PDA

View Full Version : Creative Commons-licensed music for videographers

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 6th, 21:54
This is not a post about some footage, but for an important part for most videos posted here: music.

I wrote the following blog post earlier, and I think it's an important read for everyone who uses music on their videos:
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/09/06/creative-commons-licensed-music-for-videographers/

It will hopefully clear up a few things about music usage on non-commercial videos and also provide some solutions. I decided to write this because from my discussions with a lot of videographers online, on IM and in my personal life, most of them had no clear idea of what is what and what to use to be on the right side of the law. So, I decided to sit down tonight and write about it.

veg
2007 September 7th, 02:39
If you're in the UK and shooting weddings, you can buy a licence to use up to 25 minutes of any music you like for 5 DVD Copies for 25.
http://www.wvrl.co.uk/richtext.asp?page_id=30&content_id=38

tkmslee
2007 September 7th, 10:19
Now that would be nice to have in the U.S. We are all money hungry mongers over here. I do love my country...I even served for 5 years.

Too bad they can't be more lenient on the wedding video industry. Especially with non commercial videos.

I know a ton of DPs use whatever music they want for their demo reels without getting permissions...but I guess that's on them.

Thanks for the blog link!

transducr
2007 September 7th, 12:07
Now that would be nice to have in the U.S. We are all money hungry mongers over here. I do love my country...I even served for 5 years.

Too bad they can't be more lenient on the wedding video industry. Especially with non commercial videos.

I know a ton of DPs use whatever music they want for their demo reels without getting permissions...but I guess that's on them.

Thanks for the blog link!

For non-commercial use, there's almost no way to regulate usage, except the honor system and, honestly, I don't think many musicians really care about that.

Now when you talk about the wedding video INDUSTRY...I have no financial soft spot whatever for people who service weddings in any capacity. Weddings are the biggest money pit ever and people who work in that industry are well paid to do it.

When a "film"-maker creates something new, it's a gamble whether anyone will ever pay them for it. Same thing when a musician makes/records their music. When someone shoots a wedding video (barring total catastrophe) it's a guaranteed sale. It's much more of a product, plain and simple, than a traditional motion picture. There's not really a gamble involved: people are going to see it and people are going to pay for it. So everyone whose creativity made it happen, needs to get paid too. :)

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 9th, 04:39
Hehe, start a wedding business in Greece... nobody asks for such license fees there... You don't even need a license to shoot wherever you want...

transducr
2007 September 10th, 00:02
Hehe, start a wedding business in Greece... nobody asks for such license fees there... You don't even need a license to shoot wherever you want...

Yeah, but then you have to live in Greece. Gotta weigh these things out, you know. ;)

twoneil
2007 September 10th, 06:09
http://www.nightsongproductions.com/
I've been using these royalty free music from this site specifically for wedding videos. It's only one style though and you have to buy the music.

spiffyman
2007 September 10th, 16:11
Eugenia, I saw that John Buckman commented on your blog post. Let me just endorse Magnatune's music and licensing. I've listened to their artists for quite a few years and their licensing terms are spelled out specifically depending on what you want to do with your video - podcasts, commercial dvd, radio ad, onlive video, etc.

Highly recommended by someone who has nothing to gain by their success or failure - http://www.magnatune.com

Eugenia Loli-Queru
2007 September 10th, 16:55
Yeah, as I wrote in my blog post, it makes more sense to license an album under the "youtube" Magnatune license for $5, than to use Creative Commons music. You can choose between 500 albums from Magnatune, while there are only 60 to choose from the Creative Commons "BY" license (which is the only sub-license that allows audio-video syncing in acceptable terms).

To me, this shows a fundamental failure of CC and I have brought the matter in the attention of their Board of Directors last Friday. Two of them replied so far, both agreed with my observations.