious.

Rumpelgeist
2009 May 31st, 12:58
One of the upgrades on the list you provided said that it added flags for 2:3 PULLDOWN.
I thought the original had flags too. Is this a type o , or is it an upgrade. If so, do the original xha1 users need cineform to capture and remove pulldown ? or will adobe do it in the canon24f setting ? just curious.
This is all explained in the operation manual. Alternatively, you may want to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV#HDV_1080p The A1/G1 records native progressive HDV. There is no pulldown. Pulldown flags were added to HD-SDI output.

Duke
2009 May 31st, 13:00
I have the XH-A1a (the second model, not the original) and CS3 converts 24f to 24p automatically. I don't need to do a thing.

If Wiki says it records 24p it's wrong. It records 24f off of an interlaced chip. This results in a 10% resolution loss, which is then partially recovered by an offset and interpolated green channel for an image that's 24p on the timeline of your NLE and very, very close to 24p in resolution.

There are some differences between the s and a models, but it depends on what you are doing whether you'll notice it or not.

The S allows:

Focusing while zooming.
Using XLR on one channel and the on board mic on the other.
Combines instant auto focus with auto focus for hybrid TVAF.
LCD screen has been improved with an expanded display area
Improved interchangeability of connector covers,
Improved tripod base
The headphone terminal now has a metal base
More vibration-resistant external microphone holder

My responses:
1. Film purists don't zoom while filming. Live events people do.
2. Stick one mic in the on board holder and running both off xlr is the same.
3. Does focus faster than AF, but not as fast as IAF, but doesn't hunt like IAF will on tough scenes.
4. Helps if not using an external monitor. Still no focus asst will recording.
5. I don't care about covers.
6. I never had a problem with the tripod base.
7. I could see how this would help careless people that yank on the wire.
8. The few times I used that holder I wrapped the mic in foam first, but an external vibration absorbing system is better.

As for flags in the HD-SDI stream, that's only for the G1, the A1 doesn't have it.

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 13:23
Duke, thanks for the review of the difference of the S model. The focus while zooming will be very important to me althought now I'm trained to operate with one hand on the zoom ring. :(

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 14:16
So, tell me about how exactly they changed the LCD? What do you mean exactly when you say expanded display area?

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 15:00
Duke, now you got me thinking getting the XH-A1s too... $$$

How much you paid for yours?

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 15:04
Yeah the XHA1 footage I've seen looks brilliant and the EX1 is about twice the price anyway.

Would you say b&h photo is the best place to pick up an XHA1s for the cheapest price?

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 15:08
B&H might not have the cheapest price. but it certainly give you peace of mind when purchasing big ticket items like that. Also try to pay with credit card or amex that comes with additional protection and warranty free.

Also, best to click the B&H banner in the forum to buy there so to help the forum offset some of the running cost too.

Duke
2009 May 31st, 15:12
So, tell me about how exactly they changed the LCD? What do you mean exactly when you say expanded display area?

I don't know for sure. They say very little but mentioned 80% vs 85%. The resolution of the LCD and EVF remains the same.

Either overscan is reduced, or (I think more likely but I don't know why they didn't say it more clearly) the focus assist zooms in 5% more.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 15:12
B&H might not have the cheapest price. but it certainly give you peace of mind when purchasing big ticket items like that. Also try to pay with credit card or amex that comes with additional protection and warranty free.

Also, best to click the B&H banner in the forum to buy there so to help the forum offset some of the running cost too.

Well who do you think would be beating them out?

As well, I'm a student from Canada so what taxes would I have to end up paying on the camera?

Duke
2009 May 31st, 15:16
Duke, now you got me thinking getting the XH-A1s too... $$$

How much you paid for yours?

I have the "A" model like you. Paid $2,300 for the camera, several extra large batteries, case, tapes, UV filter, etc. used. I figure I paid about $2,100 for the camera.

My research has always been that B&H is always among the lowest prices for a legitimate authorized seller. (Gray market warranties are often no good.) As said, you can't buy peace of mind.

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 15:21
$3,400 in B&H.. ouch

Duke
2009 May 31st, 15:31
$3,400 in B&H.. ouch

It beats the $3,999 they were asking a few months ago when they were asking $2,999 for the XH-A1a.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 15:34
I have the "A" model like you. Paid $2,300 for the camera, several extra large batteries, case, tapes, UV filter, etc. used. I figure I paid about $2,100 for the camera.

How'd you end up grabbin all those accessories for under 200? What case did you buy?

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 15:35
There is an XH-A1a ?!?!?

The Canon WD-H72 costs $350.. another ouch

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 15:36
Earwiggs, I have the highest capacity BP-970G for sale to be used with XH-A1. They are totally reliable and durable. I'm using them at weddings. After almost 2 years, still hold charge well.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 15:40
When he says XHA1a he must just mean the XHA1..
The XHA1s is $3,399 and I would think that would be dropping to level out at about $3,100 come summer. In canadian dollar 3,399 is about 3,700 and the XHA1s up here is selling for 4,600 LOL.

Thanks for the heads up Lunchbox but I'm not in the market to buy anything right now, perhaps a couple months down the road. I'm hoping I win a couple contests for cash I've entered.

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 22:05
I think I'm sold on XH-A1s. I will be ordering one tonight.

erikbaldwinson
2009 May 31st, 22:55
haha awesome dude, keep us filled in! I'm really interested to hear how that camera works out for you. Will you be ordering it from B&H?

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 23:26
I Just found out another new feature of the XH-A1s. It allows you to assign OIS on/off to a physical button. That would be a big huge plug to be able to turn on/off OIS instantly without going through the menu.

Duke
2009 May 31st, 23:29
I can see the S model being an improvement for those doing live event shooting like you do lunchbox.

Lunchbox
2009 May 31st, 23:36
That's hwy I'm getting one =).. tired of color matching output from A1 and HV30. Also have to use the light trick on HV30 to shoot in dark reception room. Also better sound using XLR than the 3.5mm input.

I'm going to use the new XH-A1s as the main cam. Then the current XH-A1 as B-Roll. One HV30 on steadicam and backup. WIll have to sell one HV30 afterwards.

Duke
2009 May 31st, 23:48
When he says XHA1a he must just mean the XHA1..

My understanding is that the original XH-A1 had some problems so it was almost immediately replaced by the XH-A1a and almost all of those released were XH-A1a. My camera says XH-A1a on the plate on the bottom.

erikbaldwinson
2009 June 1st, 02:36
oh hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Watermoore
2009 June 2nd, 01:03

the only change in regards to pulldown flags is directed to Hd-Sdi. I shoot in 24f all the time capturing through firewire. No pull down required. it captures as 23.397. I poped for the XHa1 got it for just under 3k. In my opinion the only useful change is AGC limiter. If you just starting out or under prepared the audio spliting feature may be nice (XLR+Onboard) but I use a Wireless Lav and a Shotgun so I dont need that feature. Granted the graduated starting and stopping of the zoom is nice but not worth an extra 1K.

erikbaldwinson
2009 June 2nd, 01:17
How does the zoom feel to you? Are you really able to snap the zoom when you want to, how's the control?

Erik

politikill
2009 June 2nd, 08:17
Thanks, watermoore. That was something that i had been wondering about for a bit now.
I have another scenario for you. If I were to take a tape recorded on the xha1 24f and play it in an hv30 as a deck , would it play it with the flags inserted and remove pulldown or would i need the xha1 to use as a deck. I dont have my hv30 on hand to try it out.

Lunchbox
2009 June 2nd, 10:12
XH-A1 records as 24fps in 24F mode. There is no pulldown inserted when using HV30 as a playback deck.

Duke
2009 June 3rd, 00:44
For that matter I don't think the HV20/30 inserts flags no matter what it plays.

But the HV20/30 plays 24f perfectly.